Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi not good enough for Premier league.

• 22-12-2010 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Thought that I'd share this just for a laugh.:pac:

Former Aston Villa and Everton striker A. Gray questions whether Lionel Messi's could perform as well in the English Premier League.
    By Paul Macdonald
    Dec 21, 2010 6:00:00 PM

Top English Premier League TV pundit and journalist A.Gray has sensationally remarked that Barcelona’s World Player of the Year Lionel Messi would struggle to cope with the rigours of the English Premier League, and believes he could not cut it away at Stoke City.

The Sky Sports host, who enjoyed spells with Aston Villa and Everton during his playing career, was discussing the 2010 Ballon d’Or nominees during Monday evening’s broadcast of Manchester City versus Everton.

When asked by co-presenter the hairy-handed halfwit whether he felt Messi and Real Madrid rival Cristiano Ronaldo would be capable of scoring so prolifically in England, Gray stated his belief that the Argentine would "struggle in a cold night at the Britiannia Stadium", referring to the home of top-flight side Stoke City. He added that "Barcelona would struggle in the EPL as they've never played the likes of Stoke."

The 55-year-old also claimed that La Liga, when compared to its English equivalent, did not have the same depth of quality, hinting that Ronaldo and Messi would labour to score as consistently, despite the former scoring 31 goals in 34 matches for Manchester United in the 2007-08 season.

Furthermore, on Ronaldo, Gray criticised the decision to omit the Portuguese from the final of the Ballon d’Or, but added that he "would not be the player that he is today had he not played in English football".

Gray's remarks have caused quite a stir around the world, and the SKY pundit has been heavily criticised on social networking sites such as facebook and twitter.

How is this guy still in a job? A complete airhead when it comes to knowledge of the game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

It'd make Fantasy Football captain choice far too easy each week if Messi was in the EPL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Sure the PL doesnt need Messi,it has Balotelli,next best thing apparantly. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You know its all ridiculous but this bit is the most ridiculous of all. I mean twitter and facebook criticism. LMFAO. Who gives a continental about criticism on those sites?
    Mister men wrote: »

Gray's remarks have caused quite a stir around the world, and the SKY pundit has been heavily criticised on social networking sites such as facebook and twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I can only assume this is Andy Gray ..... the article only mentions A. Gray .... and Mr Gray.

as for his comments .... Messi might struggle with his first winter ... or some clubs he would encounter ..... but being the world superstar and all around football genius that he is ... he would eventually score several goals a game against some of the lesser defences and would probably be heavily involved in many victories for whatever team would be lucky enough to have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

eagle eye wrote: »
    You know its all ridiculous but this bit is the most ridiculous of all. I mean twitter and facebook criticism. LMFAO. Who gives a continental about criticism on those sites?
    Why is it ridiculous? Facebook and twitter would have millions of football fans worldwide.

• Advertisement

Why is it ridiculous? Facebook and twitter would have millions of football fans worldwide.
    Because they are both full of hate pages and stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yeah, not sure I would be rushing to twitter/facebook for analysis of football. Andy Gray is an uber-tool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well finally someone had the balls to say it, god bless you Andy Gray, your insight on football far exceeds any other and your opinions are what enhances my knowledge of the game of football*

*is more then likely not my opinion and there is a good chance i think Gray is a toolbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

He would struggle against Stoke and or Bolton on a cold Wednesday in February?

He has done just fine away to Shaktar Donetsk and Dynamo Kiev in October/November in the CL.

I wonder which is the tougher task?

Andy Gray is a moron. One of the worst pundits to ever be employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'm surprised people are taking offence to it at all tbh, it is Andy Gray after all. It'd be far different if some one like Fergie, Wenger or Harry said it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

If David Silva can adapt to the premier league then without doubt, Messi would have absolutely no trouble.

Andy Gray is a gobshíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Crazy words from him, it's almost like he's employed to promote the premiership for a channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Unearthly wrote: »
    Crazy words from him, it's almost like he's employed to promote the premiership for a channel.

you hit the bulls eye there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Exactly. How many times during a Sky Sports broadcast to we here some crap about how the premiership is the greatest league in the world? He's just waving his little sky sports flag. It's the same reason they make those ridiculous little videos for Chelsea v Arsenal, etc. = Hype.

I Can't really criticize Andy Gray's knowledge of the game and in fairness I can't blame him for doing his job. If you believe any of what he said then you're the real fool.

karma_ wrote: »
    If David Silva can adapt to the premier league then without doubt, Messi would have absolutely no trouble.
    David Silva hasn't looked anything close to the player he was in Spain to this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

The problem with the premier league is refereeing and the tough guy attitude that is heralded there.
    England would want to cop on that fans want to see skilfull players like Messi and Ronaldo but they are being hunted out by the likes of Andy Gray revelling in two footed lunges and 10 minute late tackles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ferguson quite clearly paid Andy off to say this. Messi will hand in a transfer request in January, furious upon hearing this news. Manchester United will sign him for €40 million euro.

What a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Andy Gray is a Numpty .full stop

That is well and good, but there are limits. A good sales person accentuates the positives of his own product. A shít salesman disparages competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Funny how he would struggle in a cold britannia however he has no problem playing exceptional stuff in a cold Moscow or Donetsk in -15.

Also would he struggle in the premiership? From what I recall he made sh!t of Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea when he played them so I'm not sure how he'd struggle. Gotta love the Ronaldo would struggle to score in the prem bit as well. From my recollection he danced on premership defenses while at Man U.

Tool of the highest order but the problem is you know ever red top reader in England is singing Andy's praise for givin it large and tolkin like it es!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

And why does he always do that over-the-top laugh when Richard Keys/Martin Tyler say something mildly amusing? Is he paid extra to do that too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Top English Premier League TV pundit and journalist A.Gray

is he?

Top?

Wow, EPL pundits arent great so. Dunphy must have come in second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

David Silva hasn't looked anything close to the player he was in Spain to this point.
    Possibly not, but hes been one of Citys most successful signings. and he keeps looking better with time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Think the topic title is a little misleading.

I absolutely think he could have hard (er) time at the Britannis having lumps kicked out of him by Huth and co on a cold evening in November.

That could just mean him scoring one rather than three though.

Everytime I hear Andy Grays over reaction to Stephen Gerralds goal in 2005 I die a little. Great goal and vital and all that, but is a co commentator meant to behave like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Unless he means can't play because Ryan Shawcross broke his leg, its banal idiocy from a man who happened to be in the right place at the right time. He was with Sky from day 1, he wouldn't get a job there now.

Its not like Dunphy who carefully constructs controversy. He believes this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

noodler wrote: »
    I absolutely think he could have hard (er) time at the Britannis having lumps kicked out of him by Huth and co on a cold evening in November.

He doesn't have trouble getting lumps kicked out of him when he visits the Riazor or Pamplona, so I'm not sure how much worse that'll be away to 'Blackburn and the long throw ins at the Britannia'.

It's an annoying enough argument, but at the same time, from my recollection, he didn't say that Messi would struggle in the EPL, he stated 'he didn't know how he'd cope'.

One thing that drove me FCUKING crazy though, when comparing Ronaldo to Messi this season, they used a 'games per goal' ratio, which is a deliberate attempt to make Ronaldo's stats look better than Messi's (as he's scored less goals in more goals, so his games per goal ratio is higher). I've never ever in my entire life seen someone use anything other than a goals per game ratio, and the fact that sky flip flopped it to deliberately make Ronaldo look like he's performing better to the Sky Sports masses is a little pathetic imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Thread title is a little misleading tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

As already said people who don't take everything Andy Gray says with a pinch of salt are the real fools, he is there because people think he knows the game and whatever he says they will believe.
    And why does he always do that over-the-top laugh when Richard Keys/Martin Tyler say something mildly amusing? Is he paid extra to do that too...

I hate this with a passion, i must have a stephens day drinking game, every time Andy Gray or Richard Keys laugh take a drink, its so annoying though.

On the actual point, Messi would not struggle, i can't believe he is using Ronaldo as an example in this either, he must have the memory of a goldfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

eZe^ wrote: »
    One thing that drove me FCUKING crazy though, when comparing Ronaldo to Messi this season, they used a 'games per goal' ratio, which is a deliberate attempt to make Ronaldo's stats look better than Messi's (as he's scored less goals in more goals, so his games per goal ratio is higher). I've never ever in my entire life seen someone use anything other than a goals per game ratio, and the fact that sky flip flopped it to deliberately make Ronaldo look like he's performing better to the Sky Sports masses is a little pathetic imo.

I laughed at that as well - pathetic is the word alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

MOG7 wrote: »
    As already said people who don't take everything Andy Gray says with a pinch of salt are the real fools, he is there because people think he knows the game and whatever he says they will believe.

I hate this with a passion, i must have a stephens day drinking game, every time Andy Gray or Richard Keys laugh take a drink, its so annoying though.

On the actual point, Messi would not struggle, i can't believe he is using Ronaldo as an example in this either, he must have the memory of a goldfish.
    You could also have a drink every time he refers to a player by their first name or plays out an imaginary conversation between players

eZe^ wrote: »
    He doesn't have trouble getting lumps kicked out of him when he visits the Riazor or Pamplona, so I'm not sure how much worse that'll be away to 'Blackburn and the long throw ins at the Britannia'.

I still am not going to be so arrogant as to say the best player in the world would struggle in the EPL but I still feel some of the teams in the EPL are more phyiscal (in every sense of the word: legally and illegally) then what he would be subjected to in Spain.

Thats all - if you feel that the most physical (or even anit-football) teams in La Liga are as physical as Stoke (for example) then fair enough.

I still am not going to be so arrogant as to say the best player in the world would struggle in the EPL but I still feel some of the teams in the EPL are more phyiscal (in every sense of the word: legally and illegally) then what he would be subjected to in Spain.

Thats all - if you feel that the most physical (or even anit-football) teams in La Liga are as physical as Stoke (for example) then fair enough.

I think Messi in particular gets kicked week in week out as much as any player in the Britannia.

Stoke are probably a more physical team than most, but Messi gets roughed up by every team he plays aganist.

EDIT: Also, Barcelona would have probably 85% posession against the drooler teams in the EPL, by half time they'd be so knackered they'd have to bring on subs just to keep fouling.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think Messi in particular gets kicked week in week out as much as any player in the Britannia.

Stoke are probably a more physical team than most, but Messi gets roughed up by every team he plays aganist.

No doubt, we are only debating the extents here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Its not so much the league he plays in buts its the team he plays in that makes messi, as great as he is for barca he wouldnt be as good if he played for real madrid, sure compare how he plays for argentina to how he plays for barca, hes not half the player for his country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I don't think they'd be as intense as their EPL, but they are much more cynical imo, they'll tactically target Messi/ Ronaldo/ etc and each take turns to kick him. I'd say Ronaldo has suffered way more fouls per game in La Liga than he did in the EPL, whether that's him going down easier because he thinks he can get away with it is another matter. But at times in La Liga Ronaldo has absolutely lashed out at the fouls he has suffered. I think (and may be wrong) that he has received two red cards from lashing out at foulers in La Liga (he has at least one anyway).

No doubt, we are only debating the extents here.

Yeah, I don't think he'd get any worse at Stoke or Blackburn than he gets at a lot of places.

Barca's massive superiority against these sorts of teams would see him get kicked less if anything as the opposing team would find it hard to stay close.

Yeah, I don't think he'd get any worse at Stoke or Blackburn than he gets at a lot of places.

Barca's massive superiority against these sorts of teams would see him get kicked less if anything as the opposing team would find it hard to stay close.

Thats fair enough.

You could argue he might see alot of the ball in a Stoke game at the Britannia if it spends half the game out of play or in the air as well.

Anyway, football isn't exactly that easy to pre-determine - just guessing here.

drooler teams in the EPL,
    does not compute.

does not compute.

The teams that play long ball battering ram stuff in attack and violent anti-football in defence.

Stoke are probably the team I've seen do it the most. Blackburn are often accused of it as well but I haven't really seen that much of them so can't really comment.

• Advertisement

The teams that play long ball battering ram stuff in attack and violent anti-football in defence.

Stoke are probably the team I've seen do it the most. Blackburn are often accused of it as well but I haven't really seen that much of them so can't really comment.
    Stoke know how to survive in the Premier league, you can't call them droolers on any level.

Blackburn have a reputation which stretches back to Mark Hughes' first season in charge of them in 2004/05. It was one season when he didn't have a great side and used a physical approach to make sure we maintained our Premier League status. We haven't been a physical side since that time.

Stoke know how to survive in the Premier league, you can't call them droolers on any level.

I can call them it based on the definition I've just given it obv :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The EPL Sky presenters like Andy Gray, Wolfman and the idiot panels they get for their live saturday afternoon shows are all obviously told to hype up the EPL as much as they can. I suppose its fair enough really though if he does really think Barca would struggle in the EPL, well thats another story.

Chris Kamara rules though as does the simpleton guy they have on recently, cant think of his name, small white fella often out at the grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Its not so much the league he plays in buts its the team he plays in that makes messi, as great as he is for barca he wouldnt be as good if he played for real madrid, sure compare how he plays for argentina to how he plays for barca, hes not half the player for his country

i have to disagree with ye buddy i seen him in the world cup for argentina and thought he played well considering who he had around him, he should have had a few goals aswell but luck wasnt on his side.

as regards andy grays comments, he is been payed by sky sports and anyone that watches soccer saturday or monday night football would know sky sports is premiership propaganda at its best. ive never heard the premiership critised once its built up to be the greatest in the world and is getting to a stage where i cant even watch it. The pundits on it are robots not allowed to fully express their opinions, pure garbage.

I would honestly hate to see messi in the premiership as i reckon the english game off the field would ruin him or affect his game slightly. He should not have to play premiership just to prove that he is the greatest as we all know he is already the greatest at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

in grays defense some players with big reputations have struggled to adapt to the premiership, shevchenko, veron, crespo, robinho, morientes

on the other side of the coin, i heard a few saying that torres would stuggle to come to terms with the premiership ala morientes but that was proved wrong

imo messi would be successful in england, he is a wonderful talent that i have been lucky enough to see play live in person a few times at the camp nou, even with a barca team not firing on all cylinders in 2007 he was fantastic to watch in person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Andy Grey thinks Barcelona would struggle against stoke? Seriously, is this a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sky would jip themselves if Messi came to the EPL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

They have taken to sniping at La Liga a lot more now that the EPL lacks a really big name star to bumkiss until the cows come home.

Remember their "Rooney is right up there with Messi and Ronaldo" propaganda last season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Andy Grey thinks Barcelona would struggle against stoke? Seriously, is this a joke?

Messi isn't Barcelona. It's quite a simple concept. Players have struggled before in the EPL who've thrived elsewhere. I think Gray is wrong; Messi is above that.

But the guy doesn't walk on water. Who knows how he'd fare in a more physical/competitve league, without perhaps the best midfield of all time behind him? Not quite as good IMO*.

*But still brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Paparazzo wrote: »

No. It's just not what was actually stated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement