Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi not good enough for Premier league.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I listened to his comments and to be honest as soon as he came out with the 'Messi didn't have a great World Cup' line I stopped taking him seriously. I'm with Sid Lowe in being fed up hearing that rubbish spouted, presumably by people who didn't actually watch Argentina's matches but just read the results in the newspaper.

Gray is one of the biggest Premier League zealots going. He has always seemed to be a bit of a Messi begrudger which I think stems back to the time Ronaldo was tearing up the Premiership and the debate about who was better, Messi or Ronaldo, was a lot more fierce than it is now (since the debate has been settled imo). Gray doesn't want to countenance the idea that 'our league, Richard' might be slightly inferior to the Premier League. You can usually hear him bleating the same complaints whenever a top PL player is linked with a move to Spain.

'I'd hate to lose Fabregas from our league, Richard. I want the best players in our league. I mean that. I want to be able to watch and see the best players, Richard.'

Then just tune in to Sky Sports 1 on Saturday evening, genius. Better yet, scrap that 'The Last Word' bullsh*t at 6:30 and let NTL Digital viewers like myself watch the first half of the Barcelona game instead of hearing you explain to hairy hands why it was good for Ashley Cole to have been standing on the goal-line for the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

davyjose wrote: »
    No. It's just not what was actually stated.

He said:
    Barcelona would struggle in the EPL as they've never played the likes of Stoke.

He singled out Stoke as a reason Barca would struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I can't get behiind the thread title at all, but I can get behind what Andy Gray has actually said a little bit. I think a player like Messi would be inevitably successful in any team anywhere, but if there was a place for him to go where he would be least successful, it is definitely the Premiership.

Despite Messi's undeniably unbelivable talents, there isn't another team in the world where they would shine even close to the way they do at Barcelona. If you go ahead and look at the teams in the Premiership, the only 2 that might do him some sort of justice are Arsenal and Man United.

Then the opposition thing is quite relevant too, teams like Stoke etc. would cause Messi problems. Probably not if he was playing them at Barca, because Barca have players like Xavi and Iniesta picking them apart. That isn't happening in the Premiership, bar a few select fixtures, the games between the top teams and those below have been reasonably tight enough.

I don't think that you could say Messi would do a bad job anywhere in the world, but at the same time I don't think he would hit the same heights in the Premiership as Ronaldo did.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

i think people who dont watch la liga shouldnt comment on its quality or physicality, im fairly sure andy grays knowledge of la liga outside of real madrid & barcelona is non-existent, if he spent any time watching it he would see that teams like espanyol, athletic bilbao, osasuna, la coruna are physical.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I would actually love to see Messi play in the EPL. He would do serious damage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Andy Gray seems to think he is doing his job by bigging up the premier league, when in reality he is turning people off. I get the feeling Sky absolutely hate covering La Liga but they feel they have to. As said by a previous poster, they have La Liga on the red button whilst they do the last word. Even though 2 of the 4 stations usually have repeats on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There are some extremely dirty and hostile teams in La Liga...like that of Osasuna, Malaga, that's not much of a new thing for him.

I think Messi in a Barcelona team would have no difficulty in the EPL. If he was at another club playing in the EPL, I don't know if teams can adapt to get the best from him. It's a bit hard to judge how he'd link up with the Nanis, Poulsens, Maloudas and Songs of the EPL to how he does it with Villa, Xavi and Iniesta..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

davyjose wrote: »
    Messi isn't Barcelona. It's quite a simple concept. Players have struggled before in the EPL who've thrived elsewhere. I think Gray is wrong; Messi is above that.

But the guy doesn't walk on water. Who knows how he'd fare in a more physical/competitve league, without perhaps the best midfield of all time behind him? Not quite as good IMO*.

*But still brilliant.
    I agree with this, I'd like to see Messi out of his comfort zone on a team where he has more responsibility and isn't just the icing on the cake, whatever you say about Ronaldo he has done it in Spain and England and proven that he is above the standard in each of them. Messi has never done really well when he's played in England IMO and I would like to see how he would fare. IMO he'd do very well but be nowhere near the standard that Ronaldo was and that Messi is in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

Andy Gray asked Charlie Nicholas how Scotland were doing ?

I think that sums him up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I agree with the comment that the Iniesta and Xavi definitely help Messi. If he had an average midfield we'd have to see how we would do.

BTW I watched every Argentina game at the world cup and Messi didn't cut it for me. He played in every game but failed to score, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Gray is a complete waffler ,I really despise him as a pundit.
    Since Sky resurrected their Monday Night football ,its been unwatchable for me.
    Two plonkers standing in front of a glorified blackboard twiddling with knobs and talking through their arses.
    In the recent Man Utd - Arsenal match ,Gray spent the whole half time interval replaying the goal from about 40 different angles .
    No analysis of the match ,just his twaddle with Keys watching on brighteyed ,nodding approvingly in amazement at Grays knowledge ,like a student to a Professor as if Gray had just discovered how to split the atom.
    Gray is a puppet ,in fact I wouldnt be surprised if he was a robot controlled by Uncle Rupert .

CorkMan wrote: »
    BTW I watched every Argentina game at the world cup and Messi didn't cut it for me. He played in every game but failed to score, simple as.

Too simplistic, hence the problem. What group games did he not 'cut it' in your view?

Too simplistic, hence the problem. What group games did he not 'cut it' in your view?

In all of time. He simply didn't turn up for the world cup. Now I won't go ahead and say his biggest rival at the moment, Cristiano Ronaldo did, but Messi didn't produce any magic.

In all of time. He simply didn't turn up for the world cup. Now I won't go ahead and say his biggest rival at the moment, Cristiano Ronaldo did, but Messi didn't produce any magic.

You thought Messi was poor in the group stages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

did you actually watch the world cup?? Infairness to the fella he created alot of chances and how he didnt score i dont know as i said earlier he didnt have that luck. Out of all the so called ''big'' names in that world cup he was one of the better ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Its getting a bit tiresome seeing some of these comments, nobody will ever know how messi would fare in the premiership unless he moved here tbh, I have my scepticism tbh, Ronaldo made it, im not quite sure Messi could do the same, but its a moot point untill he actually moves to the premiership, same way as I think Fabregas wouldn't be quite as good in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

curry-muff wrote: »
    Its getting a bit tiresome seeing some of these comments, nobody will ever know how messi would fare in the premiership unless he moved here tbh, I have my scepticism tbh, Ronaldo made it, im not quite sure Messi could do the same, but its a moot point untill he actually moves to the premiership, same way as I think Fabregas wouldn't be quite as good in La Liga.

Think Fabregas would become an even greater player playing for Barcelona, can't see how a young player that talented could fail playing with so many world class players.

Just look what he did in the few minutes he had in the world cup final, he was the one who unlocked the Dutch defence when no one else could,

major bill wrote:
    did you actually watch the world cup?? Infairness to the fella he created alot of chances and how he didnt score i dont know as i said earlier he didnt have that luck. Out of all the so called ''big'' names in that world cup he was one of the better ones.

Indeed, in the group stages Messi delivered and had done just about everything but score. A Man Of The Match performance from Enyeama stopped him from scoring against Nigeria, the woodwork denied him against Korea but he was at the heart of everything, and he was again very important against Mexico. He didn't produce his best against Germany that must be said but then again what Argentinian player did?

Here's how his performances were described at the time by the way...

Argentina 1 Nigeria 0
    BBC:

A vociferous Ellis Park crowd showed their appreciation for the entertainment on show, particularly that provided by Argentine forward Lionel Messi, who was the standout performer, creating opportunities for others and on a number of occasions drawing superb saves from impressive Super Eagles keeper Vincent Enyeama.

While Maradona remained a lively source of fascination on the touchlines, his heir apparent, and the man predicted by many to stamp his authority on this World Cup as his iconic coach did in Mexico in 1986, Barcelona's Fifa World Player of the Year Messi, was a magnetic focal point on the pitch.

Operating in a front three alongside Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain and Carlos Tevez of Manchester City - a trio that has scored 105 club goals between them this season - Messi produced a performance befitting of his billing.
    Twice in the first 20 minutes Messi ran at the Nigeria defence and provided scoring opportunities for Higuain, but the first the Real Madrid striker put past the near post from three yards out and then saw his angled drive from further out blocked by Enyeama.

Sandwiched between these two chances Argentina took the lead. Tevez's superb curling shot wad tipped over by Enyeama for a corner, from which Juan Sebastian Veron provided the cross for Heinze to dive in unmarked and head home. The South Americans remained the more likely to score, but they were either wasteful or unable to beat Enyeama, who kept his side as a credible threat in the match with further impressive saves from Higuain and Messi.

There was still time in the final few minutes for Messi to slightly blot his copybook by allowing Enyeama to save from six yards when he should have scored but it is harsh to take away from what was a superb display from the forward and an encouraging victory for Maradona's men.
    The Guardian:

Full time: Argentina 1-0 Nigeria That's it. Argentina should have won by five or six, yet they were not especially convincing with the inevitable exception of Lionel Messi. You can rate the players here if you want. Thanks for your emails; I'm off to find some Quilmes.

Argentina 4 South Korea 1
    BBC:

South Korea coach Huh Jung-Moo, who played against Maradona at the 1986 World Cup, saw his team struggle to live with Argentina's quick tempo and the quality of their pass-and-move football.

They took the lead when Lionel Messi's free-kick from the left hit the unfortunate Park Chu-Young on the knee before flying in and the goal buoyed an already buzzing Albiceleste as they continued to attack the South Korea goal with pace and in numbers.

South Korea's brief forays forward were resulting in the occasional shot from range, with Ki Sung-Yeung's 25-yard screamer flying narrowly over, but after Carlos Tevez had drilled a free-kick inches too high, Argentina doubled their lead thanks to more shaky defending.

This time, Messi and Maxi Rodriguez were allowed all the time and space they wanted to take a quick free-kick down the left and when Maxi's cross was flicked on by Nicolas Burdisso, Higuain had the simple task of nodding in.
    Angel di Maria then forced a flying save from Jung Sung-Ryong, and Messi thrilled the crowd with a brilliantly jinking run before clipping a shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

Higuain's close-range finish brought a stunning save from Jung, and Tevez forced another save from Jung with his 20-yard drive, while at the other end Yeom Ki-Hun wasted a golden chance to get South Korea back on level terms as he shot wide when through one-on-one with Romero after Lee's fine pass.
    Yeom paid the price when Argentina counter-attacked, and after Messi's shot hit the post Higuain tapped in. But they saved their best for last as Messi's stunning chip enabled Sergio Aguero to cross for Higuain to head home to complete his treble.
    The Guardian:

GOAL! Argentina 1-0 South Korea (Chu-young og 16) Messi fizzed in a freekick from the left and, inexcusably, Chu-young, supposedly helping back in defence, was taken by surprise and let it rebound off him and into the net from six yards.

20 min: Messi dabs in another freekick. It grazes the top of Demichelis's mane and droops into the keeper's arms.

27 min: Here's trouble: Cho bundles over Messi to concede a freekick about five yards outside the box, quite central. Messi rolls it to Tevez, who thunders it just over the bar.

31 min: Argentina remain in full control, pinging the ball around with speed and purpose. The Koreans simply can't get near them.
    GOAL! Argentina 2-0 South Korea (Higuain 32') Tevez deserves high praise here. He pursued two Koreans into the corner and then robbed the. They responded by kicking him to the ground and conceding a freekick. Messi took it short to Maxi, who chipped it towards the penalty area. Burdisso flicked on and Higuain, at the back post, nodded past a rather maladroit-looking keeper.

41 min: Messi wins the ball deep in his own half and skitters all the way down the left wing before feeding Tevez. The perfect counter-attack is foiled, however, when Tevez tries to take on a defender too many, rather than pass right to the unmarked Higuain.

43 min: Glorious from Messi! That was one of his PlayStation dribbles, zigzagging through the middle of the Korean defence before attempting a cute lob from the edge of the area. Sadly, it fell inches wide.

47 min: Messi dazzles his way into the Korean box again, but Cho does well to divert it behind for a corner.

48 min: The corner is headed out to the edge of the box, where MEssi arrives ... to send a trickler well wide.

GOAL! Argentina 3-1 South Korea (Higuain 77') Deadly counter-attack. Aguero and Messi exchanged a one-two before the latter fired in a low shot that came back off the post and rolled across the face of goal, inviting Higuian to tap it into the empty net.

GOAL! Argentina 4-1 South Korea (Higuain 80') Smooth and sharp, Argentina tear South Korea apart. Messi, as ever, was instrumental to the attack, his ball to Aguero a thing of sumptuous skill. Aguero's dink across to Higuain was decent too, and all the striker provided an appropriately slick finish, nodding in to the far corner.

88 min: Messi sets off on another dribble from half-way. He makes it as far as the box before being dispossessed.

Full-time: An authoritative performance from the admirably attack-minded Argentina. Sure, they looked a little wobbly at the back but they were a joy to watch going forward and, in the middle, bringing in Maxi for Veron proved a canny decision by manager Maradona. "Great passing skills from Argentina," concludes Mark Rodriguez before providing this accurate comparison. "I think the difference between them and Spain, is not passing skill, but the Argentinians' movement. Spain was passing around, but with very little running movement. Argentina's attacks come at pace. So you have the crisp, lightning-quick passing between players who are running at you. Spain was passing and passing and passing, but in small triangles, with their opponents all set up to defend.

Argentina 3 Mexico 1
    The Guardian:

26 mins: ARGENTINA SCORE! Carlos Tevez gets it. Messi was at the heart of it. A lovely little pass through to Tevez, the ball is blocked by Perez, Messi dinks it forward again and Tevez nods it in. Looking at the replays, however, Tevez was clearly offside. A mass of Mexican players protest. But the goal will stand, albeit wrongly so.

I'm tired of people repeating this myth about Messi's World Cup performance. He was actually one of the few top players who did turn up unlike the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Torres, Van Persie etc. Dismissing his efforts on the grounds that he simply did not score is very lazy analysis.

Edit:

Just noticed I forgot his performance against Greece in the 2-0 win.
    BBC:

Lionel Messi, skippering his side in the absence of the rested Javier Mascherano, had a frustrating evening as he received close attention from his opponents but he almost struck a second after a jinking run ended with a thunderous strike that crashed against the post.

But the second goal did come when another Messi strike was palmed into the path of substitute striker Martin Palermo, who slotted home with his right foot.
    The Guardian:

Despite dominating possession, Argentina struggled to find a path through the labyrinths laid down by Greece's niggly, nine-men-behind-the-ball defence. Even Lionel Messi, named man of the match, struggled to wriggle free of the attentions of his man-marker, Avraam Papastathopoulos. But 13 minutes from time there was sweet release as Martin Demichelis smashed the ball high into the net after a kerfuffle following Messi's corner. Then Martín Palermo slotted home after Messi's shot had been saved.

He was at the heart of the attack in that game as well despite Greece's best efforts. I think he would shine in any tournament and any league (although having a competent coach would certainly help)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

He can get away with that cause Messi won't ever be playing in the EPL.

They always need to big up the EPL on that show that's their station probably being promted by a producer to say things to mark out the EPL now that La Liga has the best club teams. EPL looks better when you look at the secondary teams Valencia > Arsenal, Villareal > Man City, Espanyol > Spurs. EPL has a bit more strength outside of the top two.

I did indeed watch the world cup, especially the matches with Argentina more-so naturally, and he failed to stand out for me. I think a lot of the Messi love-brigade goes towards hyping up his world cup.

After all, he was hyped up the be the new Maradona. Even after last season people were saying he was destined to be better than both Maradona and Pele. Then after the world cup people didn't know what to say, people thought he would be Diego Maradona in 1986 but in 2010, if not even a bit better.

He disappoined an awful lot of people. I think they are viewing his performances through a coloured lenses. Filtering, mixing the media hype, based upon his great performances last season, with his world cup. They were expecting a miracle in every game, sublime skills and breathtaking performances, but what happened hapenned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

The mans a fooken gobsh*te, but he is an amazing spoofer and great at making the worst of players sound like gods. "OHHHH U BEAUUUUTYYYYYYYY" when Gerrard scored against Olympiakos in the Champions League, that was class. He can talk all day and scribble on a fancy electronic touch screen. He's ideal for sky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Originally Posted by major bill
    Indeed, in the group stages Messi delivered and had done just about everything but score. A Man Of The Match performance from Enyeama stopped him from scoring against Nigeria, the woodwork denied him against Korea but he was at the heart of everything, and he was again very important against Mexico. He didn't produce his best against Germany that must be said but then again what Argentinian player did?

Here's how his performances were described at the time by the way...

Argentina 1 Nigeria 0

Quote:
    BBC:

A vociferous Ellis Park crowd showed their appreciation for the entertainment on show, particularly that provided by Argentine forward Lionel Messi, who was the standout performer, creating opportunities for others and on a number of occasions drawing superb saves from impressive Super Eagles keeper Vincent Enyeama.

While Maradona remained a lively source of fascination on the touchlines, his heir apparent, and the man predicted by many to stamp his authority on this World Cup as his iconic coach did in Mexico in 1986, Barcelona's Fifa World Player of the Year Messi, was a magnetic focal point on the pitch.

Operating in a front three alongside Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain and Carlos Tevez of Manchester City - a trio that has scored 105 club goals between them this season - Messi produced a performance befitting of his billing.
    Twice in the first 20 minutes Messi ran at the Nigeria defence and provided scoring opportunities for Higuain, but the first the Real Madrid striker put past the near post from three yards out and then saw his angled drive from further out blocked by Enyeama.

Sandwiched between these two chances Argentina took the lead. Tevez's superb curling shot wad tipped over by Enyeama for a corner, from which Juan Sebastian Veron provided the cross for Heinze to dive in unmarked and head home. The South Americans remained the more likely to score, but they were either wasteful or unable to beat Enyeama, who kept his side as a credible threat in the match with further impressive saves from Higuain and Messi.

There was still time in the final few minutes for Messi to slightly blot his copybook by allowing Enyeama to save from six yards when he should have scored but it is harsh to take away from what was a superb display from the forward and an encouraging victory for Maradona's men.
    Quote:
    The Guardian:

Full time: Argentina 1-0 Nigeria That's it. Argentina should have won by five or six, yet they were not especially convincing with the inevitable exception of Lionel Messi. You can rate the players here if you want. Thanks for your emails; I'm off to find some Quilmes.

Quote:
    BBC:

South Korea coach Huh Jung-Moo, who played against Maradona at the 1986 World Cup, saw his team struggle to live with Argentina's quick tempo and the quality of their pass-and-move football.

They took the lead when Lionel Messi's free-kick from the left hit the unfortunate Park Chu-Young on the knee before flying in and the goal buoyed an already buzzing Albiceleste as they continued to attack the South Korea goal with pace and in numbers.

South Korea's brief forays forward were resulting in the occasional shot from range, with Ki Sung-Yeung's 25-yard screamer flying narrowly over, but after Carlos Tevez had drilled a free-kick inches too high, Argentina doubled their lead thanks to more shaky defending.

This time, Messi and Maxi Rodriguez were allowed all the time and space they wanted to take a quick free-kick down the left and when Maxi's cross was flicked on by Nicolas Burdisso, Higuain had the simple task of nodding in.
    Angel di Maria then forced a flying save from Jung Sung-Ryong, and Messi thrilled the crowd with a brilliantly jinking run before clipping a shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

Higuain's close-range finish brought a stunning save from Jung, and Tevez forced another save from Jung with his 20-yard drive, while at the other end Yeom Ki-Hun wasted a golden chance to get South Korea back on level terms as he shot wide when through one-on-one with Romero after Lee's fine pass.
    Yeom paid the price when Argentina counter-attacked, and after Messi's shot hit the post Higuain tapped in. But they saved their best for last as Messi's stunning chip enabled Sergio Aguero to cross for Higuain to head home to complete his treble.
    Quote:
    The Guardian:

GOAL! Argentina 1-0 South Korea (Chu-young og 16) Messi fizzed in a freekick from the left and, inexcusably, Chu-young, supposedly helping back in defence, was taken by surprise and let it rebound off him and into the net from six yards.

20 min: Messi dabs in another freekick. It grazes the top of Demichelis's mane and droops into the keeper's arms.

27 min: Here's trouble: Cho bundles over Messi to concede a freekick about five yards outside the box, quite central. Messi rolls it to Tevez, who thunders it just over the bar.

31 min: Argentina remain in full control, pinging the ball around with speed and purpose. The Koreans simply can't get near them.
    GOAL! Argentina 2-0 South Korea (Higuain 32') Tevez deserves high praise here. He pursued two Koreans into the corner and then robbed the. They responded by kicking him to the ground and conceding a freekick. Messi took it short to Maxi, who chipped it towards the penalty area. Burdisso flicked on and Higuain, at the back post, nodded past a rather maladroit-looking keeper.

41 min: Messi wins the ball deep in his own half and skitters all the way down the left wing before feeding Tevez. The perfect counter-attack is foiled, however, when Tevez tries to take on a defender too many, rather than pass right to the unmarked Higuain.

43 min: Glorious from Messi! That was one of his PlayStation dribbles, zigzagging through the middle of the Korean defence before attempting a cute lob from the edge of the area. Sadly, it fell inches wide.

47 min: Messi dazzles his way into the Korean box again, but Cho does well to divert it behind for a corner.

48 min: The corner is headed out to the edge of the box, where MEssi arrives ... to send a trickler well wide.

GOAL! Argentina 3-1 South Korea (Higuain 77') Deadly counter-attack. Aguero and Messi exchanged a one-two before the latter fired in a low shot that came back off the post and rolled across the face of goal, inviting Higuian to tap it into the empty net.

GOAL! Argentina 4-1 South Korea (Higuain 80') Smooth and sharp, Argentina tear South Korea apart. Messi, as ever, was instrumental to the attack, his ball to Aguero a thing of sumptuous skill. Aguero's dink across to Higuain was decent too, and all the striker provided an appropriately slick finish, nodding in to the far corner.

88 min: Messi sets off on another dribble from half-way. He makes it as far as the box before being dispossessed.

Full-time: An authoritative performance from the admirably attack-minded Argentina. Sure, they looked a little wobbly at the back but they were a joy to watch going forward and, in the middle, bringing in Maxi for Veron proved a canny decision by manager Maradona. "Great passing skills from Argentina," concludes Mark Rodriguez before providing this accurate comparison. "I think the difference between them and Spain, is not passing skill, but the Argentinians' movement. Spain was passing around, but with very little running movement. Argentina's attacks come at pace. So you have the crisp, lightning-quick passing between players who are running at you. Spain was passing and passing and passing, but in small triangles, with their opponents all set up to defend.
    Argentina 3 Mexico 1

Quote:
    The Guardian:

26 mins: ARGENTINA SCORE! Carlos Tevez gets it. Messi was at the heart of it. A lovely little pass through to Tevez, the ball is blocked by Perez, Messi dinks it forward again and Tevez nods it in. Looking at the replays, however, Tevez was clearly offside. A mass of Mexican players protest. But the goal will stand, albeit wrongly so.
    I'm tired of people repeating this myth about Messi's World Cup performance. He was actually one of the few top players who did turn up unlike the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Torres, Van Persie etc. Dismissing his efforts on the grounds that he simply did not score is very lazy analysis.

Edit:

Quote:
    BBC:

Lionel Messi, skippering his side in the absence of the rested Javier Mascherano, had a frustrating evening as he received close attention from his opponents but he almost struck a second after a jinking run ended with a thunderous strike that crashed against the post.

But the second goal did come when another Messi strike was palmed into the path of substitute striker Martin Palermo, who slotted home with his right foot.
    Quote:
    The Guardian:

Despite dominating possession, Argentina struggled to find a path through the labyrinths laid down by Greece's niggly, nine-men-behind-the-ball defence. Even Lionel Messi, named man of the match, struggled to wriggle free of the attentions of his man-marker, Avraam Papastathopoulos. But 13 minutes from time there was sweet release as Martin Demichelis smashed the ball high into the net after a kerfuffle following Messi's corner. Then Martín Palermo slotted home after Messi's shot had been saved.
    He was at the heart of the attack in that game as well despite Greece's best efforts. I think he would shine in any tournament and any league (although having a competent coach would certainly help) Last edited by Mr.Nice Guy; Today at 03:50.

Argentina 3 Mexico 1

Edit:

He was at the heart of the attack in that game as well despite Greece's best efforts. I think he would shine in any tournament and any league (although having a competent coach would certainly help)[/QUOTE]

tl;dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Liam O wrote: »
    Messi has never done really well when he's played in England IMO and I would like to see how he would fare.

Seriously?

Even as a Chelsea fan I will tell you that he danced all over us in the bridge! He destroyed Del Horno and Robben before going off injured.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

sure tis just andy trying the dunphy technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

digme wrote: »
    tl;dr

32 references to Messi!

Advertisement