Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water in Hazel Park in Newcastle

Options
  • 22-12-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

We've no water from the mains, but the water in the tank still seems to be flowing.
    Anyone else in the same boat? Or know whether the water is frozen or just 'switched off'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Had flowing water in Clifton Park this morning but during the cold snap this time last year we were without water for over a week. It seem that the mains feed to the house isn't buried deep enough and the pipes froze outside the house. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

No water in bohermore either. I hope it's just 'off'

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

Gone in Hazel park alright, must be the mains. Anyone rang the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What good would that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

On the radio they said it's not the main lines but the cold freezing the service lines leading into the houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

Ficheall wrote: »
    What good would that do?

Smartarse.
    biko wrote: »
    On the radio they said it's not the main lines but the cold freezing the service lines leading into the houses.

Cheers icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

We're on Newcastle road, we've a trickle. I'd say the pipes are almost frozen. Have filled big drums, five of them. Well they're not that big but should keep toilets going for two days at least. And heat cos won't be without that with a small child. I've a friend in St.Anne's, theirs is gone, as is Clifton Park and Cherry Park. That said, a woman in the pharmacy earlier told me they had it in Tudor Lawn? Random...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

Im in wellpark and our water is gonefor the past 2 days,i dont know where to post this question as a new thread so could anyone help here,not sure if i can use my heating oil while the water is gone,as theres no hot water,does this mean the tank is empty...im confused!

Having the central heating on does use water from the tank, afaik.

If there's no water coming in through the cold tap in the kitchen then you're getting no water from the mains, but if there's no water in the other taps around the house then you've no water left in the tank.
    If you do have water left in the tank, be as sparing as possible with it, obviously. Toilet flushes, baths/showers, washing machine etc. should be avoided insofar as possible. (Our house is going to smell a bit ;) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ficheall wrote: »
    Having the central heating on does use water from the tank, afaik.
    No, the central heating has its own special tank called an "expansion tank" around 500mmx700mx1000mm high in size at most.

Turn on the central heating even if there is no cold or hot water. If you hear banging/knocking ( upstairs usually) that means that the central heating tank is emptying ( not empty) and that you should not use the heating much or should turn off the upstairs rads.

However you can top it up separate from the main tank, it is quite small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We've no water for 3 days now either and are trying to conserve what's in the tank. Took a sneaky shower in the Uni this morning.

It must be frozen pipes really. We've just accepted we'll have none til next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

thanks so much spongebob,i will turn my oil back on now,and try to thaw out!!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Took a sneaky shower in the Uni this morning.

<AH> Pics? </AH>

I'd say water will be back around tues to thurs next week, it takes a few days of thaw. If you leave the house leave all the taps off before you go in case the place floods when the water comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Water went as of yesterday out on the Headford Road. Letting agents said it's the pipes outside. Wait for it to thaw. If a pipe bursts inside give us a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Is there anything I can do to stop the pipes bursting when they thaw out? We have none coming in on the mains, tank is still full for now. We are going home home tomorrow until the 27th and really dont want to come back to the house flooded. We just bought it in July :(

Have the heat set to come on every few hours including night-time, just recently insullated the attic and tank but dont know what else we can do. We had the cavitiy insulation ordered to go in last week but they arent working at the minute because of the cold so will be January before we can do that.

Make sure heat is on periodically, the main risk is thurs and fri nights will be very cold but the thaw will have set in by the night of the 25th.

If you left on the 25th itself you would not need to leave the heat on much if indeed at all. The roads will be very quiet that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

We're on Newcastle road, we've a trickle. I'd say the pipes are almost frozen. Have filled big drums, five of them. Well they're not that big but should keep toilets going for two days at least. And heat cos won't be without that with a small child. I've a friend in St.Anne's, theirs is gone, as is Clifton Park and Cherry Park. That said, a woman in the pharmacy earlier told me they had it in Tudor Lawn? Random...

That was a good idea to save some water. Someone was telling me they always fill their bath with water if they feel the water supply will go. Then they can use that water for toilet flushes if they need too. I thought it was a good idea for anyone who might not have drums around the house to fill up.

Our water is still working fine thank god. My fingers are crossed it continues. I really feel for anyone without it.

Advertisement