Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Dropping Broadband Connection Q

Options
  • 22-12-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I use a Belkin router to connect via a Vodafone (formally BT) broadband fixed connection. Not sure of the exact model of the belkin, every 2 day's or so the connection just drops and I have to connect to the router and click "connect" to get the connection backup

Anyone have any reason/fix/solution why this would be, I would have thought if there was a 'poor' broadband signal the router would just auto connect next time there was a sufficient signal. I can't see anything within the routers settings that details you must 'manually' connect if a connection is dropped.

Above is not a problem when I am physically where the router is, but when I want to connect remotely to the network, thats when there is a problem

Any pointers would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

Following on from ^^^ (its still happening), looking at the Belkin support page it states this
    This addresses a common scenario where the router has been connected to the Internet for an extended period and holds an IP address (DHCP lease) for a longer period of time than your Internet Service Provider (ISP) allows.

Could this really be the issue i.e. every 48 hours, or so it forces a drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

For others benefit...

I believe Vodafone @ Home (who I am with), lease period is 24 hours, so if it is on over that it drops and you must manually re-connect, so had to opt for a fixed IP (I thought dyndns was a way around, but not effective for my situation), cost €3.99 per month (although thought it was free, or at most once off charge)

Advertisement