Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding being burnt out by 6th year

• 22-12-2010 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Just after finishing my Christmas exams (except for Irish and physics, snow cancelled them) and I'm think I did too much work in the first half of the year. I was doing about 3 hours a day (including the minimal amount of homework I get) from the beginning of September but I got to a week and a half before the exams and I just had no motivation to do anything more and I was totally wrecked. How do you avoid doing way too much in 5th year and then being burnt out for 6th year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Doing a lot of work isn't a bad thing, so long as you aren't getting stressed about it... The answer to your question would be, stress less and take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Do you still have a social life and exercise regularly? I did a lot of study but got quite stressed towards the end of 5th and I think it was cos I cut back on sport etc, was much more balanced in 6th year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Social life not really, because of a variety of reasons. Sport I would but its a sport that relies on it not being freakishly cold and its been too cold since mid November :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

You mention not really. Amend your relationships that you may have broken to disrupt the social life. Trust me when i say you will need your friends more than ever in 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

When i was in 5th year i just did my homework every night, you mighn't reaise it now but it gives you a solid foundation for 6th year and you'll have worked a good bit. Its worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I started studying about 3 hours a day last Monday and was burnt out by Saturday. We can safely say that I'm the one who should be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Start dossing around in school and messing more. Believe me if there's one thing I regret it's not having way more fun with the lads back then. Study all you like at home as I did but I saw school as a break, especially in the second half of the year when the teachers are doing exam papers which you can do on your own. Just enjoy 6th year, really, because when you're done there's not a lot you wouldn't give to go back for one more day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Wait never mind you're in 5th year...Take it easy, just do your homework and if there's something you don't understand read over it. Don't stress yourself it means absolutely nothing in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Just after finishing my Christmas exams (except for Irish and physics, snow cancelled them) and I'm think I did too much work in the first half of the year. I was doing about 3 hours a day (including the minimal amount of homework I get) from the beginning of September but I got to a week and a half before the exams and I just had no motivation to do anything more and I was totally wrecked. How do you avoid doing way too much in 5th year and then being burnt out for 6th year?

You calm yourself down. Seriously! As cliched as it may sound, the Leaving Cert really is a marathon. Do your homework (and I mean properly and with effort) in fifth year and you will have given yourself a serious advantage for sixth year.
    If you really feel that that isn't enough, try looking over what you've done each day and taking a few notes. You don't need to go mad studying and learning every little thing just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I was doing about 3 hours a day (including the minimal amount of homework I get) from the beginning of September
    5th year, overkill much?
    Plus you can study for 10 minutes or 10 hours, but it's really what you actually do in that study that matters. Quality over quantity, always. Chill. You have over a year to freak out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

You are doing far too much. In 5th year, doing a lot of study leaves you at a serious disadvantage come 6th year, for the simple reason that if you put yourself through it now, you are going to find it very difficult to put yourself through the same grind in 6th year. You may not think you will, but you almost certainly will. I saw it happen to a number of friends of mine, who were quite demotivated by the time Easter of 6th year came around. Just make sure to do ALL your homework, and PROPERLY, and that will have you more than prepared enough for 6th year without being burned out. I did this, heeding advice from my sister, who got 600 points, and myself got 580 points last year. Study at this stage serves little useful purpose, and it will be VERY important to study enough (and especially, properly) when you get to 6th year, so save your energies for the final few miles of the marathon rather than trying to set a searing pace from the outset and stumbling over the finish line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I would say take it easy, the way you're going you're going to be sick of the whole thing this time next year. If you're memorising things now, you most likely won't still know it by June 2012. The key to 5th year is just understanding every topic you cover, so that when you go back to revise it it won't be too much work. Make good, organised notes that'll make your life easier next year and cut back on the amount of time you spend each night, there'll be enough of that in leaving cert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Thanks for all the replies guys! I think you're right, going to bring it down to about an hour and a half a night until midterms/summer exams. The way I'm going currently 6th year will be impossible.

Advertisement