Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

The gore seems a little too silly in this game, although the first one was gorey it didn't focus on it like DS2 is. i couldn't give a fiddlers f**k about gore, the first game was about whats around the next corner and the whole fear of not knowing, love that felling in games.
    Gore in excess is too cheap and tacky and wreaks of 80's retro movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hey lads, there is a Dead Space Fansite up thats 100% Irish. If ye wanna support the lads and take part in the community, i'd suggest heading over. Apparently, this has been pirated on the PS3 already!

http://deadspacefans.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's been pirated on everything already! Most games are before release. As soon as a retail copy gets out, it's pirated!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

chrislad wrote: »
    It's been pirated on everything already! Most games are before release. As soon as a retail copy gets out, it's pirated!

Ya I know that but its just weird seeing a copy going around for ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

What's weirder is that it's a smaller download than the Xbox one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Any PC specific reviews? I really wanna see how the fecked it up before I go and spend my money on it.
    Had a look on metacritic but they all look like copy and paste from console games, especially the IGN one.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dog-man-star

EA are holding a launch night for Dead Space 2 at the Sugar Club in Dublin this Friday. Besides getting to play the game, there's free booze, pizza, movies and copies of the game up for grabs.

Tickets can be gotten free through Movies.ie.
    Here's the link
    http://movies.ie/Competitions/Win_Tickets_To_EAs_Dead_Space_2_Fright_Night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

First off the game looks amazing, big jump from the first, it plays more or less the same, same suit, same weapons. Inprovements include the jets on the suit to control it in zero gravity and a few new enemies.

But there is something about it that just isnt the same as DS1, they had a small budget so relied on suspense to scare you. This has a bigger budget, bigger location more of everything but less scary, more action.

If this was on its own i would be saying its a great game (it is) its just after the whole creepy "what the hell is that noise" feeling i got after playing the first one, and the story line doesnt make this as freaky as you dont have that oh no whats going to happen.

Those kids are freaky though when they run at you laughing. Still awesome game just not the same as 1.

Will be interested to hear what others think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Have to say I was a bit disappointed by the demo at first but stuck with it and it did really pick up later. Can't wait to see where the story goes.
    Love those little freaky kids too...Multiplayer looks a bit crap though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Ssshhh! stop talking about freaky kids. I delibrately didn't play the demo so it would be all new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Well no because a map requires navigating rather than follow the blue brick road that's in DS (and forgive me if I'm wrong but there's also a map in DS as well isn't there?). I blame the dumbing down of pc games on consoles but that's going OT.

A lot of people who use maps nowadays have a handheld GPS device...I don't really see how the "blue brick road" approach is any different to adding a virtual GPS giving me the direction I need to go. Personally I don't think DS was a game designed around the idea of exploration. It was pretty linear in its approach (which was clearly a design choice by the developers) so adding a GPS is hardly dumbing down the game.

sarumite wrote: »
    A lot of people who use maps nowadays have a handheld GPS device...I don't really see how the "blue brick road" approach is any different to adding a virtual GPS giving me the direction I need to go. Personally I don't think DS was a game designed around the idea of exploration. It was pretty linear in its approach (which was clearly a design choice by the developers) so adding a GPS is hardly dumbing down the game.
    My problem with the way the first game was structured, was the trek you had to do all the way from the Train, only to retrace your steps on the way back. 8 times. I hope the second one isnt like that. Dont get me wrong, I LOVED Dead Space 1. I just hope that that level design isnt part of the second one.

No doubling back to get back to a train this time, i wont say much more but its a much longer walk this time.

Also on the blue line telling you where to go, i think is actually harder to use than a mini map, a mini map is always open telling you which way to go but you have to stop and call up the blue line, which is fine until you are being chased down by a horrible alien and you dont have time to stop.

Anyone got any experience with the PC version? What's it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

First off the game looks amazing, big jump from the first, it plays more or less the same, same suit, same weapons. Inprovements include the jets on the suit to control it in zero gravity and a few new enemies.

But there is something about it that just isnt the same as DS1, they had a small budget so relied on suspense to scare you. This has a bigger budget, bigger location more of everything but less scary, more action.

If this was on its own i would be saying its a great game (it is) its just after the whole creepy "what the hell is that noise" feeling i got after playing the first one, and the story line doesnt make this as freaky as you dont have that oh no whats going to happen.

Those kids are freaky though when they run at you laughing. Still awesome game just not the same as 1.

Will be interested to hear what others think.

I'd disagree with you to a point. The way I see it from trailers\previews\etc they've upped the "f*cked-up-ness" (only way I know how to put it!). I think it's going to be a nice mix of action and psychological scares. (Like that one bit in the demo, you know what I'm talking about!).

To elaborate, it does look like there's going to be a lot more enemies coming at you. But it still has the same tension akin to when is Isaac going to have a sh!t fit moments. I read a preview in Games TM about a new enemy that has the worst sound effect in the history of games. Now I NEED to hear that!

What is it........three days now? :D

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'd disagree with you to a point. The way I see it from trailers\previews\etc they've upped the "f*cked-up-ness" (only way I know how to put it!). I think it's going to be a nice mix of action and psychological scares. (Like that one bit in the demo, you know what I'm talking about!).

To elaborate, it does look like there's going to be a lot more enemies coming at you. But it still has the same tension akin to when is Isaac going to have a sh!t fit moments. I read a preview in Games TM about a new enemy that has the worst sound effect in the history of games. Now I NEED to hear that!

What is it........three days now? :D

But that's what they want you to think, even the reviews i've read from the big publications are saying its terrifying but they are paid to say its terrifying.

They have upped the gore and action but gore and action are not terrifying in the same way as suspense and not knowing what is going to happen next.

If you think back to old horror films like Psycho they were really unnerving but had little or no gore, a film like Saw has tons of gore but isn't scary in the slightest.

The first dead space scared me silly it took me 18 months to finish as i struggled to play it, this sequel ive played through 6 of the 10 missions and its a good action game but just not that scary.

Similar to the way Resi evil 1 was built on suspense but resi evil 5 was more action.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its hard to keep the tension up though, even in DS1 by the time I was in hte last 3/4 of the game it didnt both me in the slightest, you're so tooled up its fun taking out a half dozen necros, whereas one was making you jump like mad when they appeared in the beginning. more action is good, think of this as Aliens to DS1's Alien :D

Yeah just read this review.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-dead-space-2-192306.phtml

Which warns of a lot more "cheap" scares. But hey, as long as it's fun!

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yeah just read this review.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-dead-space-2-192306.phtml

Which warns of a lot more "cheap" scares. But hey, as long as it's fun!

most of the scares in DS1 are cheap too though, things bursting out of walls, I much prefered hearing the necros scuttling around in the vents or bodies disappearing, stuff that put you on edge, I was constantly walking around with my gun drawn in slow walking mode so i could cook any fools who tried to jump me :pac:

oh and stuff like coming across a crew member slowly battering his own head against a wall, creepy stuff like that that is way more effective than something tearing down a corridor at you, oh except those things that were stuck to the walls that sounded like they were crying, those were very much a "kill it with fire!" moment

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    most of the scares in DS1 are cheap too though, things bursting out of walls, I much prefered hearing the necros scuttling around in the vents or bodies disappearing, stuff that put you on edge, I was constantly walking around with my gun drawn in slow walking mode so i could cook any fools who tried to jump me :pac:

oh and stuff like coming across a crew member slowly battering his own head against a wall, creepy stuff like that that is way more effective than something tearing down a corridor at you, oh except those things that were stuck to the walls that sounded like they were crying, those were very much a "kill it with fire!" moment

A bucket fell over in the first game and it was one of the worse frights i had in gaming. :D

That to me is far better than a 40 foot monster chasing you around a room.

A bucket fell over in the first game and it was one of the worse frights i had in gaming. :D

Actually I do remember one bit (don't ask me how far in to the game I was!). But a necro jumped out of a vent, then in to another. I must've spent at least twenty minutes walking and turning in the same spot with my plasma cutter out cos I could still hear it scuttling around the vents. B*stards!

But there were great tension moments in the first all right. The bit where
    you come across what looked like a suicide/murder pact. And there's one woman left who just laughs and shoots her own head off.
    That was amazing!

or the bit where a random female scream happens as you're in an elevator, shat my pants.

oh and the
    bit where the necro bursts out of the supposedly safe workbench, the whole way through the game you know if theres a shop and bench you're safe, then this one fcuker comes out of nowhere, that was a put the game in the fridge moment :pac:

The rag doll destroyed my heart in Dead Space 1. Every time you would run by a dead body it would give me fright when the ragdoll physics kicked in. So frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Theres new dlc already been announced, lol
    Cant wait for this game
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-25-dead-space-2-severed-announced

First 5 missions are very good but 6,7&8 are outstanding really building up to the last 2 which are meant to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

this game looks amazing love the art style of it and how each section looks unique and different
    best surivival horror i have played on these gens consoles anyways

the creepiest part was definatly the baby/school section just the music alone send chills down my spine and i was actually afriad to walk ahead LOL then issac gets a mad moment and all the lockers just bang open lol
    didt like the last boss though i mean i liked it as a story and i supose it was fitting but it was too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

krudler wrote: »
    or the bit where a random female scream happens as you're in an elevator, shat my pants.

oh and the
    bit where the necro bursts out of the supposedly safe workbench, the whole way through the game you know if theres a shop and bench you're safe, then this one fcuker comes out of nowhere, that was a put the game in the fridge moment :pac:

O i got that one too lol just randomly going to the save/shop knowing this is the safe spot theres no monsters in here then BAM! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Lights in the game going out, seeing shadows but no one there, not being able to hear anything in space and a necro jumps out but what made me jump the most was my floor board creaking in my room while playing it, yes DS1 was the scariest game I've played

• Advertisement

• krudler wrote: »

oh and the

DS1: Or the first time you get hunted down
    by the "invincible necromorph", horrible feeling of tension, I played it on hard first time round also so I had f* all ammo.

Advertisement