Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TheJBurner

penev10 wrote: »
    Finally got around to starting this last night. First two chapters were excellent, easily matching the original in terms of atmosphere but adding some more variety in terms of locations and scenarios.

Gave multiplayer a quick go too, seemed decent enough. What's the general feeling on the online modes? are they worth dedicating some time to?

i played about 3 hours of multiplayer and i have to say its pretty good. without teamwork you wont get very far so playing with friends is preffered. but I find that the ranking up is very slow so you have to invest alot of time. and the upgrades and weapons you unlock are pretty far apart. but still its a lot of fun to rape humans with the baby necromorphs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ANyone get the dlc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I did, its quite good. Uses a lot (if not completely copies) a lot of the areas from the main game, but forgiveable since theres only so much you can cover in a space station. Not overly difficult, died once on Survivalist but that was due to a bomb-arm guy appearing behind me and making no noise. Not really much different from the main game. Only around 1 and 1/2 hours long, depends on how you play.

Plot....now this adds a few WTF to the whole Dead Space mythology, brings up a lot of questions but answers little, possibly in future DLC or DS3
    Never really explains what happened between the end of Extraction and Severed, where did Gabe get a new hand? Looking down on guy in white fry the Col's brain, and refering to the Necromorphs as "servants", Unitologists or another faction using the markers or powers from whoever made them first? Also Project "Oracle", possibly the reason Lexine was immune to the markers affects. Ending was...sad, poor Gabe, wonder what the "his remains were recovered" will mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

<wipes sweat off brow> PHEW!

Thought I'd never finish this! (I suck so was playing it on 'normal'.....Don't look at me like that! It was more to enjoy the story........no......really!).

Right, so what a game! The last hour or so I think my heart was pumping out of my chest. Very hectic. Although I agree that the final battle is a little on the easy side. But, f*ck me was it enjoyable!

It's giant leap for game-kind though. For cinematic tension and enjoyability. After most scenes I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.
    First battle scene in zero g (when you have to hit the fuel canister).
    Falling back to the Sprawl from the Array.
    The hanging upside down bit on the train.
    The eye-needle-thingy-machine.
    The regenerator following you for the last bit. (Also that was just mean having to hack in to that panel while he was in the room!).

I'm sure there are plenty more that'll come to me, but that's all I can think of right now.

Even though I felt like I've been through the mills with it I still want more! MORE! Loved the twist at the end too.

I did feel like they overused the 'turn screen orange and wobbly' bits. But it didn't really annoy me that much. Just like when the HUD flickers in the likes of FEAR.

Can't wait to see what they end up doing for the third...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just got some points to pick up the DLC. I'll be back with a report on it soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The DLC is decent, but not amazing. Lot of recycled areas. Creepier than the full game and a welcome return of the Twitchers, and worth the price, just don't expect the moon on a stick. All the achievements can be done in one quick play through.
    It does have a great end section though, IMO

Had a play through and just finished the first chapter. Took about 30 mins of gametime so it's pretty short or at least chapter 1 is anyway. I'm playing on Zealot difficulty which is definitely adding length to it as I'm getting bogged down quite a bit in it and struggling with ammo levels.

Those twitchers are really tough. They move very fast and can take quite a bit of damage. I'm really enjoying it. If you were left wanting more of the same after finishing the game then this is perfect. If you've already had your fill then this is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Mr E wrote: »
    Play it with headphones. Its a whole different game.

+1

I thought DS1 had more scares and jump moments but I did enjoy the atmosphere in DS2 playing it in the dark at 1am with my headphones on.
    For some reason going back to the Ishimura really freaked me out. From the flicking name on the ship to all the internal hull padding and tubes to the luminous liquid spilt and smeared everywhere. Nothing actually happened of note but that whole sequence gave me goose bumps for some reason.

Just finished the DLC. According to my save game it's about 1 hr 25 mins or so. I played on zealot. It's short but sweet and the finale is epic. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Spoiler tags!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Spoiler tags!!!!!

To be honest if you're 23 pages in to a Dead Space two thread than you know you're going to get a few spoilers. :p

But yeah going
    back to the Ishimura was creepy as f*ck. Seeing that it was all taped and cleaned and you got Nicole whispering almost constantly in your ear.

The medical deck hurt my eyes, but was brilliantly done. The UV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Spoiler tags!!!!!

How about you dont quote the thing that you want spoiler tagged. Now you'll have to go back and change you post too.

You're just as bad as him....if not twice as bad for quoting him.:pac:

Spoiler tags!!!!!

Sorry, I didn't think I gave anything too revealing away though. Aplogies anyway.

chin_grin wrote: »
    To be honest if you're 23 pages in to a Dead Space two thread than you know you're going to get a few spoilers. :p

That was my original thought actually :o
    chin_grin wrote: »
    But yeah going
    back to the Ishimura was creepy as f*ck. Seeing that it was all taped and cleaned and you got Nicole whispering almost constantly in your ear.

The medical deck hurt my eyes, but was brilliantly done. The UV.

+1
    I thought the tension was handled brilliantly in this chapter, the fact that you are waiting patiently to encounter the first Necromorphs on board but all you get is a constant build in tension amplified by ghostly whispers and the sound of metal objects failing in the background. Plus as you said the UV effects were brilliantly done and added amazing contrast to rest of the deck.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't think I gave anything too revealing away though. Aplogies anyway.
    No worries. Just the bit about going
    back to the Ishimura
    felt like a bit of a major plot incident.

Am at Chapter 6 now. The fight against the
    hiding creatures in the church that suddenly rush you
    has been the highlight so far. Amazingly well paced game. All the refinements on top of a very solid original make this one of the best games I've played on the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Its double xp weekend on the multiplayer played a good bit today and got up a good few levels there seems to be plenty of people online today and team players at that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

No worries. Just the bit about going
    back to the Ishimura
    felt like a bit of a major plot incident.

really enjoyed that part the
    Ishimura
    is where its at. n its where the lighting effects really excelled, n sense of claustrophobia. think i'm still there tbh just don't rip through games like i used to. will resume it after midnight..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Finished the game on Zealot difficulty just there :eek:
    Going back to the Ishimura was very creepy, Because deep down you want to return to your fears and confront them, Its a pity the ending didn't leave any loose ends

I think ill leave hard core mode for another time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I think ill leave hard core mode for another time

Do it now.
    The
    hand cannon
    is soooo worth it.
    R1 goes
    bang bang
    , R2 goes
    pew, pew, pew
    Loadsa giggles...:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Decided to play chapter 11 last night around 11.00 last night. Here I am in work with 4 hours sleep after finishing the game and
    restarting it again on New Game plus.

The game gets better and better. So much different scenery which is impressive given the genre.

The final level
    (the sound and the visuals of the marker along with the hoards of enemies) is superb and a tad terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Great game, exhausted it now. I'm not going to bother with Zealot (and definitely not Hardcore!) but I really enjoyed the game. Not particularly long, but challenging in places, and more importantly, a fun game with a decent story. Two thumbs up! Now, onto Dragon Age!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Got to Chapter 8 in one sitting on Sunday. One of those games where you get to a save point and say "Ok, fine ill pick it up next time now....maybe I'll just blast on for abit to see whats ahead of me and then quit" An hour later you're still there!

Im not a survival horror fan at all but Im enjoying it so far. I pretty much echo what Johnny Ultimate said. Whereas the first game was more true to the genre, DS2 is weighted maybe too much towards action. As I was finishing with it last time, I had abit of shooting fatigue. I was longing for a change of pace, maybe to team up with an AI companion for abit, just something to change it up a bit. It seemed to be one room of monsters after another. And while it looks great, I think it would be better to let the players imagination do the work alittle more. The enemies are so OTT looking and the shocks become so expected that after awhile you get immune to it. Less is definitely more. But I suppose for EA, the bottom line is that a more action - orientated shooter type game will sell better than a traditional survival horror game which places the emphasis on building tension.
    I hope they draw from the original a little more for DS3, but its unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

great game got it on offer in gamestop for 34 euro and whilst there picked up the first one pre owned for 7 quid. ive finished the first one and im on chapter 10 on the second to be honest not much has changed from the first just some minor controller configurations like different button to reload and hes a lot more hitting power. Id say its a must buy for any gamer three thumbs up from me :D

will finish this off within the next hour; i swear :o

Star Bingo wrote: »
    will finish this off within the next hour; i swear :o

lol but then you will play it again to get better weapons and amour then you will play online so you can expect to lose another couple of weeks of your life to it :D

:D i'll finish this tonight.

Last 2 levels were a disappointment - attritional and unimaginative. The
    constant chase by the Nemesis-esque enemy
    was more irritating than exhilarating.
    Last boss
    wasn't the most original either.

Shame, as the rest of the game was of the highest standard. Maybe they rushed the last bit to make the deadline?

think you played a different game from us penev

superfish wrote: »
    think you played a different game from us penev
    Is the general consensus that of the end being good then? Hmmm, maybe I was just frustrated with the sudden difficulty spike but I was expecting a more interesting finale.

• Advertisement

Is the general consensus that of the end being good then? Hmmm, maybe I was just frustrated with the sudden difficulty spike but I was expecting a more interesting finale.

excellent game cant fault it, I played number 1 just before this one and saw no major changes in difficulty and a very good story line from beginning to end maybe you should try a harder setting or play multi player if you looking for more of a challenge

Advertisement