Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike lock frozen, anyone have bolt cutters?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

As above, the lock has frozen and this fecked up the key.
    Now I'm just wanting to get the bike home but its locked to a pole in town with a frozen cable lock.
    It's just a €10 cable so should be easy to cut.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Keyser Söze

lies

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

I've seen two bikes in near my house locked to poles for most of the past two weeks. Probably the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Is a hacksaw any good to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 SUMojoJojo

If you are near NUIG we have one in the Students' Union you can borrow. We are open till 5pm today and will need to hold on to your passport or driving licence while you borrow it in case you head off on a crime spree.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

Wrap a hotwater bottle around it for 10minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Wrap a hotwater bottle around it for 10minutes.

Key is broken silly, check OP.

SU might be best bet, or there is a great bike repair shop in fisheries field that could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Was gonna say have a wee on it but if they keys fecked to, it wont do any good. youd still be left with a broken lock and a smelly bike

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fey! wrote: »
    Is a hacksaw any good to you?
    Thanks, I have one myself but think it won't work, also it might take a long time to cut through and I don't want to spend 20 mins in the cold if I can help it.

How about a lump hammer to smash the lock to bits (at least you'll be kept warm while you try to hit it!!!)

SUMojoJojo wrote: »
    If you are near NUIG we have one in the Students' Union you can borrow. We are open till 5pm today and will need to hold on to your passport or driving licence while you borrow it in case you head off on a crime spree.
    Thanks, I'm not but I might take you up on that if I can't find another solution.
    Every night it's left in the city is a risk that some scummer fecks it up somehow.

• Advertisement

If you see a passing Garda ask them for help; they might have one in the boot of a patrol car or at the station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If your lock is frozen heat up the metal bit of the key with a zippo lighter prior to insertion and put it in (heated) maybe 3 or 4 times while jiggling. It should turn after 3 or 4 heatings and insertions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

This is going to sound mental.

But why not just buy boltcutters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Flag down a passing motorist. Borrow the jack. Put the jack between the lock and jack it open. Done this loads of times easiest way as boltcutter may not be strong enough if it's a good lock. Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Flag down a passing motorist. Borrow the jack. Put the jack between the lock and jack it open.
    Can bend the frame before it pops, otherwise you are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Should have made it obvious you don't go near the frame. you have two ends either side of the lock, jam the jack in there, and don't bend your bike ;)

Fuctifino wrote: »
    This is going to sound mental.

But why not just buy boltcutters?
    Yeah I thought about that but cutters are 50 or more, half the value of the bike.
    I want to exhaust other avenues before splashing out on a tool I might just use once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Millstreet Garda station should have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its not locked to a pole across from McSwiggans is it? I saw a completely white bike frozen to a pole there this morning with loads of icicles hanging off it and I didnt have a camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

biko wrote: »
    splashing out on a tool I might just use once.

carry_on_doctor_xl_03--film-B.jpg&t=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

What is on the pole ?. Can you unbolt it & lift the bike over the top ?. You could drill the lock ?. Or hire some bolt cutters for a hour ?.

Thargor wrote: »
    Its not locked to a pole across from McSwiggans is it? I saw a completely white bike frozen to a pole there this morning with loads of icicles hanging off it and I didnt have a camera.
    Sin é :D

Sorted, rang Mill street and some nice Garda came around when they had time and cut it open.
    One tried the key in the lock and broke it, that's how bad the lock was...
    Happy Christmas Mill street!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wouldnt be able to sleep if my poor bike was outside all alone in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thargor wrote: »
    I wouldnt be able to sleep if my poor bike was outside all alone in this weather.

Think that's bad? I've a horse freezin' his bollix off outside

Horsing around lock, thanks John.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement