Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Space 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its the same but different ! As i said in my review it lacks some of the fear the first created but adds much more action. It still has its freaky bits but less of the "oh my god whats that noise" momments. But at the same time i said its hard for the developers to keep it the same as the player knows about the necromorphs now so its hard to re create that initial fear like the first game had.

Its very good either way. 15 chapters and about 10 hours long

really? jesus I'm on chapter 6 after about 2-3 hours of playing it last night, I might bump up the difficulty , does it get harder later on? am playing it on normal.

figured out if you just melee the sh1t out of the kids as they surround you its easier than trying to pick them off, just get in front of them and keep mashing the R1 button, you'll batter them to bits

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

krudler wrote: »
    really? jesus I'm on chapter 6 after about 2-3 hours of playing it last night, I might bump up the difficulty , does it get harder later on? am playing it on normal.

figured out if you just melee the sh1t out of the kids as they surround you its easier than trying to pick them off, just get in front of them and keep mashing the R1 button, you'll batter them to bits

I was onto chapter 6 in under 3 hours i thought it was only 10 chapters long as was thinking man half way done already but i wasnt any where near. :D

Some chapters are over and hour maybe even an hour and a half long near the end. Last 2 chapters are super hard even on normal.

I was onto chapter 6 in under 3 hours i thought it was only 10 chapters long as was thinking man half way done already but i wasnt any where near. :D

Some chapters are over and hour maybe even an hour and a half long near the end. Last 2 chapters are super hard even on normal.

Cool, not having to backtrack to the train station does make the chapters seem shorter alright. love the look of the Sprawl though, the first time you see the massive windows overlooking the city is great, and the lighting effects on that big red and white sign near the travelator thingy in chapter 2 are amazing, just stood there for ages admiring the graphics as the light and shadows bounce around the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Cool, not having to backtrack to the train station does make the chapters seem shorter alright. love the look of the Sprawl though, the first time you see the massive windows overlooking the city is great, and the lighting effects on that big red and white sign near the travelator thingy in chapter 2 are amazing, just stood there for ages admiring the graphics as the light and shadows bounce around the room.

Dont count your chickens too soon !! But it is very cool

Dont count your chickens too soon !! But it is very cool

hmmm, I do like the crawling around in the vents thing, hearing necros outside as you're defenceless is cool, also those
    raptor things are soooo cool, the way they poke their heads out and look at you and run away as opposed to just legging towards you like plasma cutter fodder as the rest of the necros do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

arrrgggh i could f**king scream and murder someone now!!! i bought this game in HMV today and was just about to pop it into the ps3 when i noticed the asshat employee had put in the original Dead Space game and not Dead Space 2. f***ing asshole, i'm gonna rip him a new one tomorrow!!!!

bada_bing wrote: »
    arrrgggh i could f**king scream and murder someone now!!! i bought this game in HMV today and was just about to pop it into the ps3 when i noticed the asshat employee had put in the original Dead Space game and not Dead Space 2. f***ing asshole, i'm gonna rip him a new one tomorrow!!!!

I used to be in charge of the games section in a HMV, that was my biggest pet peeve with the filing system, people not paying attention to what game they were selling, the amount of times I got chewed out because someone put a smackdown 2005 disc into a smackdown 2006 case or something, gahhh :mad:

i was a bit ocd with my section though, i wanted to start a retro section but they were having none of it, could have got in a pile of n64 stuff for half nothing, (I may have wanted it for myself :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Damn that's pretty annoying, useless distracted staff, for game staff u need to double check every game is going into the right box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Same thing happened me with Uncharted 1/2 & Burnout Paradise/Ultimate Box in GAME that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Good game, very good game even, but no way is this a patch on the original.

It's a case of it only worked the 1st time for me. Very few surprises so far for me , even from early on I was like oh I bet I'll fall through the floor here :D Playing on Zealot slowing me down thankfully or I'd have finished it already. At a guess I'd say playing normally 10 hours , 2nd run would take 4 .

The multiplayer is not worth my time in any shape or form, thank christ there are no MP achievements ;)

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    Good game, very good game even, but no way is this a patch on the original.

It's a case of it only worked the 1st time for me. Very few surprises so far for me , even from early on I was like oh I bet I'll fall through the floor here :D Playing on Zealot slowing me down thankfully or I'd have finished it already. At a guess I'd say playing normally 10 hours , 2nd run would take 4 .

The multiplayer is not worth my time in any shape or form, thank christ there are no MP achievements ;)

I think the setting has a lot to do with that, the Ishimura was confined, oppressive and damn scary to walk around the corridors of, empty church halls and sterile space environments dont have the same effect. I'm loving it so far, but scare wise it cant touch the original , if that was Alien, this is Aliens, bigger setting, more action, more gun with jumpy shocks rather than a contuining feeling of dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ok playing through here - lights down baby in bed wife in bed - then at 0300 hours i **** myself officially while playing this lol.

seriously just postin here so i can take a break lol

28 years of age and afraid of a game lol the SHAME OF IT

gotta say though great game multiplayer ads to it also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just finished this game. Took me 8 hrs 24 mins on normal difficulty. I enjoyed this more than the first just because there is no longer any mouse lag! Fast paced game, more action than horror.

I find it hard to justify spending in the region of €50 on a game that lasts less than 10 hours. That may be from spending my time playing Fallout, Oblivion and Mass Effect.

Is it worth the money currently or am I better waiting for the price to come down?

I find it hard to justify spending in the region of €50 on a game that lasts less than 10 hours. That may be from spending my time playing Fallout, Oblivion and Mass Effect.

Is it worth the money currently or am I better waiting for the price to come down?

Rent it if you can.

I think the setting has a lot to do with that, the Ishimura was confined, oppressive and damn scary to walk around the corridors of, empty church halls and sterile space environments dont have the same effect. I'm loving it so far, but scare wise it cant touch the original , if that was Alien, this is Aliens, bigger setting, more action, more gun with jumpy shocks rather than a contuining feeling of dread.

That is it exactly , very well put.

err, does anyone know where Extraction is on the disc? its not under store or extras, do you have to have a Move connected for it to show as selectable?

edit: never mind didnt realise you had to select it from the main XMB menu first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

This is something i always say to my self aswell il finish the game in 2 nights is it worth the 55 or 60 whatever! IMO unless you really love this franchise and or survival horror play them all the time a rent is just fine for this id rather rent for the week for under a 10er then bring it back instead of buying and then it just gets left there for yonks im not into replays and extras etc once i do the main game tbats kinda that for me and if i really really enjoyed the game il play down the line 6-8 months later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

seriously... 50-60 euro for a ten hour game is fantasic value, ill never understand people complaining about it

it's working out around 5-6 euro an hour, which is better value than a night out, bowling, the theater, cinema maybe, a dvd, an album. yes you can watch a dvd or listen to an album several times, but you can do the same with games. i've played dead space 1 3 times, assasins creed 2 twice, etc.

gamers as a group seem to have gotten used to the idea of being able to download a game for free and this has seriously warped our perception of what is and is not value for money in our medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

gamers as a group seem to have gotten used to the idea of being able to download a game for free and this has seriously warped our perception of what is and is not value for money in our medium.

I think it has more to do with the very noticeable decline in game length since next gen consoles (and probably some previous gen ones too).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

single player games really have to be something special for me to buy them, not some 10 hour linear romp. Multiplayer games are much better but woul gladly buy a baldurs gate/dragon age type game.

seriously... 50-60 euro for a ten hour game is fantasic value, ill never understand people complaining about it

it's working out around 5-6 euro an hour, which is better value than a night out, bowling, the theater, cinema maybe, a dvd, an album. yes you can watch a dvd or listen to an album several times, but you can do the same with games. i've played dead space 1 3 times, assasins creed 2 twice, etc.

:confused:

That's the most flawed argument i've seen for a while, I don't know where to begin telling you what is wrong with that.

Well just completed it and it was 50€ for 10 hours well spent, the last hour it went into overdrive, it was nail biting. ds1 and ds2 really does feel like Alien and Aliens :)

Not at all. I would gladly pay €50-60 on games like Fallout 3/New Vegas, Oblivion (and to a certain extent Mass Effect(s)), where you are guaranteed 50+ hours of gameplay. It's then hard to pay the same amount for a game that lasts 5 times less than this.

It's then hard to pay the same amount for a game that lasts 5 times less than this.

I'm not too pushed about the length of the game as long as I enjoy it. I am really enjoying Dead Space 2(still haven't finished it) and it's easily worth the money.

Not at all. I would gladly pay €50-60 on games like Fallout 3/New Vegas, Oblivion (and to a certain extent Mass Effect(s)), where you are guaranteed 50+ hours of gameplay. It's then hard to pay the same amount for a game that lasts 5 times less than this.

So what you're saying is you only like RPG games since game time is spread out so much with all the reading and leveling, time invested in games is not equal to price.
    I like rpgs aswell but i am very open to other game types it's all just fun in the end, time doesn't factor into it and it shouldn't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

KilOit wrote: »
    So what you're saying is you only like RPG games since game time is spread out so much with all the reading and leveling, time invested in games is not equal to price.

Not really, it's 50+ hours quality gameplay. If you're into games like fallout/oblivion etc then they really do provide excellent value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well to be fair guys you couldn't make Dead Space 2 any longer than 10 hours or people would just give up on it. The story needs to be short and movie like. Not an Epic Quest that would see you having to do repetitive tasks like in an RPG. I'm loving it at the moment. The Graphics/locations are simply brilliant and as I preferred Aliens to Alien I'm a happy camper :D

Yeah but tbf how much of Fallout is spent on sidequests that dont do anything to the actual main story? the biggest problem I have with open world games is theres so much stuff tacked onto them, collecting things, doing errands for villagers, all that stuff.
    As long as a single player game has a great story and keeps me interested for the 10 or so hours it lasts then its value for money, and those are the games you'll replay, as you can complete them over a weekend if you put the time in. I've played through Uncharted 2 three times now and would happily do it againas the story is so enjoyable to get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

only thing I dont like is that you can recharge your suit energy by just pressing circle now, have done it twice accidentally, takes away the tension from the first that you had to bring up your rig to select it imo, makes it too easy. does it change on the harder modes? am playing it on normal

this is starting to annoy me a few times i used a medium health pack by mistake when i only had one bar of energy gone, the other way was better,... also wheres the map? i like to know where i am and looking at the old map was fun but these new route lines while helpful kinda take away from the exploring element as ur always following the blue line and miss lots of ammo and stuff

enjoying the game so far, like the hack bit kinda cool on chapter 4 playin time 3hours, i like to explore and read all the logs ect so id say ill be 13-15hrs to get tru it

Advertisement