Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar got world cup 2022 - why not a Euro's for Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

It's not just a case of throwing the seats into already sh**e GAA stadiums. As was said all the TV, journalist and corporate facilities wouldn't be there. The GAA wouldn't let the FAI use 7/8 stadiums so all new stadiums would have to be built? Money instantly rules that out for the distant future. Public transport and enough hotel rooms? LOL! This country is in no way fit to host anything of that magnitude and it never will. Who wants to go to Castlebar to watch Slovenia against Greece anyway?

Doesn't matter how positive anyone is, it will never happen. It's not negativity, it's realism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

why bother posting that rubbish then?

:confused::confused::confused:

To let the OP know that I thought it was a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Bunging in a few seats to make it all seater is a complete and total underestimation of whats needed to turn a decent sized stadium into a stadium big enough to host games in a Euro Championship.

They are doing that for the Qatar WC. The seats are being donated to Africa after.
    Dublin not having Croke Park secured for soccer and no other stadium built.

They would get Croker for something as important as this. Especially since the precedent of soccer being played in Croker has been set.
    2 many stadiums in one city (glasgow times 3)

Qatar bid includes 6 stadiums in one city...

What do you do with the 10/12 stadiums after the tournament? They'd never be used or at least never reach full capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    What do you do with the 10/12 stadiums after the tournament? They'd never be used or at least never reach full capacity.

this point has already been covered.

max we would need would be 6,as we could never host this on our own, so would have to share..

the second point, would be that we would just redevelop existing stadiums, rugby and Gaa. there are plans to have a 60,000 all seater stadium in cork and 40,000 in belfast for instance. then galway and limerick would be our other 2 options.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

this point has already been covered.

max we would need would be 6,as we could never host this on our own, so would have to share..

the second point, would be that we would just redevelop existing stadiums, rugby and Gaa. there are plans to have a 60,000 all seater stadium in cork and 40,000 in belfast for instance. then galway and limerick would be our other 2 options.

Really for what team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Where are these plans to have a 60k stadium in Cork that will be 4 star criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

who knows where we will be in 20 years time. we could have top class, all seater stadiums in cork, limerick and galway

Homerjay, I admire your optimism, but just accept that this is pie in the sky stuff. What the hell do we need big new all-seater stadiums in Cork, Limerick and Galway for? This country can't afford to organise a welly-throwing contest at the moment, nor for the foreseeable future either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

They would get Croker for something as important as this. Especially since the precedent of soccer being played in Croker has been set.

Will you get a grip. Those fascists would never assist anything that would blow them out of the already shallow water they are in like a EC or WC in Ireland.

Anyone who thinks the Gah would shoot themselves in the foot by helping the mortal enemy host something like this needs to seriously get real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

the second point, would be that we would just redevelop existing stadiums, rugby and Gaa. there are plans to have a 60,000 all seater stadium in cork and 40,000 in belfast for instance. .

I bet you €1000 to the charity of your choice that neither happens in the next 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Will you get a grip. Those fascists would never assist anything that would blow them out of the already shallow water they are in like a EC or WC in Ireland.

Anyone who thinks the Gah would shoot themselves in the foot by helping the mortal enemy host something like this needs to seriously get real

People said that about the rugby and soccer.

I don't think it can be ruled out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'm more then qualified to speak on Galway's need for a 60,000 seater stadium - there is none!! Pearse Stadium is too big and that's only 35,000. Tiny support base for every team in Galway.

A sad and pathetic attitude to take towards the GAA. It's a moronic remark made by someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

What mortal enemy? You mean the same mortal enemy who played a host of games in Croke Park over the last few years? I don't see how the GAA shot themselves in the foot with that, despite protests from a minority of idiots who seem to think it's still 1916 (and they were a small minority in the end).

Would they give them Croke Park for something like a European Championship final? They probably would, provided it didn't clash with a big GAA game, as renting out the stadium before was a win-win situation all round.

But it's all irrelevant anyway. The main barrier to hosting a major tournament here is the poor quality of our domestic league, that's the simple reason we lack decdent stadiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

aidan24326 wrote: »
    What mortal enemy? You mean the same mortal enemy who played a host of games in Croke Park over the last few years?
    They made millions from playing football there, its not as if they did it for altruistic reasons :rolleyes:. Besides, Rule 41 is back in effect. And why would FIFA/UEFA be interested in paying the Gah millions of Euros to rent their sub-par ground when there are hundreds of football stadiums all over the continent?

Im reading this thread, but Im not quite believing it. The Walter Mitty reasoning is quite unbelievable. FIFA are charged with developing football - they arent going to come into this country, help develop facilities for the GAA and the IRFU, play their little tournament and then hand them over to those rival organisations to use against the development of football here. Use your heads for gods sake.

Only on boards.ie could someone propose hosting a European Championship without actually developing the game of football in the country its hosted in. Basically the proponents of this are looking for an "event" that they can attend. Quelle surprise.

Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As for both ThomondPk and Croke Pk, will the rugby and in particular the GAA people be happy at being denied the use of their grounds/premises for the ~6 weeks of the tournament. No gaa games in Croker for June and most of July, and "Oi, mister GAA president, get the fcuk out of this office, its Monsieur Platini's for the next month".

Its such a nonrunner it's laughable.

As far as this goes not many Rugby games are played at Thomend during the Summer (not so much Croker and the GAA though) & they have Musgrave park they use for games also down in Cork so I would imagine the IRFU would be happy to get paid for Thomend.

The Infastructure of the country as a whole though would let any potential bid down as the country is set up for national competitions like this not international ones where transport/accomodation etc will be called into question in terms of providing for all travelling fans/media etc.

Even if more than one stadium was allowed in Dublin and other grounds were made available or converted the stadia would not be what would let such a bid down imo. However I am curious about that cant have x amount of stadiums in the same city bit. Quatar is the size of Leinster is something I heard thrown about a number of times yet they can host a world cup solo? hmm i guess quatar is just a bad example but then again it was the one used in the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

quatar has got trillions to spend on the world cup........we have not got a pot to piss in.........i can NEVER see a major tournament being held in this country........Europa final is as good as it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Could Croke Park be used in a European Championship? What with Hill 16 being a terrace and all?

lads, all the points being made here are valid. as it stands, we have no chance of doing this, as we have no money. this wont change for a long long time.

but i am basing my optimism on being a regular visitor to poland, where we right now are light years ahead of them in terms of where we are in the world and they will still manage to do this. if they can do it, we certainly can. we have developed at an unreal pace for the last 20 years and while we have taken a big step back in the last 2 years and probably will regress further, there is a solid base to start from, if/when this country gets back in gear which i hope it will eventually.

but i am basing my optimism on being a regular visitor to poland, where we right now are light years ahead of them in terms of where we are in the world
    We are light years behind them in football terms. Have a look at their grounds.

plock1.jpg
    slaski2.jpg
    kielce4.jpg
    wisly1.jpg
    lechastadion4.jpg

We live in the country with the worst football infrastructure in the western world. There has been practically zero investment by football associations or football fans in the game here. We cant even run a professional league here and you want to run a European Championships. It will NEVER happen.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »

We live in the country with the worst football infrastructure in the western world. There has been practically zero investment by football associations or football fans in the game here. We cant even run a professional league here and you want to run a European Championships. It will NEVER happen.

and tell me, when did they build most of these stadiums? for those of who think eastern europe is rolling in cash, they are not. they are poor countries with no money. none what so ever. the transport infrastructure was terrible 2 years ago, like ireland in the 70's.

my missus mate is a professional footballer in Krakow and a polish international and the averge to upper paid LOI players are on more money than him.

and i dont know why you keep referring this to being football only, referring i believe to the fact that our grounds are only 6,000 (apologies if this is not you). this would have to involve the GAA and rugby and the base for our bids would be using existing grounds such as (PUC, thomand, Salthill, Casement park) etc etc with the propest to upgrade all of them to the required standard if we ever got the bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

this would have to involve the GAA and rugby and the base for our bids would be using existing grounds such as (PUC, thomand, Salthill, Casement park) etc etc with the propest to upgrade all of them to the required standard if we ever got the bid.

Would you go and sh1te!

For fcuksake , are you for real? As long as you get your tournament it doesn't matter who benefits in the long run, so lets use money to upgrade stadiums that are in competition with the LOI, instead of giving the LOI sides new stadiums. Fcuking joke.

For the record, it's never gonna happen.

and i dont know why you keep referring this to being football only, referring i believe to the fact that our grounds are only 6,000 (apologies if this is not you). this would have to involve the GAA and rugby and the base for our bids would be using existing grounds such as (PUC, thomand, Salthill, Casement park) etc etc with the propest to upgrade all of them to the required standard if we ever got the bid.
    Jesus are you for real? Its hard enough for our clubs to attract punters and you want to upgrade the stadiums for the GAA and Rugby so we have even less chance. And for what? So you can have a few days out?

FIFA/UEFA are not going to breeze in here and back a tournament that doesnt benefit Irish football in any way. Get real.

They made millions from playing football there, its not as if they did it for altruistic reasons :rolleyes:. Besides, Rule 41 is back in effect. And why would FIFA/UEFA be interested in paying the Gah millions of Euros to rent their sub-par ground when there are hundreds of football stadiums all over the continent?

Yes they made money from it, but that wasn't the main reason for doing it. If it was wouldn't they rent out GAA stadiums regularly. And by the way when you talk about 'rival' organisations there's a real sense of an 'us and them', that I often hear from LOI supporters in particular, who seem to view the GAA (not the GAH) with a sense of hostility. The GAA is successful, LOI isn't. Get over it.

Only on boards.ie could someone propose hosting a European Championship without actually developing the game of football in the country its hosted in. Basically the proponents of this are looking for an "event" that they can attend. Quelle surprise.

Pathetic

Well I certainly didn't suggest anything of the kind.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Would you go and sh1te!

For fcuksake , are you for real? As long as you get your tournament it doesn't matter who benefits in the long run, so lets use money to upgrade stadiums that are in competition with the LOI, instead of giving the LOI sides new stadiums. Fcuking joke.

For the record, it's never gonna happen.

I agree with that much. If any investment came into the country in terms of new stadiums etc, for a major soccer tournament, it would have to go to developing LOI grounds and pumping a bit of money into the domestic league here, not into upgrading existing GAA grounds which is just ludicrous.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    And by the way when you talk about 'rival' organisations there's a real sense of an 'us and them', that I often hear from LOI supporters in particular, who seem to view the GAA (not the GAH) with a sense of hostility.
    :rolleyes:

Do you really want to have that conversation? Its off topic so give it a rest.

Theres no way a football tournament should be hosted in GAA stadiums. Thats the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

:rolleyes:

Do you really want to have that conversation? Its off topic so give it a rest.

Theres no way a football tournament should be hosted in GAA stadiums. Thats the point.

There is also no way that the GAA will move their entire season to suit another sport. UEFA will want complete access to the stadiums for a massive portion of the summer, which is never going to happen. On a related note, this is a huge stumbling block for any Australian bid for the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

you reckon over 4.5 million people would come here over a month? lol. at max, the most that would come is about 300,000-500,000 and thats at a huge stretch.

I'd say 400,000 coming would double demand for public transport, ie. double the public transport using population

Advertisement