Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Turkey Breast ( Crown )

Options
  • 22-12-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone got any good ideas for cooking turkey breast ( Crown )

Its about 5 kg

Also temperature and how long

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

what does the packet say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Thaedydal wrote: »
    what does the packet say?

Its a chistmas present from a friend who is a non cook too, and will be coming from a butcers so doubt will be any packaging...prob clingfilm or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

First for basic cooking instructions I work out the cooking time for half an hour for each kilo + 20 mins. This is for a whole cooked turkey but I imagine cooking a crown would be somewhat similar. For example a 5kg crown the cooking time would be (30 mins X 5) +20mins= 3 hours.

Also it is very important to let the bird rest before carving for at least an hour! I leave mine to rest for at least an hour and a half. This allows the hot meat juices to seap back down through the meat. When resting cover with a couple layers of tin foil then 3 towels.

I find putting a good butter or herb butter mix underneath the crown skin essential to keep the bird moist. Look at jamie olivers or gordon ramsey's crimbo cookery shows on channel 4 or 4od.com for visual help.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

conor678 wrote: »
    First for basic cooking instructions I work out the cooking time for half an hour for each kilo + 20 mins. This is for a whole cooked turkey but I imagine cooking a crown would be somewhat similar. For example a 5kg crown the cooking time would be (30 mins X 5) +20mins= 3 hours.

Also it is very important to let the bird rest before carving for at least an hour! I leave mine to rest for at least an hour and a half. This allows the hot meat juices to seap back down through the meat. When resting cover with a couple layers of tin foil then 3 towels.

I find putting a good butter or herb butter mix underneath the crown skin essential to keep the bird moist. Look at jamie olivers or gordon ramsey's crimbo cookery shows on channel 4 or 4od.com for visual help.

Do you cover the crown while it's cooking in the oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I normally cover the crown with rashers, keeps it lovely and moist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

fenris wrote: »
    I normally cover the crown with rashers, keeps it lovely and moist.
    Interesting. Would you cover the entire piece or just lay afew on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Poach it.
    Keeps it lovely and moist and frees up the oven for roasties.
    That's what I'll be doing.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Poach it.
    Keeps it lovely and moist and frees up the oven for roasties.
    That's what I'll be doing.;)

Do you brown the skin before or after?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

trackguy wrote: »
    Do you brown the skin before or after?

After poaching.
    Lots of butter and basting and turning in a medium hot, large frying pan.

Advertisement