Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icy Roads

• 22-12-2010 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up for anyone who may not know, the roads in certain areas of the city are pretty bad at the moment. A woman has just ploughed her car into a street light right outside my house in the last 15 minutes, she wasnt going fast, we are in an estate and the car is a write off!

Everybody seems ok, was herself and 3 kids. taken away in 2 ambulances as a precaution but they all walked away initially thankfully

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's mad,

Like compared to other parts of the country you'd be forgiven for thinking we're ok but it's seriously dodgy out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Anyone driving around without caution should have their licence taken off them. A few weeks ago some idiot overtook me on the N25 and to say his car was all over the place is an understatement. Dickheads the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's true,

Mammy Ziedth kindly drove me in the main road from Kilmacthomas yesterday evening for beer and a bit of a creep in town and she did 38 the whole way in.

Now, even though that's mentally slow people were ballooning past us doing at least 70/80. That road is dodgy enough at the best of times for Ice so I'd say it's pretty awful now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Heading home to the Deise for Xmas, what are the main routes like? Are they being maintained at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Heading home to the Deise for Xmas, what are the main routes like? Are they being maintained at all?
    yea main routes are being pretty well maintained, travel slowly and you'll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've been finding the M9 fine for the past two weeks or so, just don't do sharp turns on it and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

You cant write a car off by travelling slowly, that woman must have been going too fast for the conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

dermo909 wrote: »
    You cant write a car off by travelling slowly, that woman must have been going too fast for the conditions.

Oh yes you can... it depends on the value of a car. I saw a 2003 Avensis hit a wooden pole at a slightly sideways angle at approx 10kph. Car didn't look bad, some scrapes and the passenger side front wheel being pushed back and upwards into the body, but it was 4k worth of damage (wings, bonnet, lights, cracked subframe, suspension parts, spray on the side etc...). I heard that car was classified as an economic writeoff afterwards.

Most of the newer cars are designed to fold very, very easily. You'd be surprised and how slow you can go and still make a modern car look like it was driven off a cliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

dermo909 wrote: »

If you do any damage to the chassis then it's a write off straight away. You wouldn't have to be going very fast to manage that at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

kryogen wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anyone who may not know, the roads in certain areas of the city are pretty bad at the moment. A woman has just ploughed her car into a street light right outside my house in the last 15 minutes, she wasnt going fast, we are in an estate and the car is a write off!

Everybody seems ok, was herself and 3 kids. taken away in 2 ambulances as a precaution but they all walked away initially thankfully

I bet you that was Lacken Wood! The dope rang 999 and over-exaggerated the accident and got tonnes of fire engines and ambulances. They got mad with her and I was told she started taking seizures!

€150 per truck she will get slapped with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Sorry guys but I've being driving around Waterford City everyday in a van for a living and the roads are near perfect considering the conditions. Credit to the City Council they are doing a fine job griting. Housing Estates are a diferent story and you should certainly take your time driving in those areas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Its sounds like its crazy back home again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its always the local estates tha are the greatest risk esp as the sun rarely reaches certain areas due to the houses casting long shadows, so why can't the local authroties dump some grit for residents to use? Cos they don't have enough and can't legally do so anyway (it seems we are a danger to ourselves and need dissuading).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Housing Estates
    The Council has a list of hilly and difficult to access entrances to housing estates and these will be treated as conditions allow. The Council will also deliver grit to housing estates on request from residents associations – please contact 051-849862 or email mkirwan@waterfordcity.ie up to 5pm on Friday 17th December with details of the housing estate and the exact location where you would like the grit delivered.

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/adverse-weather.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I stand corected! Clearly a change of policy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wellboy76 wrote: »
    I bet you that was Lacken Wood! The dope rang 999 and over-exaggerated the accident and got tonnes of fire engines and ambulances. They got mad with her and I was told she started taking seizures!

€150 per truck she will get slapped with.

Calling 999 for hitting a lampost, you'd want to be in a pretty bad way otherwise your wasting people's time.

If you hit the lamppost bad enough to seriously injure yourself (enough that you need an ambulances) then odds are you either weren't wearing a seatbelt or you driving at speed.

With the exception of one day I've driven down the M9 every weekday in December, I've also driven on many of the roads in Waterford including those in estates and they are honestly not that bad.

From my experience most people in this country don't appear to have a clue how to drive in ice and snow, frankly its scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

OP: I did 10kph in my car yesterday and I still find it hard to believe that you can write off a car doing that speed. I do agree though that modern cars are designed to dissipate all the energy from the crash into crumpling themselves up into a ball while keeping the driver/passenger area intact.

I'm wondering did any of the emergency services check the conditions of her tyres? Having worn tyres can really affect your roadholding and braking in these conditions. Seeing as 999 was called I'm sure the cops would have a look as part of their routine checklist at a crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

She was not going fast but did alot of damage to the front left of the car and it was a 98 so id consider it a write off tbh

And yep it was Lacken Wood! Think it was my neighbour who rang the emergency services for her though, thought it was highly excessive myself when we saw how many actually turned up!

still though, main thing is everyone was ok

Advertisement