Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Raw Snow shot. C&C please

• 22-12-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Went down to carton house today and took a few shots, picked this one and messed around with the settings as soon as you open a raw image in CS. Then just sharpened it up a bit cause I didnt have a Remote for the very steady shot. Plus only seeing it now but my lense had dirt on it so was raging about that! Let me know what you think as I would like to take more and not sure if this is a good one.

Thank you,

Paddy

CartonBoathouse1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Nice shot Paddy! I love the duck trails in the water. I was there on Sunday morning but there wasn't quite as thick a covering of snow.

By the way, I reckon that's dirt on your sensor and not lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nice shot Paddy, clean up the sensor dirt (spot healing brush/clone brush) and it good to go. As a bit of advice, I dont sharpen in the raw converter only when I have finished any adjustments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

preilly79 wrote: »
    Nice shot Paddy! I love the duck trails in the water. I was there on Sunday morning but there wasn't quite as thick a covering of snow.

By the way, I reckon that's dirt on your sensor and not lens.

It could be although I went up to guys doing the free censor cleaning a little while back and they cleaned it up, maybe must have gotten some in again. Raging!

Yeah I was trying to get everything in one, wouldhave liked if the people weren't sledding in the back but cant have it everyway!!

Thanks for your comment mate. ;)

Borderfox wrote: »
    Nice shot Paddy, clean up the sensor dirt (spot healing brush/clone brush) and it good to go. As a bit of advice, I dont sharpen in the raw converter only when I have finished any adjustments.

Yeah I brought it in in CS and the Raw screen comes up where you can make colour adjustments. This was the first time using this and fiddled around with it a bit, then opened the image in the main screen. did unsharp mask first, fiddled but wasnt happy, so sharpened more and ended up like this, added a small stroke and sig and thats the way i did it.

Thank you once again, will try cloning/heal now and see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ksapwaff

It could be although I went up to guys doing the free censor cleaning a little while back and they cleaned it up, maybe must have gotten some in again. Raging!

I doubt any got in again to be honest if it was the "free" sensor clean!!

• Advertisement

ksapwaff wrote: »
    I doubt any got in again to be honest if it was the "free" sensor clean!!

lol!! I hear ya!! I got it done with the guys up near woodies on the n7, think its the nangor road is it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

When you open up in photoshop, make a new layer and select filter/other/high pass set the px to 5 and click ok -back to the Layer Palette and select Hard Light from the left drop down and change the opacity between 20-70%

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/high-pass-sharpening.shtml

Borderfox wrote: »
    When you open up in photoshop, make a new layer and select filter/other/high pass set the px to 5 and click ok -back to the Layer Palette and select Hard Light from the left drop down and change the opacity between 20-70%

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/high-pass-sharpening.shtml

Thats a great tool, Im gonna have to use that more often!!

Heres a before and after what you've said, along with some cloning!

CartonBoathouse1.jpg
    CartonBoathouseHighPass-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Second one is much nicer, I thought the first one was way too dark.

I think it's a lovely photo. The second version is my preference, but the image really is very well composed. Fair play.

Regarding sensor dirt; i had my canon cleaned twice in the space of a month once, and there's still dust on the bastarding thing! I have two cameras though, thankfully, so the canon only gets used now if im gonna be shooting with a wide aperture for shallo Depth of Field or in poor lighting or such (anywhere i'd be using a small f/stop). Otherwise the dirt is too obvious. Pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Nice tranquil snow scene.

Get a cleaning kit of your own choice and clean your sensor when required.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Nice tranquil snow scene.

Get a cleaning kit of your own choice and clean your sensor when required.

Yeah that's definitely next on the list. Don't know how many times I've gone out and been let down by a dirty sensor.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's a nice snow scene with lovely blue skies. However there are two things I don't like about it.
    First is the dark vignette around the outer edges and second is that big watermark - destroys the picture for me.

It's a nice snow scene with lovely blue skies. However there are two things I don't like about it.
    First is the dark vignette around the outer edges and second is that big watermark - destroys the picture for me.

I Just put the vignette on it to emphasize the picture a bit, was meant to be a solid border but turned out like it did!!

The watermark was just simply for throwing it up on forums as it is one I use for shooting cars. So rather than just putting my name or a nice one i threw it on as I am very pleased with the way it came out!!!

Cheers for the comment though, will take your points for the next pic I try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Agree on the watermark, I really do not like them at all, I know people worry about images being swiped but better to have your details in the metadata than spashed across it or anywhere on it, they really can ruin a great image. I dabbled in it a while back, and actually hated my own images for the use of a watermark, so just stopped! if anyone really was bothered to steal my pictures, well, first off I'll take it as compliment, then I'll hunt the feckers down through the right channels. Watermarks can be cropped out, they're worthless IMHO.

Your image would make a nice Christmas card btw ;)

Agree on the watermark, I really do not like them at all, I know people worry about images being swiped but better to have your details in the metadata than spashed across it or anywhere on it, they really can ruin a great image. I dabbled in it a while back, and actually hated my own images for the use of a watermark, so just stopped! if anyone really was bothered to steal my pictures, well, first off I'll take it as compliment, then I'll hunt the feckers down through the right channels. Watermarks can be cropped out, they're worthless IMHO.

Your image would make a nice Christmas card btw ;)

was thinking about the metadata alright but not fully sure how to do it. think I seen something on youtube that you change the data in bridge is it?

Advertisement