Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease is up, should I try to argue lower rent

Options
  • 22-12-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Living in a 2 bed, very nice apartment 3 mins from sandyford luas. paying 1100 pm.

Lease is now up and they are asking if i want the place for another year. should i try to push down the rent? 1100 was a great price for this apartment this time last year but im unsure if its still a good price ( i.e have prices dropped in the last year)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Try not to 'argue' about it but no harm in asking.

Just ask for a reduction of €100 pm, hopefully you'll get 50 even if you're saying it was reasonable a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I suggest you do some research and see what similar apartments are renting for. If you're paying over the odds and the landlord is inflexible, then move. You probably dont want that...neither would the landlord. Shouldnt be too hard to find some common ground. From a landlord's point of view, a tenant who takes good care of the property will tend to get a slightly better deal in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Cadoche

I'm not one of those that'll pay heaven on earth just to live in branded areas.

After my little research, I found that 2 double beds and 2 baths in your area are going for €950-€1000. Again, this is beacuse you wanna live close in Sandyford.

Please nobody should quote me but in my personal opinion, it really depends on where you work and what access you need. There are thousands of empty houses for several months so your landlord should definately remove at least €100 but I don't think he'll go below. If you want cheaper rent, you might wanna move just 4-5 roads down and save up to €250. Goodluck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

exaisle wrote: »
    I suggest you do some research and see what similar apartments are renting for.

but how can any prospective tenant know what the actual rents are, many LL's are agreeing to reductions in private but are not reducing their asking prices. so its impossible to know what real rents are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

who_ru wrote: »
    but how can any prospective tenant know what the actual rents are, many LL's are agreeing to reductions in private but are not reducing their asking prices. so its impossible to know what real rents
    are.

you can always call them and offer a bit less ,most landlords would prefer a bit less than 0 especially during winter when houses get damp with nobody in them so they could be paying to heat them as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement