Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sharing in Dun Loaghaire or surrounding areas?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering is house sharing an uncommon thing in Dun Loaghaire and the south side of Dublin in general?

I moved up to SeaPoint this time last year for a job in Dun Loaghaire and took a flat close to the dart station with a double bed on my own at €650 a month.

The flat has been fine for the year but but living on my own and not knowing anyone in the area has meant a very boring year where I've not really got out and been able to enjoy living so close to the big smoke.

I also want to cut my monthly rent rate down to €450 max.

So the answer would appear to be to find someone with a spare room in a house thats around the same age and isn't looking for mad rent a month.

For the past month or so I have been looking for house shares on daft.ie and not very many are available in the areas I would like to live, I found two and when ringing about both the people living there already came across as a bit cuckoo!

My requirements might be a bit too stringent for the area?

I need:
    • Double room
    • Broadband connection
    • Secure parking space
    • Close to Dart
    • Other working professionals age range [22 - 30]
    • Somewhere close to but outside Dun Loaghaire in a nice area

I have signed up to be found on dafts team up database but have also heard nothing back from anyone.

So I'm just wondering what am I doing wrong in looking for what i want? Is there other areas I should be looking? Or is it more common for people to just own there own apartments/houses in the area without renting out rooms?

Comments

There's a couple of notices up where I work.

I'll let you know if they're suitable tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Likwise I'll keep an eye. Aside from that I can't believe it's a year since you were on here posting with serious trepidation about that move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

What about further afield such as shankill, bray or greystones? all on the dart line. I know lads in work were all looking for house shares when they started and found them easy enough in those areas.

Other options would be up around Rochestown avenue or monkstown. all within walking/cycling distance of Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Likwise I'll keep an eye. Aside from that I can't believe it's a year since you were on here posting with serious trepidation about that move.

Yeh a full year gone, its mad isn't it? Gone like that!

Love the area I'm in, the location is perfect and the flat is quite good but I've not been able to save anything and have actually had to dig into savings to live here so despite getting a raise in work I still need to cut my rent significantly.

The notices were gone this morning!

If I hear anything though I'll let you know :)

• Advertisement

Anyone familiar with the location of this place?

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=606247

It looks like its near "the farm" which is an area of Monkstown I've been told to avoid.

Not really near the farm at all, and anyway, whoever told you to avoid "the farm" is stuck in the 80's to be honest :rolleyes:

It's not a million miles aways from where you are now, only a few minutes walk up from monkstown village and a nice 20 minute walk to Dun Laoghaire. Looks nice!

Had a very quick look on daft there and came up with the following (there are plenty more, just the ones I noticed)

www.daft.ie/3608522 Stradbrook is only a few minutes walk from blackrock, 20 mins to dun laoghaire, 45 is close by and I think now the number 63 to dundrum. 46a and 75 would be a few mins walk.

www.daft.ie/3609368 Sandycove is an ideal location imo, you’re a few minutes walk from work, you’ve got the dart on your doorstep and you’ve got lovely places to go walking, and between dalkey, glasthule and dun laoghaire, you’re not going to run out of places to eat/drink!

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=611639 same again only this is an apartment so not sure if that’s what you’re after

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=612438 from what I can make out on the map, I know this area very well, I grew up there! It’s a very handy area for everything, it’s residential so only one pub right by you but 15 min walk to DL and 45a, 111, 7 & 8 busses all practically outside your door.

Your a legend!

Have contacted a few via email so will see if they get back.

Just to add I'd prefer if it was only 1 - 3 people to share with and secure parking is a must. Me poor car is getting battered in Eaton place :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

All those areas are fine and to echo what was previously said don't worry unduly about Monkstown Farm, it's no different to any other housing estate of its type really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

draffodx wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with the location of this place?

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=606247

It looks like its near "the farm" which is an area of Monkstown I've been told to avoid.
    LOL, years ago the 'farm' would have called that snobland. The flats in mounttown are gone years now, I wouldn't be listening to the old reputations of the farm, the noggin & the brack & applying them today, take a stroll around, they are all grand now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Draf, i'm from the farm so if you mess with me i'll bleedin bate ya!

also i offer protection services :D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I do some evening work with people in Monkstown Farm. Nothing wrong with the area or the people, it's a great community. :cool:

Good to know! Have had a few people contact me from the Daft team up database so will see if anything comes from that.

Well if you find a couple of people you wanna share with and you are looking for a nice apartment, mine is up for rent at the moment :D

Bit too far from you though in Shankill :(

I'm moving house on Friday \o/

Well if you find a couple of people you wanna share with and you are looking for a nice apartment, mine is up for rent at the moment :D

Bit too far from you though in Shankill :(

I'm moving house on Friday \o/

Is it up on daft? Close to the dart?

draffodx wrote: »
    Is it up on daft? Close to the dart?

Dart is practically on the doorstep. On the platform in under 2 minutes ;)

I'll send you a pm.

Advertisement