Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Donegal

Options
  • 22-12-2010 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi. I live in County Donegal about midway between Lifford and Derry. My local exchange at St Johnston - according to Eircom's website - was scheduled to be broadband enabled at the end of December. And that was LAST YEAR, December 2009. Ever since that date passed the planned connection date has been removed from your website and we appear to have been " put on the long finger". We are now listed as "planned to be broadband enabled" , but no date is shown ,and that's been listed on Eircom's website for more than a year now. http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/your-area.asp?id=5 I have phoned Eircom, written to Eircom, emailed Eircom using the link on the website. And nobody has bothered to reply. And I'm delighted to stumble across this thread whilst surfing ( using my painfully slow 150kps ! O2 dongle) and I am now asking a representative from Eircom - when they are trumpeting the rolling out of super fast 2nd generation broadband in many areas down the country - why our our local exchange hasn't been broadband enabled and according to your maps on your website, all the surrounding exchanges, many with smaller populations, have already been connected?
    And most of all.......WHEN are we scheduled to be connected to the rest of the www? After all, we pay the same line rental etc to Eircom as the rest of the nation.......don't we ? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Seanog69 wrote: »
    Hi. I live in County Donegal about midway between Lifford and Derry. My local exchange at St Johnston - according to Eircom's website - was scheduled to be broadband enabled at the end of December. And that was LAST YEAR, December 2009. Ever since that date passed the planned connection date has been removed from your website and we appear to have been " put on the long finger". We are now listed as "planned to be broadband enabled" , but no date is shown ,and that's been listed on Eircom's website for more than a year now. http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/your-area.asp?id=5 I have phoned Eircom, written to Eircom, emailed Eircom using the link on the website. And nobody has bothered to reply. And I'm delighted to stumble across this thread whilst surfing ( using my painfully slow 150kps ! O2 dongle) and I am now asking a representative from Eircom - when they are trumpeting the rolling out of super fast 2nd generation broadband in many areas down the country - why our our local exchange hasn't been broadband enabled and according to your maps on your website, all the surrounding exchanges, many with smaller populations, have already been connected?
    And most of all.......WHEN are we scheduled to be connected to the rest of the www? After all, we pay the same line rental etc to Eircom as the rest of the nation.......don't we ? :mad:

Hi Seanog69,

I will look into the broadband situation for your line and exchange and I will get back to you by the end of the week if you can PM your tel no as a reference point that would be great.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seanog69

Hi Mark, Thanks for the fast reply. PM sent, looking forward to hearing from you. No great panic on the enquiry, I know it's Christmas, and as I've been waiting patiently....I'm sure it'll keep till after the holidays :)

And may I wish a very happy Christmas to you and indeed to all board members.

Hi Mark, Thanks for the fast reply. PM sent, looking forward to hearing from you. No great panic on the enquiry, I know it's Christmas, and as I've been waiting patiently....I'm sure it'll keep till after the holidays :)

Hi Sean,

Got the PM thanks, yes it could be late next week brfore I get back to you.

Merry Christmas, Mark

Hi Sean,

Sorry about the late reply, I am afraid there is no indication for the St Johnston exchange in Donegal. I have been trying to get any time -frame with no avail I'm afraid.

If and when I get any information I will let you know.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seanog69

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. That's pretty much been the situation for over a year now - nobody at Eircom able to give any date. At least you were good enough to even reply to my question, unlike previous enquiries I made.

I can tell you that it definitelywas listed on the Eircom website for some months in late 2009 as being scheduled for conversion in December 2009 but they didn't make that deadline and then the planned connection date was taken down altogether and there have been no developments ever since. And nobody seems to know nothing about it. Talk about dashing people's hopes. Maybe Eircom needed the money to launch newer and even faster broadband for more important areas....

Pretty poor show from Eircom if you ask me. :(

• Advertisement

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. That's pretty much been the situation for over a year now - nobody at Eircom able to give any date. At least you were good enough to even reply to my question, unlike previous enquiries I made.

I can tell you that it definitelywas listed on the Eircom website for some months in late 2009 as being scheduled for conversion in December 2009 but they didn't make that deadline and then the planned connection date was taken down altogether and there have been no developments ever since. And nobody seems to know nothing about it. Talk about dashing people's hopes. Maybe Eircom needed the money to launch newer and even faster broadband for more important areas....

Pretty poor show from Eircom if you ask me. :(

Hi Sean,

Yes I see the A-Z site has the St Johnston exchange as due to be broadband enabled. I am looking into this and I will get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

More than a year later - is there any update on broadband for St. Johnston? A member of my family has moved into a house there and I cannot believe there is no basic broadband available for that area in 2012 :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

St Johnston was promised basic ADSL ( not the 24mbit NGB packages) in April 2007.

After 5 years eircom cannot even promise a specific live date. eircom have €300m earmarked for investment in 2012 right through the examinership process. St Johnstone can be done for less than 0.1% of that amount....which amount will probably be spent on GAA sponsorship instead. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Eircom has full page ad in Sunday papers promising to improve 3G coverage. Hopefully this will include St Johnston in a few years. As you know broadbandatoz.ie has been shut down without explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Teagwee wrote: »
    More than a year later - is there any update on broadband for St. Johnston? A member of my family has moved into a house there and I cannot believe there is no basic broadband available for that area in 2012 :eek:

Hi Teagwee,

Unfortunately I don't have a further update from Mark's previous post. eircom doesn't have any plans to upgrade St. Johnston, Donegal.

If I do get more information, I will post it.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement

eircom doesn't have any plans to upgrade St. Johnston, Donegal.
    Why did you lie for years and say you did?? It was marked as 'coming' on Broabandatoz.ie as late as June/July 2011.

Hi Teagwee,

Unfortunately I don't have a further update from Mark's previous post. eircom doesn't have any plans to upgrade St. Johnston, Donegal.

If I do get more information, I will post it.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Strange! An Eircom rep on the phone yesterday told her that it was scheduled for June or July this year :confused: Although I'd say you will be proved right in the end, going by other responses on this thread re other false promises. Very disappointing but thanks for your honest reply.

Take it to the CEO by letter.

Paul Donovan eircom CEO, Heuston Square Dublin 8.

Tell us what he says.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Take it to the CEO by letter.

Paul Donovan eircom CEO, Heuston Square Dublin 8.

Tell us what he says.

I'll try to get her to do that - the trouble is that she's not with Eircom, so they'll quite likely blow her off as a result :( She's under contract to UTV from her old house and can't move even if she wanted to.

Advertisement