Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline ignores death of Gerry Ryan in their Top 10 Lows of 2010

• 22-12-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

We all know of the deafening silence from presenters on RTE after the inquest into the death of Gerry Ryan which established that cocaine was a factor in his death. I was listening to Liveline today and they are doing a poll on the Top 10 highs and lows of 2010. No mention of Gerry Ryan in the lows. I sent a text in which I knew would be ignored mentioning Gerry Ryan. Lows include "Bertie in the cupboard"
    I felt compelled to write this after the death of Tony Curtis was mentioned. Talk about ignoring the elephant in the room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I have to say that if I was counting the top 10 lows of 2010 then Gerry Ryan wouldn't even feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I have to say that if I was counting the top 10 lows of 2010 then Gerry Ryan wouldn't even feature.
    Would it be in your Top 10 highs then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

He wouldn't feature in my top 10 lows either tbh. I would put him on my couldn't give a ****e list.

The astute listeners of Liveline put "Bertie Aherne in the cupboard" as their No. 1 low of 2010. What is this country coming to?

These are the full results:

1 Bertie Ahern in the Cupboard
    2 Anglo Irish Bail out
    3 Expenses forTDs and Senators
    4 IMF
    5 Fianna Fail Think-in in Galway
    6 The Budget
    7 Passport Office Strike
    8 The Bad weather
    9 Houston Whitney Concert
    10 The ash cloud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

lighthouse wrote: »
    The astute listeners of Liveline put "Bertie Aherne in the cupboard" as their No. 1 low of 2010. What is this country coming to?

These are the full results:

1 Bertie Ahern in the Cupboard
    2 Anglo Irish Bail out
    3 Expenses forTDs and Senators
    4 IMF
    5 Fianna Fail Think-in in Galway
    6 The Budget
    7 Passport Office Strike
    8 The Bad weather
    9 Houston Whitney Concert
    10 The ash cloud
    Sad, isn't it? Collapse of our economy isn't as bad as an ad bertie did. How could normal presenter read that list out seriously? If a bad vocal performance at a concert was your low point of the year, you had a pretty good year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Should that not be the
    5 Fianna Fail Drink-in in Galway

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Maybe it's because a lot of people couldn't care less. Wouldn't even be on my top 50 lows for 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Gerry Ryan, was a medium fan of the man myself, he's two less to listen to on the radio but his passing would not IMO merit a low of 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

He wouldn't be in my top 10 highs or lows. Never rated him. and no more than the former media darling Katy French, he was responsible for the actions which possibly contributed to his death. I have sympathies for their families (then again, no more sympathy than to the family of any drug addict/user who has died as a result of their actions), but not for the person themself.

I just felt his non inclusion in the Top 10 which was picked by RTE (people could then text in to determine the order) was more to do with the "silence" from RTE after the results of the inquest came out. I bet if his death were from natural causes it would definitely have been in that top 10.
    Regarding my own opinion of the man I thought he was a very talented broadcaster and was obviously very popular cos of the thousands that tuned into him everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I made this point on the liveline thread... I think it is without doubt that his death WOULD have been on the list of lows if it had not emerged that he died from cocaine use... I think that is what I have a problem with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I made this point on the liveline thread... I think it is without doubt that his death WOULD have been on the list of lows if it had not emerged that he died from cocaine use... I think that is what I have a problem with...

Completely agree with this. Joe Duffy was front and centre talking about G Ryan after he dies but complete silence since the inquest. I'm certain it would have been on the list if the inquest had returned a different verdict.

Joe Duffy did talk a little about him this morning on the Legacies programme but it would have been a little difficult to ignore the subject when the programme was about people who DIED this year. :D
    It will be interesting to see what's said in tonight's programme "Gerry" on TV. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Joe Duffy did talk a little about him this morning on the Legacies programme but it would have been a little difficult to ignore the subject when the programme was about people who DIED this year. :D
    It will be interesting to see what's said in tonight's programme "Gerry" on TV. ;)

It's probably twenty years too early for warts and all, and I'll give it a miss, because it's bound to be too sugary for words.

It's pretty sugary so far allright :(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ah nuts

His death is not mentioned in the farewell section of "news review of the year 2010" either.

Ah nuts wrote: »
    His death is not mentioned in the farewell section of "news review of the year 2010" either.
    Yes you are right, but his death and the results of the autopsy are mentioned earlier in the programme, at the end of Part 1. It can be seen on the RTE Player here.

Advertisement