Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I thought it was brilliant too (hence the comment about the rest of the game being of the highest standard), as was the first one, just thought the end was a bit of a let down.

By difficulty spike I mean a sudden rise in the level of difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

penev10 wrote: »
    I thought it was brilliant too (hence the comment about the rest of the game being of the highest standard), as was the first one, just thought the end was a bit of a let down.

By difficulty spike I mean a sudden rise in the level of difficulty.

I did not notice any rise in difficulty I did notice there were a lot more necromorphs to kill towards the end but if you play the online multi player the game difficulty is nothing in comparison that possibly could be why I did not notice lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'd have to agree with Penev, great game until the last couple of chapters.
    That
    undying
    necromorph seemed a tack on to a good game.
    Last two chapters were a
    sprint
    to the end.
    Final boss was
    bollocks
    ...seriously.

I've plat'ed both games and the first DS game was a much better one than DS2, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

finished this tonight. the last 'boss' was crap alright.. lack of bosses in general :confused: roll on DS3
    superfish wrote: »
    lol but then you will play it again to get better weapons and amour then you will play online so you can expect to lose another couple of weeks of your life to it :D

haha yea right :rolleyes: single campaign means single campaign, geddit?!! ony platinum i own is POP 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm kinda in the same boat as F1ngers and panev10. Great game which was slightly spoiled by the last couple of chapters. Those two are by far the worst two chapters of the lot. But they were still great. Just not up to the standard of the ones before them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so am I the only one who didnt like ds2? it had next to none of the atmosphere of ds1, i was just so bored playing through it. I think i'm about halfway through but I havent played it since the week I got it on release and I've not really any intention of starting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

so am I the only one who didnt like ds2? it had next to none of the atmosphere of ds1, i was just so bored playing through it. I think i'm about halfway through but I havent played it since the week I got it on release and I've not really any intention of starting it up.
    DS1 was more clautrophobic but the enviroments were a bit repetitive imo. I really liked the variety of the locations in DS2, they were well realised too from the freaky
    play school to the future-gothic church
    . Lost a bit of that industrial feel of the original but some of the levels preserved it.

Sound design was equal to if not better than the original.

Atmosphere is subjective though so I suppose if you aren't feeling you aren't feeling it. If you're half way through then there's probably nothing in the latter parts of the game to change your mind, although there are more levels similar to the orginal later on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

Im kinda suprised people dont like it I think you may have built the first one up in your heads a bit cas I played it directly before this one granted there were more bosses in the first but 2 is a dam good game plus there was no multi player option in the first also the multi player is one of the best online games ive played since gears of war, maybe its just different taste in games, did anyone else hear gears of war 3 is out in april ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Glad to hear a bit more criticism, really think the last third of this game is lazy design altogether. No doubt the first game was far from perfect - it also struggled past the finish line. Yet it was the freshness of the delivery (although it did rob everything from cinema :pac:), the brutality of the combat and the unnerving, creepy atmosphere that kept you enthralled.

Here, they just didn't advance the formula enough. The combat was improved somewhat, but not a radical departure. It's basically the same game as the first with bells and whistles. It excels when experimenting and throwing out setpieces. But these are rarer, and the endgame resorts to cheap enemies and difficulty curves that amount to "More enemies!!!!" and nothing else. It's a gauntlet of the same old enemies from the
    Ishimura
    onwards: hell, even earlier. The gravity sections lack the oomph of the first, there is a distinct lack of the epic oversized boss battles of the first, and the whole thing just feels... samey.

It's still a rock-solid formula in many ways, and it's far far from a bad game. The first appearances of the lurkers and those exploding babies are memorable particularly. But the first was a surprise - a game with an atmosphere and sense of dread almost unequaled in gaming, and an inventive, fresh combat system. DS2 is more of the same, already - three games in, and DS already feels kind of stale. As said, the first game was surprising. Extraction was an impressively competent reimagining of the gameplay. But Dead Space 2 is disappointing precisely because it's not all that surprising. "Oh, look. A long corridor / big open room with ammo crates! I wonder when the necromorphs will pop out. Oh, there they are." And that describes way too much of DS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got the DLC "severed" last night.
    I wasn't expecting the
    Twitcher necromorphs. It's like they're on speed.
    They were in the first game if I remember correctly?

I'm only at the first real encounter with the necromorphs and I'm stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭colm21

hey guys i just bought Dead Space 2 yesterday £18 bargin :D has anyone played it and what did you think. plz no spoilers as ive only started playing it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

fairly big discussion on it here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056126260&page=25

where did you get it for that price?

sheehy83 wrote: »
    fairly big discussion on it here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056126260&page=25

where did you get it for that price?

thanks i bought it from cex

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

some great prices on that site

sheehy83 wrote: »
    some great prices on that site

yea where i live they've only recently opened their first store so theres a lot of interest and the shop is always packed when im in buying games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Booted this game up today........ WOW freaky as fcuk.

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Bit of a BUMP on the thread (;)) but just picked up this game today.

Was in Xtra-vision and they had the normal edition for €49.99 and the collectors edition for €39.99, so with my trade in of Crysis 2 i got the collector edition for €9.99 which is pretty sweet.

So far, the game is great, it looks fantastic and is freaky as fcuk. Tried a bit of online as well which seems like its a bit of craic.

Gave a go of Extraction for PS move as well and it seems to work quite well also.
    so overall great value for 10 quid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Bit of a BUMP on the thread (;)) but just picked up this game today.

Was in Xtra-vision and they had the normal edition for €49.99 and the collectors edition for €39.99, so with my trade in of Crysis 2 i got the collector edition for €9.99 which is pretty sweet.

So far, the game is great, it looks fantastic and is freaky as fcuk. Tried a bit of online as well which seems like its a bit of craic.

Gave a go of Extraction for PS move as well and it seems to work quite well also.
    so overall great value for 10 quid :D

I got it for 19 euro in Game yesterday.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

extraction is very good with the move plus the story is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

gonna pick this up next week. Got a dilemma on my hands - PS3 or 360 version?

Is it just the limited edition that has Extraction with the PS3 version? How about the normal-ass version? This has me back and forth because then i'd have to buy a move with two wands to play it :(

Is there a difference in graphics?

Can you install the game to your PS3? (that's a bit of a selling point)

I have DS1 for the 360...is there any deal with save games from the first?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You don't need Move for Extraction apparently. Only played the Wii version, and it does make nice use out of motion control, but if you just want to play through with dual shock you can. Limited Edition seemed to be the normal one when released anyway!

As I was informed in this thread, PS3 is the lead console so it looks pretty fantastic on that. Definitely the smoothest multi-format title I've played on PS3.

And no save game carrying over. Forget if you had to install or not.

Thanks matey. I was looking for HDD install sizes and came aross (for 360)

"Disc 1 - 6.3GB. Disc 2 - 6.5 GB"

for Dead Space 2. However I don't have much space left on my 20GB 360 drive. Is there a way I can temporarily store info on a USB disc? I know this isn't strictly DS2 related but I don't wanna make a fuss with necroposting...

I'm still searching around for the PS3 version...

edit : there's no PS3 install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

jaykhunter wrote: »
    gonna pick this up next week. Got a dilemma on my hands - PS3 or 360 version?

Is it just the limited edition that has Extraction with the PS3 version? How about the normal-ass version? This has me back and forth because then i'd have to buy a move with two wands to play it :(

Is there a difference in graphics?

Can you install the game to your PS3? (that's a bit of a selling point)

I have DS1 for the 360...is there any deal with save games from the first?

It's all on one disc on the PS3. And it's the best looking ps3 game I can think of. As johnny ultimate said, the ps3 was the main console it was geared towards, so probably go for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Dead Space extraction needs to be installed on the ps3, cant remeber the size though

found out ya get an extra weapon (the original plasma cutter) if u get the 360 version so :o ended up getting that version. Don't throw your shoes at me!

on Chapter 4. So far, terrifying; great. i'll whack up a review when i'm done :)

So I finally bought this, think for around €15-€20 somewhere. While it was a good enough game, I just felt that it was lacking compared to the original. The best part was
    boarding the Ishimura

It just fell completely on its face on the last part though, especially with
    the final boss battle

This "you must agree to our T&C if you want access to online & DLC, gimme your e-mail address, there it is there, isn't it? yes it is" every time i boot up DS2... I found to be a real slap in the face.

Up to chapter 9 now. Enjoying it a lot. Getting harder though! Or maybe i'm just stingey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Hey guys,

I am thinking of buyimg this pre owned for a tenner on ps3. What content am I missing out on if I buy a used copy?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

thorbarry wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I am thinking of buyimg this pre owned for a tenner on ps3. What content am I missing out on if I buy a used copy?

You get DS: Extraction - can't remember if it's on the disk or if you have to "activate" it.
    Well worth a tenner whether you get Extraction or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

F1ngers wrote: »
    thorbarry wrote: »
    Hey guys,

You get DS: Extraction - can't remember if it's on the disk or if you have to "activate" it.
    Well worth a tenner whether you get Extraction or not.

Cheers dude!

Advertisement