Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Circulation Pump

• 22-12-2010 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I know its a common problem and there is no solution but maybe someone can advise me what to do to prevent further damage.

Our electricity went out for several hours last night so the circulation pump on our buffer tank could not pump and it subsequently froze along with all of the pipe work leading to and from it. I now presume that the district heating pipe from the garage to the house is frozen too where it enters through the wall of the house in a copper pipe. Luckily the boiler is a gasifying boiler so even without the electricity, it self circulated and kept the pipes between it and the buffer tank warm and the laddomat stayed warm too. I also lit a small fire in the boiler again this morning just to bring it up to 70 degrees and prevent it from freezing during the day.

We have a range and a stove in the house so we're not stuck for heat. But can anyone tell me if there is something that I can do to prevent the pipes from cracking?? I know I will have to wait until the thaw to get it working again. Would it be wise for me to loosen the pipes to release the pressure in the system and let the water expand more or should I just let it be - is it a case of what will be will be???

I have accepted the fact that my circulation pump is probably f4cked because it ran while frozen for a few hours in the early hours and has most likely burned itself out.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is it an open or a closed system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Is it an open or a closed system?

Its closed

Maybe take the screw out of the center of the pump to allow water to escape when it expands

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 30 rocketjk

Easy just add some antifreeze to the system...

rocketjk wrote: »

There's a 1500l buffer tank and the boiler itself holds 250l and then the system probably holds another 150l - how much antifreeze would I need???

• Advertisement

Maybe take the screw out of the center of the pump to allow water to escape when it expands

Thanks, I did that last night. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what happens. At least if it does burst, it'll be outside.

rocketjk wrote: »

Can't do that when its frozen.
    reilig wrote: »
    There's a 1500l buffer tank and the boiler itself holds 250l and then the system probably holds another 150l - how much antifreeze would I need???

Plumbers merchants will be able to tell you that.
    reilig wrote: »
    Thanks, I did that last night. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what happens. At least if it does burst, it'll be outside.

Was working at frozen pipes today. If its Pex piping, then they tend to push the pipes out of the fittings when they expand rather than burst in my experience. Same too with Hydra.

Copper is another matter, but with the screw out of the pump the expanding water will have somewhere to go, so fingers crossed. Remember, you will need to top up your system when all this is over, and replace the screw obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

unscrew the bleed screw at the pump and put a heater out beside it, shouldnt take long to thaw it out a bit. even if you get it thawed a bit it means the ice will have more room to expand to so theres less likely a chance of it bursting.

Lads, unfortunately on closer inspection, the pump cracked at the back. Had to buy a new one today - EUR 82. Hopefully there won't be any more damage to the system. Will wait till after the thaw to replace. Also got a gallon of anti-freeze for the system which should prevent further freezes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

The concentration should be at around 20% (maybe more!), check the manufacturer's label.

If mutants in your neighbourhood are still a rarity then go for a PEG based anti-freeze, see :

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/205159.php

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys. Pump replaced and thankfully the boiler is holding pressure. A little bit of air still in the system but will wait until water pressure comes back to proper strength before I bleede the radiators any more. We have less water now now than we had during the cold spell. Its only on for a couple of hours each day and never enough pressure to fill the attic tanks :mad:

Advertisement