Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to put new build to the test...suggestions

Options
  • 22-12-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Okay about 3 weeks ago I placed an order with overclockers and got all the parts delivered and built my new rig a couple of weeks ago, now that it has all settled down I'm looking to see if there are any good recommendations for games that might put this beast under a little pressure :D

Specs are:

CPU - Intel i7 950
    MB - Asus X58 Sabortooth
    RAM - 12Gb (3x4Gb) Patriot Vipor 2 Sector 7 DDR3
    CPU Cooler - Corsair H70
    GFX - 2x KFA2 GeForce GTX 580's in SLI
    PSU - Corsair Professional Series 850w
    Case - Corsair Obsidian 800D
    HDD - 2x 1TB WD Black series & 4x2TB WD Green Series

Have gotten most of my favourite games back on this machine but is seems that the older games are
    a) not a challenge for the machine
    b) do not properly support SLI to take full advantage of all the power

Half Life 2 runs at at a solid 220-230FPS with res of 1920x1080 and every setting cranked to the last.

GTA 4 Does'nt seem to like SLI as I get about 40FPS with everything cranked to the last regardless of wether I have SLI enabled or disabled so it clearly is only using 1 card :-/
    Same goes for ARMAII :(

Are there any good games out there that will fully utilize SLI and multicore CPU's to give crazy performances?

I have Call of duty - Black Ops and Mafia 2 ordered for Xmas but looking for something else to put this rig to the test.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try disabling SLI and HyperThreading in GTA4 and try those in ArmA2 and see if it benefits. IIRC both have issues with multi-card and both are extremely CPU-dependant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Two games that could stress this machine are Crysis warhead and Metro.
    Eye wrote: »
    Okay about 3 weeks ago I placed an order with overclockers and got all the parts delivered and built my new rig a couple of weeks ago, now that it has all settled down I'm looking to see if there are any good recommendations for games that might put this beast under a little pressure :D

Specs are:

CPU - Intel i7 950
    MB - Asus X58 Sabortooth
    RAM - 12Gb (3x4Gb) Patriot Vipor 2 Sector 7 DDR3
    CPU Cooler - Corsair H70
    GFX - 2x KFA2 GeForce GTX 580's in SLI
    PSU - Corsair Professional Series 850w
    Case - Corsair Obsidian 800D
    HDD - 2x 1TB WD Black series & 4x2TB WD Green Series

Have gotten most of my favourite games back on this machine but is seems that the older games are
    a) not a challenge for the machine
    b) do not properly support SLI to take full advantage of all the power

Half Life 2 runs at at a solid 220-230FPS with res of 1920x1080 and every setting cranked to the last.

GTA 4 Does'nt seem to like SLI as I get about 40FPS with everything cranked to the last regardless of wether I have SLI enabled or disabled so it clearly is only using 1 card :-/
    Same goes for ARMAII :(

Are there any good games out there that will fully utilize SLI and multicore CPU's to give crazy performances?

I have Call of duty - Black Ops and Mafia 2 ordered for Xmas but looking for something else to put this rig to the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Crysis , Bad Company 2, Dirt 2

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

I would'nt have thought of Crysis tbh as I would have considered it to be an "old" game so to speak, but I do remember everyone crying when it came out coz there machines were begging for mercy ;) might have a look and see if i can pick that up cheap over the xmas period.

Is Bad Company 2 that intense? I would have thought it would be along the lines of Medal of Honor (2010) which i got recently and was a bit disappointed by tbh, looked good but far too short a game :(

Soltaire, I have tried numerous combinations of settings for both GTA4 and ARMAII but each time I seem to get the same results, will take another look through settings over the next day or two and see if I can find anything else. The problem I think is that both of those games were initially created without SLI support and it was added later in a patch so that's probably why it's so tricky for people to get it working properly.

Just watched a trailer for METRO and It looks pretty sweet, think it's on offer on steam also so that is looking quiet likely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Crysis is still used as a benchmark for a lot of people.
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 online is a tester!
    i think their is a free benchmark program called unigine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    i think their is a free benchmark program called unigine?
    Aye, try the Heaven benchmark built on the Unigine engine. Lots of people use it, so it's a good way to compare your system to others.

If the OP just wants modern games that will make the new rig sweat, then Metro 2033 as already mentioned. STALKER games are also pretty demanding too, with all the eye candy turned up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead has better multicore optimistations than Arma 2, plays better too as Your not rendering thousands of plants. Its also very hard on a hard drive and much prefers an ssd, I've an ssd just for Arma as its continuously reading from the drive. With Arrowhead, You'll be then able to run Arma 2 as a mod in Arrowhead (combined Operations), its what nearly all the content is now made for and what the servers online run. Be sure to patch it up to date, latest patch came out today (with xmas gifts :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Once you're done with testing the GPU, try Intel Burntest to stress the CPU. Keep an eye on HWMonitor while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

while you are at it run 3d benchmark to see what you get and maybe we can compare what results we get

Advertisement