Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will broadband be upgraded any time soon?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Given that upc have just announced a 100mb product will eircom be providing faster speeds like this anytime soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

nudist wrote: »
    Given that upc have just announced a 100mb product will eircom be providing faster speeds like this anytime soon?

Hi nudist,

eircom have bo plans in the immediate future for new higher speed broadband packages. eircom are still rolling out the Next Generation Broadband and 24MB speeds to as many exchanges nationwide as quickly as possible.

If you have any future queries let me know.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Eircom runs on ADSL technology, which maxes out at 24Mb. Its not technically possible for Eircom to have any higher speeds unless the technology the network uses is changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seanog69

Count yourselves lucky. 2011 now and Eircom still haven't "rolled out" even 1st generation broadband in our town in Donegal yet and no announcement of when they will either.......... still using dial-up here......:( only 4 miles outside Lifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Seanog69 wrote: »
    Count yourselves lucky. 2011 now and Eircom still haven't "rolled out" even 1st generation broadband in our town in Donegal yet and no announcement of when they will either.......... still using dial-up here......:( only 4 miles outside Lifford.

Buddy I feel your pain. Currently I have 30Mbps broadband through cable, but previously was on dial up.
    By american standards, Ireland has a ridiculously low percentage of people who have true broadband. The yanks claim that Broadband must be a minimum of 4mbps. And to be perfectly honest, I couldn't agree more.
    I know several exchanges in Tipperary which are yet to be upgraded to what eircom defines "broadband ready". Although most consumers in those areas will still only get maybe 1mbps.
    The OECD claim that broadband must be a minimum speed of 256kbps, but in fairness thats a load of crap...

Of course, this is all not necessarily Eircom's fault, don't get me wrong. A lot of it is down to the limitations of the technology. But nevertheless, I feel Eircom could try harder.

Sorry to thread-jack. Went on a bit of a rant. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seanog69

roast wrote: »
    Buddy I feel your pain. Currently I have 30Mbps broadband through cable, but previously was on dial up.
    By american standards, Ireland has a ridiculously low percentage of people who have true broadband. The yanks claim that Broadband must be a minimum of 4mbps. And to be perfectly honest, I couldn't agree more.
    I know several exchanges in Tipperary which are yet to be upgraded to what eircom defines "broadband ready". Although most consumers in those areas will still only get maybe 1mbps.
    The OECD claim that broadband must be a minimum speed of 256kbps, but in fairness thats a load of crap...

Of course, this is all not necessarily Eircom's fault, don't get me wrong. A lot of it is down to the limitations of the technology. But nevertheless, I feel Eircom could try harder.

Sorry to thread-jack. Went on a bit of a rant. :P

Not at all. Glad to hear you got yours sorted out. If Ihad 3mps here I would be delighted. Some of us must just dream on.............:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement