Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bank of Ireland fees to hit more customers

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Kensington wrote: »
    All of the banks, except Ulster Bank, now charge fees on new sign-ups.

It's very easy to qualify for free banking though, €3,000 per quarter (e.g. your wages) and 9 payments of €1 to your credit card and voila, you've qualified with BOI.

A large percentage of the problems that this country finds itself were caused by the banks. How many people are now unemployed, or resorting to lowly paid work to get by? How many self employed people with business accounts are struggling to get the work? And how do Bank of Ireland respond? No fees if you're well paid. A load of fees if you're stuggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

A large percentage of the problems that this country finds itself were caused by the banks. How many people are now unemployed, or resorting to lowly paid work to get by? How many self employed people with business accounts are struggling to get the work? And how do Bank of Ireland respond? No fees if you're well paid. A load of fees if you're stuggling.
    It's a catch-22. The banks needed capital to stay afloat, hence the bailouts.
    In order to get back on track they need a continued source of capital - this is through getting people to put their money back into the banks and increased charges - or further bailouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Left BOI Two years ago for this reason- Now with AIB- no fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

What exactly apply to this free fees , coz i have about 1k every month and still was charged 17,08€
    Direct debit 9
    direct credits 25
    standing order debits 3
    b365/card transaction 24
    Net fee 17,08
    Is it only counting when i have beneficiary added to my account for money transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭guza81

Hi.
    Do direct debits count as internet transaction for them, anyone knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

guza81 wrote: »
    Hi.

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Hi.
    No.
    Easiest way to get your required number of internet transactions is to do a load of say €10 payments to your credit card (or even €1 ones if need be)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Can someone change this thread title to BOI - move to Ulster bank quick.

I moved to UB a few months ago and their IT infasteucture makes BOIs 3sh|t5 look like an Amstrad computer.

Move and move quick so the clowns get the message.. Total idiots BOI.

I hope they flock away.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Hi.
    No.
    Easiest way to get your required number of internet transactions is to do a load of say €10 payments to your credit card (or even €1 ones if need be)

Why ANYONE in this day in age would jump through those hoops to sing to a corporations tune is beyond me. Like who is working in the BOI customer relations department??

This is actually hilarious, unless you have no other bank locally and BOI is the only option, your would be an idiot IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Im jumping the boat too, got charged 48euros for transaction fees, just because i dont do any online/365 transaction. What a load of bull. Have 8 standing orders, 16 direct debits and some kneck to charge the fees on top.
    I hope they go bust soon robbing thieves

• Advertisement

Xpro wrote: »
    Im jumping the boat too, got charged 48euros for transaction fees, just because i dont do any online/365 transaction. What a load of bull. Have 8 standing orders, 16 direct debits and some kneck to charge the fees on top.
    I hope they go bust soon robbing thieves

Good stuff - another person full of common sence. Welcome to the club Sir/Madam. :)

Really considering getting a FB page setup to run a campain to get people to walk away from BOI current accounts and thier "Fees". Im no left winger but it's beyond a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I too am considering jumping the boat. Have been with BOI all my life but have only had our joint account with them for 22 months. We have never once been charged because I regularly transfer money between my own personal account and the joint online. But this quarter they have whacked us €35 in charges. I am fuming!!!

Can someone knowledgable explain the fee statement to me?

Automated Transactions:
    Direct Debits (We have no DD's or SO's from this account) - 8
    Direct Credits - 37
    B365/Card Transactions - 76

Paper/Staff Assisted TXS:
    Lodgements/Credits - 4
    Incoming credit transfers - 1

Much appreciated :)

Monife wrote: »
    I too am considering jumping the boat. Have been with BOI all my life but have only had our joint account with them for 22 months. We have never once been charged because I regularly transfer money between my own personal account and the joint online. But this quarter they have whacked us €35 in charges. I am fuming!!!

Can someone knowledgable explain the fee statement to me?

Automated Transactions:
    Direct Debits (We have no DD's or SO's from this account) - 8
    Direct Credits - 37
    B365/Card Transactions - 76

Paper/Staff Assisted TXS:
    Lodgements/Credits - 4
    Incoming credit transfers - 1

Much appreciated :)

I was told 10 online bank transfers to beneficiaries was the only hoop I didn't jump through so I would guess this is why you have been charged . This is why you see idiots setting up a €1 a week charge to their credit cards instead of jumping ship and telling BOI to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Could someone advise when the fee quarters end for BOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Im guessing the end of the 3rd 6th 9th and 12th month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Oddly it's the 15th in Feb/May/Aug/Nov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Have free banking with NIB and very good online service. If you need a branch can be a bit of an issue but they have an agreement with an post so you can use a local post office also, which has been better in my case

After the extortionate fees BOI charged our Joint account last fee quarter, we have switched to Ulster Bank. Free banking, visa debit card, open on Saturdays. You can't ask for much more than that :) Now to change my own personal current account over so when transferring money between accounts it's instant and not 3 working days!

I don't meet their qualifications for this, but I also don't really use my account at all.

Seeing as its 28c per transaction, and I tend to make 0 transactions, does that mean I'll not be charged anything (until I inevitably do make a transaction, and get charged the 28c)?

I don't meet their qualifications for this, but I also don't really use my account at all.

Seeing as its 28c per transaction, and I tend to make 0 transactions, does that mean I'll not be charged anything (until I inevitably do make a transaction, and get charged the 28c)?

They charge you for EVERYTHING. Wages going into your account, money going in or out through online transactions. Direct Debits or Standing Orders. Lodging money through the cashier in the bank and taking money out the same way. Using your ATM or Laser card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

devil-80 wrote: »
    What exactly apply to this free fees , coz i have about 1k every month and still was charged 17,08€
    Direct debit 9
    direct credits 25
    standing order debits 3
    b365/card transaction 24
    Net fee 17,08
    Is it only counting when i have beneficiary added to my account for money transfer?
    Smcgie wrote: »
    I was told 10 online bank transfers to beneficiaries was the only hoop I didn't jump through so I would guess this is why you have been charged . This is why you see idiots setting up a €1 a week charge to their credit cards instead of jumping ship and telling BOI to get lost.

I got charged last quarter as well, i even have over 4k in my account now to be on the safe side, and still get charged. I thought if you had over 3k in your account and done the 10 internet payments it should be free? They are on their last chance this time and if i get charged again, ill be moving everything (Including savings) over to Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

its a mystery to me why people still bank with BOI when Ulster offer no strings fee free banking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My other half moved to AIB in september, he gets a back to education allowance paid into his BOI account.

AIB have tried, since the switching form to re-direct it to his new account. We have tried to get it changed through the schemes section in the welfare office. Still not done. We're now going to change his BOI account into a student account to avoid fees.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

its a mystery to me why people still bank with BOI when Ulster offer no strings fee free banking!

With the staff cuts just announced, I'd expect the introduction of fees can't be too far away. It costs money to run a bank and if you look at other European countries, free banking is only offered to customers with very high deposits, like say 10k or more. It's hard to imagine how Irish banks can continue to do it for free in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Ulster Bank are to introduce minimum balance and quarterly transaction requirements in order to avoid fees according to the front page of The Sunday Times business section - cannot link to the article as their online is behind a paywall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Jim2007 wrote: »
    With the staff cuts just announced, I'd expect the introduction of fees can't be too far away. It costs money to run a bank and if you look at other European countries, free banking is only offered to customers with very high deposits, like say 10k or more. It's hard to imagine how Irish banks can continue to do it for free in the long term.

Yes, The Sunday Times are reporting that Ulster Bank will introduce fees on their current accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 j.quinn.esq

In process of leaving and closing BoI account, can get the same for free with KBC, and too be honest im doing fine with N26, just getting a Irish account for the chance a few problems using a non Irish account i could encounter with some direct debits and thhe like.
    I understand there should be zero problems with a non irish account ,but murphys law and all that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thread is 9 years old!

Please start another rather than revive really old threads.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement