Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space 2

Options
  • 22-12-2010 12:22pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Time to start getting excited about this. Excellent story trailer to get you up to date with whats going on. This will be my first 'must have' game of 2011.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/excavations-trailer-dead-space-2/708747

Also, the demo is out (which i'm not touching)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

No PC Demo. FXXX you, EA.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeek

Cannot wait to be scared like 'eck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Played the demo last night. I'd forgotten how freakishly frightening and gorey the first one was! I'm quite looking forward to this now.

Just finished the demo, can't wait for this game now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Dead Space 2 demo? :cool: >

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

if its anything like the first one im gonna need new underwear Oo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Damn it, want to play this, but can't :(

Oh well, might just wait for the full thing, as it will pretty much be out by the time I get back near a console. I've been going pretty much blind on promotional material, so hopefully it will be as pleasantly surprising as the first. Bring on the dismembering!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I found the movement very clunky (for want of a better word) and awkward so I couldn't stand playing it, everything else about the game was great. If they fixed that then I might consider playing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I found the movement very clunky (for want of a better word) and awkward so I couldn't stand playing it, everything else about the game was great. If they fixed that then I might consider playing this.

God yeah. Initially there was an aiming bug which someone kindly pointed out was fixed by turning on vsync but even still it's like your char could only move at strange angles and even with vsync on the aiming system felt like your mouse was moving in treacle (and this is in a game where precision was important).

I've tried 3 times to get into this game and lasted no more than 30 mins. The praise people heap on it confuses me. Oh and I reeeeeeeeeeally hate the little 'console' additions like having a button that actually shows me the path I need to go. Oh dear oh dear.

As opposed to a PC game that has the map there for you?

• Advertisement

As opposed to a PC game that has the map there for you?

Well no because a map requires navigating rather than follow the blue brick road that's in DS (and forgive me if I'm wrong but there's also a map in DS as well isn't there?). I blame the dumbing down of pc games on consoles but that's going OT.

Dead Space 1 did have a map, but if you were on anything that wasn't a widescreen, then you could barely see it. Does Dead Space 2 not?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I had no problem with the marker system. From a story point of view, it made perfect sense. Basically the computer telling you how to get to your destination. I'd rather that, then wandering aimlessly around trying to figure out where the **** i was going.

Dead Space 1 did have a map, but if you were on anything that wasn't a widescreen, then you could barely see it. Does Dead Space 2 not?

No idea. Frankly if there is a demo I'll give it a whirl. DS had potential and it was a pretty game with fast loading times. Just the aiming and movement broke my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I loved the slow aiming. You were always listening for and dreading that thump and crash of a necro poking a hole in the wall/ceiling behind you.
    Great mood setter.
    That navigation pointer thing was hellah handy but you had to stop moving to use it, so it only came into play outside of battles.

God there was nothing worse than sprinting away from a necromorph, forgetting where the hell you were and how to get away, using the navigation tool and just standing there for the necromorph to get you.

In defense of the navigation tool, the Ishimara was absolutely massive and it could easily get extraordinarily easy to get lost. I remember playing F.E.A.R and being so annoyed there was no map or navigation tool and, with a lot of levels looking the same, I often found myself walking around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

God yeah. Initially there was an aiming bug which someone kindly pointed out was fixed by turning on vsync but even still it's like your char could only move at strange angles and even with vsync on the aiming system felt like your mouse was moving in treacle (and this is in a game where precision was important).

I've tried 3 times to get into this game and lasted no more than 30 mins. The praise people heap on it confuses me. Oh and I reeeeeeeeeeally hate the little 'console' additions like having a button that actually shows me the path I need to go. Oh dear oh dear.

What ? You know console games use maps too ! The game uses holograms to show video, menu's and the direction to go, its nothing to with dumbing down for a console. Elitist PC nonsense on here is not wanted, needed or correct.

What ? You know console games use maps too ! The game uses holograms to show video, menu's and the direction to go, its nothing to with dumbing down for a console. Elitist PC nonsense on here is not wanted, needed or correct.

Don't get bitter with me just cos you need autoaim to shoot something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That was on the pc versions as well wasnt it?

Don't get bitter with me just cos you need autoaim to shoot something :P

I haven't used auto aim on a game since GTA 4 where it came as standard. You think all games are played auto aim on consoles and manual on PC?

Why do PC gamers think they're so great using a mouse over analogues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I haven't used auto aim on a game since GTA 4 where it came as standard. You think all games are played auto aim on consoles and manual on PC?

Why do PC gamers think they're so great using a mouse over analogues?

a mouse is more accurate, ergo its takes more skill to use a pad :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    a mouse is more accurate, ergo its takes more skill to use a pad :pac:

I hates your logics :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lets not turn this into a PC vs. Console argument. Here's the facts:

Mouse is better than analogue sticks anyday for shooters.
    PC has better graphics.

No need to question it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just played the demo and loved it.
    Loved the swarm of baby/toddler things.

Can't wait to play this on hard core, lights out and PX21s on. :D

It's out the day after my birthday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lets not turn this into a PC vs. Console argument. Here's the facts:

Mouse is better than analogue sticks anyday for shooters.
    PC has better graphics.

No need to question it.

I think its more personal choice than one being better than the other, i know i prefer the control pad over a mouse in every game bar RTS where you need to point and click and now i find the Move to be better than a mouse for those. so for me a mouse is pretty redundant.

Some PC's have better graphics but there is such a vast choice of PC's you cant really say they all have better graphics, i know my 5 year old PC cant handle games my 5 year old Xbox can. Im sure if someone was able to take apart a console and rebuild it with new graphics cards and and memory in the same way you can with a PC they would be able to produce similar graphics.

But anyway thats all not relevant the point being made was that Dead Space was dumbed down for console because they tried something different instead of using a map, which we can all agree on is bull.

Anyway back to the demo, it looks great just played a few mins but turned it off as i want to save the whole experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Christoph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Played the demo the other day and can't wait for this.

I loved the first one. The movement was kinda slow but it worked so well. Your character is an engineer in a bit clunky suit, movement suits that.

(Also for the PC gamers: I think I remember reading that DS 1 was developed with PS3 as the lead platform. Maybe that's why the controls don't suit using a mouse well)

One thing I don't like though is Isaac's voice. Is it just me or does he sound too young and lively or something?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I think with Dead Space it was a design decision to hobble the movement of the mouse on the PC version.

Had the mouse aiming worked like it normally does on PC games, the game would of been too easy on the PC, as you would of been able to aim at limbs far quicker and more precisely than that you can on a pad or on the current PC aiming system.

If that was the case they would have to change the A.I to attack quicker and they probably where not going to go to the expense of changing that on the PC port. The games are balanced for a control pad not a mouse, keyboard.

I think the same is true of Resident Evil 4 and 5.
    In the RE games the enemies do not attack constantly, they circle around you and leave considerable pauses between attacks. I This is in fine on consoles as it gives you time to aim. On a mouse it would simply make it too easy. Hence gimped mouse controls in RE 5, although in RE 4 it could of been a cheapy port job by a 3rd party that led to having mouse controls completely omitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First review from Xbox Magazine: (copied from Metacritic)
    The nuanced tweaks and countless subtle refinements really ratchet up the atmosphere and make Dead Space 2 a richer, more streamlined experience...There's a sure-footed confidence this time around that gives the ghastly proceedings a level of character investment and polish that Dead Space never quite achieved. [Feb 2011, p.29]

Plus achievements, if you're interested.... :)
    Really looking forward to this now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The demo was good, reminded me why I liked the first one. There's anticipation and then there's the **** you! attitude. You might be living a nightmare but it's a nightmare that you're tear assing through with wreckless disregard, even as your character starts going loopy. It adds to the craziness.

Advertisement