Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance and accidental damage

Options
  • 22-12-2010 6:23pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

To cut a long story short, my darling laptop got covered in tea yesterday. Reckon it's R.I.P for said laptop, anyone know if this would this be covered in the house insurance for accidental damage? It's an apple, so costs the best part of €1000 and has literally just been paid off. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may be down to whether it was specifically declared on the policy or not. Also check what the excess is on the policy.

Did you buy a policy when you bought the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Most policies will cover home computer equipment anyway up to a certain claim. Think allianz is 740e or something. Out of this you will have whatever excess you agreeed to pay on any claim. Also any insurance bought when getting the laptop is perfect for you for claiming. If bought

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP, I feel your pain. I think it depends on who your insurance is with, I know on my own policy we have what's called 'unspecified all risks cover' which means that any items under €2000 in value are covered for accidental damage. Anything over that value has to be listed individually on the policy, so if for example, I had some sort of enormous tv that cost thousands, I'd have to specifically tell the insurer that it was in my home.

When I spilled tea into my own laptop I just rang them up and I got sent out a claim form, then I filled that in and a cheque arrived in the post a couple of weeks later for the purchase price of the laptop minus my excess. This was a few years ago though, and from what I've heard it's slightly more drawn out to claim off insurance nowdays.

Best bet is to ring your insurance company in the morning and ask them what you're covered for. In the meantime, put your laptop in the hotpress. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but it worked for my brother in law when his toddler spilled juice into his. I'm not sure how much went in though.

Advertisement