Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

just recieved 60d... found it cheaper should I return it

• 22-12-2010 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Im having a terribly complex internal monologue with myself. Just bought a 60d from Amazon and paid €983.01 Ive subsequently found it cheaper on ebay Im thinking of returning as Ill save €200. Seems like a no brainer but I think I feel mlore confident dealing with Amazon if there's a problem within warranty, having said that Ive never had issues buying from ebay in the past.

The seller on ebay seems solid but the massive difference in price spooks me a little... Its quite different to whats available elsewhere... Anyone any advice/experience with the seller. The 200 euro saving would go a long way as Ive taken out 2,000 loan to buy equipment... BUT!! on the other hand, the Camera is sitting right in front of me, unopened and I desperately want to play with it. I just cant make a decision... Help!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll always find a cheaper price somewhere. at what point do you weigh caution against price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

you'll always find a cheaper price somewhere. at what point do you weigh caution against price?
    Thats the essence of my conundrum... but it is fair bit of money for me... especially as the money is spefically for gear which never happens and Im normally pretty savy and frugal when it comes price to value (to me) ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Is the ebay seller in Europe? If not, you'll also be liable for duty and VAT when importing it. So, you may not save as much as you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Ebay seller might be from china/hong kong etc... so the customs will raise the price a lot and you might not save anything/pay more. not worth returning unless the seller is definitely from the EU (some sellers say UK but stock is from hong kong).

Also most Ebay cameras are grey market= no warranty at all.

the seller is based in UK Ive checked that out Ive always got my eye on that and never take that risk.

Its the grey market thing that has me curious. He says one years 'sellers' warranty not 'manafacturers'. When getting something repaired normally the receipt does as proof of purchase. How will this guys receipt differ?

• Advertisement

101001 wrote: »
    Its the grey market thing that has me curious. He says one years 'sellers' warranty not 'manafacturers'. When getting something repaired normally the receipt does as proof of purchase. How will this guys receipt differ?

Any repair/service would have to be via the seller. So, you'd have to ship it back to them (at your cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

Did the Amazon price include a lens, the Ebay seems to be body only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

BUT!! on the other hand, the Camera is sitting right in front of me, unopened and I desperately want to play with it. I just cant make a decision... Help!

Aww go on open it and use it, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
    Good luck with your new toy.

Ettna wrote: »
    Did the Amazon price include a lens, the Ebay seems to be body only.

Both body only
    Aww go on open it and use it, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
    Good luck with your new toy.
    I still havent opened it yet... But this is the post I think I wanted to hear, kudos. I think Im trying to rationalise opening it... Its killing me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd be ****ing mad to go for a seller only warranty model. open the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Will the seller return it, I doubt it if it's not faulty. You've no right to return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

you'd be ****ing mad to go for a seller only warranty model. open the box.

Exactly. You'd be saving money, but you'd seem to be only on a promise from the seller, you have no idea how long they'll stick around or to that shambles of a warranty. Open her up and enjoy, You haven't lost a thing.

I just bought a used D90 that has better warranty [7mths left] than that new Canon on ebay.

Will the seller return it, I doubt it if it's not faulty. You've no right to return it.

Yes you do. Under distance selling legislation, you had 7 days to return the item, even if there is no fault.

At this stage, I think you'd be mad to send it back. You have it now. Open it, play with it, make the most of it.

*rip* *rip* *rip*... Its done. I couldve got it cheaper, but ill probably drink twice the difference over christmas

Ive a feeling this is going to be like if your wife cheats on you but you take her back and forgive her. Yet, when you get into an arguement you throw it back in her face. There is a resentment, be it ever so slight, but you love her all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Rael

Remember to factor in the costs of returning the package to Amazon (AN Post can be ridiculous for this, cost me €7 to return a cable to the UK via registered post, cost the sell 75p to send it via signed service).

More importantly you paid €983.01, when the credit card company processes the refund they'll apply a less favourable exchange rate so you'll be down a few quid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Ive a feeling this is going to be like if your wife cheats on you but you take her back and forgive her.

How did you find out? So sorry but it was a case of a bit too much to drink and it just happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

na your stuck with it boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

*rip* *rip* *rip*... Its done. I couldve got it cheaper, but ill probably drink twice the difference over christmas

Be happy. Enjoy your new camera. The Amazon price is very reasonable.
    Cheaper than Pixmania and Dabs.

You can get bargains on eBay, but you will find the really cheap
    ones are grey market imports with no warranty from Canon Europe,
    the wrong power plug and no English (or Irish) manual.

I deserve this.... No F*cking SD card!!! I ordered a class 10 and everything... Damn you Amazon. Damn! You!

It feels really nice though *rub*

I deserve this.... No F*cking SD card!!! I ordered a class 10 and everything... Damn you Amazon. Damn! You!

The memory wouldn't be in the camera box, so check all your packaging again, just in case. It may be in the original wrapping/box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Congratulations on your new purchase, enjoy it :D and next time you buy something STOP LOOKING then you wont get upset when you see it cheaper. Anyway cheaper is not necessarily better, a lot of the ebay sellers say they are based in UK but then you find the goods are shipped from Hong Kong and you get stung for import duty.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

It might be shipped separately...?

JustinOval wrote: »
    It might be shipped separately...?
    Yup it was... it was the whole box from Amazon I hadnt opened. I had selected to dispatch together but went through the dispatch notes. They were sent seperate, ironically the SD card was sent before but from Amazon germany as opposed to sent from Ireland (60d+50mm).

You know that kid christmas morning whos parents forget to get the batteries... thats me. Still works but wont save of course. Was looking forward to analysing the video material, might hit a shop tomorrow for an SD card. Articulated screen is the nuts! Really surprised by the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Tesco are open now and have 4gig class 6 cards for €13.99, not cheap, I know but I'm like a kid too, and can't wait to play with new toys. ;)

JustinOval wrote: »
    Tesco are open now and have 4gig class 6 cards for €13.99, not cheap, I know but I'm like a kid too, and can't wait to play with new toys. ;)

Tesco! you genius! Down home for the christmas, rocked into town just before closing to the 'camera' shops no class 6 thought id have to drive to limerick tomorrow. Tesco! Hadnt even thought of that. Id thank that post twice if I could. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I grabbed an SDHC 4GB from Tesco myself the other day [€13.99], bought a used D90 and seller wasn't giving his SD card with, though I could swear he mentioned it in the ad! No worries though as he let me off a tenner :D and I grabbed that card from Tesco on the way home, sorted. Much as we all tear into Tesco at times, they do have some sweet offers now and then.

Advertisement