Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Oh and if you can
    get to the school
    without dying to save, fair play to ya.

Did it, saved just before the
    big fight in the gym
    .:D

Probably could have saved after, but decided to err on the side of caution. Died a few time there during zealot run through.

One save down, two to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

GothPunk wrote: »
    What is all that about anyways? Same thing happened with the Bioshock 2 DLC, but with the backlash they got they agreed to release it on PC.
    Backlash, me gee. They've been getting backlash since February 9th 2010. Their "Actually, we will sell you DLC, PC folks" announcement was, co-incidentally, around the same time that Microsoft unveiled the new Games For Windows Live marketplace. 2K got a fat brown envelope from Microsoft, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Mr E wrote: »
    Play it with headphones. Its a whole different game.

I'm up to chapter 7 now, but the part that made me jump the most so far was going through a residential area (chapter 5 maybe?). I was looting some bedrooms, and the f***ing radio alarm clock beside one of the beds started going BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP..... Scared the bejesus out of me.

I play all my games with headphones on. And i even turned the lights off while playing DS2. Its scares have been laughable so far. It made me jump twice in about 7 hours. Both times were ****ty jump scares, not once did i feel unnerved, or god forbid, actually scared.
    Its just a bog standard blaster now dressed up in DS's outfit. Herp derp run through a corridor derpidy derp kill swarm of enemies hurr durr more enemies something goes BOO! derp derp swarm of enemies repeat til finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Dead Space 2 DLC weapons/suits not coming to PC? It's already on the disk, free for all to get with a save-file trick. http://bit.ly/f36o4i

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just finished this earlier, brilliant game. Not as scary as the first game but I think it plays better. There was a good few ''Oh Christ!'' moments in it though :D.
    A few things though (I'll put them in spoilers):
    Was it just me or were there way less boss fights in this one?
    Also, I liked the twist at the end with Nicole ''Time to die!'', Fecking bitch :D.
    Pleased that Isaac lived at the end plus the audio after the credits suggests there will be a third game so thats good. One more thing, the eye drill bit, fecking gross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finally started playing it, i'm likng it, altough i don't feel the intensity of 1. Too many bloody text logs and not enough audio logs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Finished it last night. Really liked it for the most part, but by chapter 14 I just wanted to get it over with. After playing chapter 15 and getting to the end, I couldn't beat the last boss with the weapons that I had (not strong enough, and not enough ammo). I had to restart chapter 15 all over again from the Store at the start. Thank God I kept multiple saves.

Great game though.... really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Now that a large portion of us round here have finished it,I have a question for you.

How do you feel if compares to the first one? Better? worse? How so?
    Spoiler tags where necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Better gameplay than the first, zero-gravity is way better in this as well. But the first had a way better atmosphere and "poo your pants" potential :D.
    Isaac actually spoke in this one so you could get to know his character a bit so thats a plus.
    Boss battles were better in the first game though.

Anyone try out Dead Space: Extraction, free game that came with the PS3 version? It was better than I thought it'd be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's only €20 ($27) on g2play.net, through EA digital download.
    http://www.g2play.net/store/Dead-Space-2-EA-Download-Manager.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Now that a large portion of us round here have finished it,I have a question for you.

Definitely preferred the first one. It was way way more atmospheric. There were more scares too.

I still really enjoyed 2. The zero g was better but they didn't utilise it enough. There were never loads of enemies swarming you or anything. Action wise, yes a lot more combat but no real bosses.
    The end game *boss* battle was ****!! I found it easier than the first one and in general I preferred how huge the bosses were in 1

Still a good game, but just didn't capture me in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I got stuck at the end last night (playing on Zealot) as I had no health packs left and was getting overrun. Went back to my save at the last store and upgraded my Contact Beam all the way up to the stasis effect on it's Alt Fire. End boss goes down easy then, I think I only had to hit it 2 or 3 times with Alt Fire and then
    lay it into the heart with my Plasma Cutter. Was very disappointed then when that was it.

I agree that Dead Space 2 isn't as good as the first game story wise, but I think it's much better in terms of gameplay, although I would have enjoyed some more boss battles. I didn't like the 'orange jaggy screen' parts - all subtlety went out the window for most of the game with those. They kind of ruin their effect when they make it obvious you're having an episode, it's much more effective when you think that it's really happening.
    I also thought that 'Nicole' was hilarious. When she screams at you 'WHO AM I ISSAC?!' I just pissed myself laughing, I don't know who would think that was scary. It's just ridiculous!
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Brutes are easy enough, just stasis and run behind and hammer away at their ickle legs, re-stasising if its gonna wear out. Once the legs gone, back away and kinesis the explosive ball they fire at you. Takes practice but played DS1 dozens of times so :p
    Thanks for this tip! It came in very handy in that part
    on the Ishimura
    . Later on in the game I was fighting one and tried this technique, but had the Contact Beam equipped, shot one leg off, shot the second leg and the whole thing exploded, I laughed so hard as I wasn't expecting that at all.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Anyone try out Dead Space: Extraction, free game that came with the PS3 version? It was better than I thought it'd be.
    It's really good I think, I was really surprised. I'm about half way through it now and enjoying the story as much as the gameplay. I'm playing it with the Move controller, it plays really well with that. I do love light gun games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

eh id say its dead space through and through . me and a friend played the first one and found this one a little less scary purely because...well it was dead space . you kinda knew what was going to happen and where. not to say its not as scary because friend number 2 played dead space 2 before number one and it frightened the bejesus out of him .
    i guess what im trying to say is they havent changed things massively . at the end of the day its just a big add on to the original

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its essentially what Aliens to Alien: more action, bigger set pieces, less of the claustrophobic feeling a spaceship has, less of the "hunted" feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

- DS1 felt fresher, and a bit creepier/scarier
    - DS2 has better level design and overall is IMO a better "game", it's more fun to replay and no backtracking (though I didn't mind that so much in DS1, a lot of other people did)

Plus, it has a wicked awesome handcannon.

That's an apt analogy. I think Alien is a better movie, but I prefer watching Aliens.

I think DS1 to DS2 is the same type of relationship. I think DS1 is a better game, but I prefer playing DS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Just finished it last night, would agree with most people here, that DS1 was way scarier but DS2 is still a great game.

Starting my 2nd playthrough now on Zealot new game +, my 1st was on Survivalist. Need to experiment with a few different weapons on this playthrough and upgrade them all, so I have my full arsenal to choose from starting the Hardcore run, which sounds like its gonna be a bigger pain that Hardcore or Nightmare what ever the hardest was in DS1, which I had to do with the one gun to save myself a 3rd or 4th playthrough.

So I should have all the achievements by the end of playthrough 2 and will decide where my 3 saves will be, its gonna be hell.

Apparently if you can make it to the end of Disk 1 which no saves used, you still have 3 to use for the rest of the game, any truth in that?

CKWPORT wrote: »
    so I have my full arsenal to choose from starting the Hardcore run

I'm pretty sure you're starting hardcore from scratch (same as playing for the first time). Its not a New Game+, and nothing carries forward from earlier playthroughs.

It's not called hardcore for nothing. :)

You're right about the saves. It autosaves at the end of disk 1. Check out the x360a.org DS2 forum for strategies and more info.

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you're starting hardcore from scratch (same as playing for the first time). Its not a New Game+, and nothing carries forward from earlier playthroughs.

It's not called hardcore for nothing. :)

Nooo! You serious?

So its like DS1 then with the added difficulty of only 3 saves. Its gonna be a b1tch so.

Still I coulda sworn I saw Hardcore on the list when I selected my new game + and upped the difficulty to Zealot, maybe it was a greyed out, will check it later on.

Its not looking like a 1000\1000 for DS2 so if thats the case.

Its a challenge but doable! I rented and finished on normal difficulty, but when the game is cheaper I might pick it up and give it a go.

Read here for some tips and strategies.

• Advertisement

Will finish my Zealot run 1st, and read up on Hardcore then, see what strategies people have come up with for it.

3 Saves, thats a total pain!:mad:

I've heard its a good strategy to do your hardcore playthrough before zealot, because finishing on hardcore gives you a special gun that makes zealot a breeze....

OK, better read up on the Zealot and HC playthroughs so.

Only on chapter 2 on Zealot at the mo, so if I have to restart, so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

CKWPORT wrote: »
    OK, better read up on the Zealot and HC playthroughs so.

Only on chapter 2 on Zealot at the mo, so if I have to restart, so be it.

You should know from the 1st play where the last shop / save is. I played on Zealot form the start and died a alot but it was rewarding in terms of the struggle to get there. Ended up having to drop down the difficulty right at the very end :(

I'm going to try going for the end again on Zealot from my save at said shop. My biggest difficulty was
    when you leave that area and just until you get to the boss I found it really tough not to get backed into a corner and lose all my healt supplies eventually I decided just to leg it and heal and stasis my way there then theres the boss I kept getting swarmed by the shadows with only one health can left :mad:
    Those sections on hardcore could be a right bloody pain

That last bit was a pain on Survivalist, it musta been hell on Zealot, and how bad is it gonna be on HC then!!! :rolleyes:

Had a quick read at lunch there about the Zealot run, people seem to think its easy on new game + with a few fully upgraded weapons! So I am gonna try that.

Didn't see anything on the weapon that HC mode unlocks! Didn't look hard enough tbh!

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm going to try going for the end again on Zealot from my save at said shop. My biggest difficulty was
    when you leave that area and just until you get to the boss I found it really tough not to get backed into a corner and lose all my healt supplies eventually I decided just to leg it and heal and stasis my way there then theres the boss I kept getting swarmed by the shadows with only one health can left :mad:
    Those sections on hardcore could be a right bloody pain
    If you can, respec one of your weapons at the last bench and put the nodes you get back into the Alt Fire of the Contact Beam (all the way up to the Stasis added effect). It takes 9 power nodes I think. Then when
    you get to the final boss, wait for the Pack to get near you and then alt fire once or twice, and then switch to your plasma cutter and fire away at the heart (my plasma cutter was fully upgraded by this point). You should only have to repeat this one more time before it goes down.

With that strategy you won't even need a health pack to deal with the boss, even on Zealot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Zealot is not that hard when it's your second playthrough, you have your guns at more or less full power.
    I can see how Calex71 struggled as it was his first playthrough..
    That last bit was a pain on Survivalist, it musta been hell on Zealot, and how bad is it gonna be on HC then!!!

As for Hard Core Mode, it's only hard mode so all battles are easier than survivalist and zealot mode. One mistake and back you go.

My first save was just before the fight in the
    gym
    . My second save is in chapter 11.
    I reckon my third save will be either after the
    drill ride
    or at the
    store
    just before the final fight.

Saw a you tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-VrdtEXA_w&feature=player_embedded, not embedding so as to prevent spoiler. But he re-spec'd his
    javelin gun
    at that point and cleared the rest of the game in
    ~40mins

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Only just finished it on Zealot (1st time through)
    2 or 3 places where it's frustratingly difficult.

For the final battle
    I saved by the final shop and spec'd up the rifle, cutter and contact beam - and then used the final power bench to spec up the contact beam ALT fire. From that shop to the final battle is a long road - used up quite a bit of ammo so you arrive at the final battle with probably the minimum ammo you can get away with.
    My tactic was to hit Nicole with the cutter (8-9 shots does the trick) then use the main fire of the contact beam on the heart (2 shots does it) and run back in the opposite direction to where the heart first appeared and get behind the rocks - the shadows come up over the rocks and are easier to pick off with rifle and stasis. Pick up the goodies, and if you need more ammo hang around and you get more shadows to kill - and more ammo. Then use cutter again on Nicole, hit the heart and do it all again. Takes 3 goes at the heart to get it. I finished with a single cutter ammo - nothing left in contact beam, rifle, health or stasis - very difficult :)

My advice would be to do standard or lower as first run through and build up your weapons and armour - then if you can (not checked this) use New Game+ to run in Zealot mode with your existing stuff so you don't waste cash and nodes - giving you maximum chance on the final battle.

Great to hear hardcore isn't as difficult as zealot. Might go do it now

I would disagree Demonik and say that your first playthrough should definitely be on Zealot. The difficulty really ramps up the tension, particularly early on when you can't let a necro touch you.
    F1ngers wrote: »
    Zealot is not that hard when it's your second playthrough, you have your guns at more or less full power.
    I can see how Calex71 struggled as it was his first playthrough.
    It was my first playthrough too. :pac:

In fairness though I had the unlocks from Dead Space Ignition so I wonder if they make the game a bit easier? I still died multiple times in fantastic and gruesome ways.

I still think the one of the hardest parts is when you first come up against the Pack (children) the first time. I had barely enough ammo to kill them all. They're what make the final boss so hard methinks (if you don't have the right weapon).

• Advertisement

Yeah I liked Zealot for a first play through too. I didn't find it too hard and it just makes you more careful and considered in your approach, instead of rolling around like a human tank.

Advertisement