Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water mains frozen in Ennis?

• 22-12-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭

It seems like the water mains for the lahinch road is frozen. Is there any chance at all that the council would be able to get it working again before christmas?

Are there other places in Ennis that are without water?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm out the Kilrush Road and I seem to be ok, I've heard that Corofin is frozen as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Im on the lahinch road and water is fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Clare Co Co site emergency water supplies:

http://www.clarecoco.ie/water-waste-environment/news/emergency-water-supplies.html

I can't see any mention of frozen water mains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

On the lahinch road and water is frozen too

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bossman07

i would hardly think the mains themselves are frozen ,the most likely cause is the service pipe coming from the mains to the proprty which could be frozen, they should be buried in the ground to a depth of 750mm to protect them from such hazards , i worked on water main laying in uk for many years and some in ireland and i can be well confident that the pipes are far from that depth see some thing on sites in clare that certainly were eye openers ,when you finally get water back on leave cold tap in kitchen slighty running that will stop it freezing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

bossman07 wrote: »
    i would hardly think the mains themselves are frozen ,the most likely cause is the service pipe coming from the mains to the proprty which could be frozen, they should be buried in the ground to a depth of 750mm to protect them from such hazards , i worked on water main laying in uk for many years and some in ireland and i can be well confident that the pipes are far from that depth see some thing on sites in clare that certainly were eye openers ,when you finally get water back on leave cold tap in kitchen slighty running that will stop it freezing

is there any way to unfreeze the service pipe?

I presumed it was the mains because our house and 2 of the neighbours are all without water.

Does the water usually freeze at the stopcock? Would it be a bad idea to go at it with a butane torch to try and get it melted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Last year my in laws (up Shannaway Road) had water but their neighbours didn't, went out to check the stop cock (hehe I said stop :)) and it had frozen solid, they disconnected the valve, cleared it and put it back in, water worked then. It was funny to see someone try to reconnect a valve when the hole was filling with freezing water.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pedroThePirate

Akrasia wrote: »

I presumed it was the mains because our house and 2 of the neighbours are all without water.

Does the water usually freeze at the stopcock? Would it be a bad idea to go at it with a butane torch to try and get it melted?

I wouldn't use a blowtorch if I were you, my friend.
    Many modern pipe fittings contain thermoplastics - you could do damage.

Boil some bottled water and run that over the pipes/stopvalves etc.
    Expensive, I know, but better than no water !

Chris

Spot on Pedro, ideally if you could stuff some tea towels or old t-shirts onto the stop cock and douse that with water it'll be perfect. I think it's fairly random who has and doesn't have water, my neighbours don't, but I have

its not neccesarily always the stopcock that freezea althou they tend to be shallow the pipe could be frozen anywhere along the line as no.one knows its depth , all you an do it boiling water on the stop cock you might be lucky or hot air gun , if your not on a meter when it unfreezes leave cold tap in sick slighty running waste of water and not nice thing to be doing but will stop freezing occuring on service pipe ,depending on age of property and be copper, lead or poly service pipe.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »

also there is a sealed box thats available with stopcock built in ,we called them Atplas Boxes when i was doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Our waters ok tulla road,

BUT our cold water tank in not filling up, mains is ok.

No idea why cold water tank not filling, frozen pipe somewhere in the house?

Right thee Mains or Main the the pipe out in the road , the service pipe runs from Mains to house with stopcock usually at the boundary from stopcock it 9/10 goes to cold tap in kichen with another stop cock there, but on route to kitchen sink like in my house it branches off to tank in loft , so it could be froozen in loft near tank and not affect kitchen tap

Place to watch is in the roof space, where a rising main
    turns horizontal to feed a tank (CW or CH header).

I've been caught a few times like that when I lived in UK,
    where this kind of weather is *normal* in Winter ! ! !

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ayman

Park avenue right beside Dunnes carpark has an erratic water supply with some houses still having it and others not. Been out to the manhole with hot air gun and no joy. Can't believe there's nobody actually working on the pipes that are frozen. Our central heating might go too as no water in the tank. Its awful. Wish I could get some water piped up to my attic. Nightmare

You expect CCC to be out mending pipes two days off
    Christmas Day ? ? ? :D

My, that kind of optimism outranks almost anything . . .

-

See if you can actually turn the stopvalve on the street main.
    If you can, it ain't frozen and the fault lies (probably) in the feed to your
    house. I know that estate and I'd guess the contractors might have cut some
    corners with depth of incoming mains. If they're closer than a couple of
    feet to the surface, the Ennis temps of -10 to -14 just lately might have
    caught them.

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I'm on the Kilrush road near Cahercalla and we have been without water since Monday. Nothing coming in from the mains - we had a heater in the attic and I had a go at all metal fittings with a hair dryer, with no joy, so its definitely outside where the pipes are frozen.

Just checked the water tank and its 3/4 full, so had myself a shower while the going is good.

went up to check the water tank again and its not filling up, so not sure whats going on. Also taps are airlocked and not enough pressure in the mains to get rid of the airlock, will try again later.

I know people on the kilrush road opposite cahercalla and their water is good.

When we first moved into our house (5years ago) the water froze and that was because the builders didn't insulate the stop cock outside the house.

I didn't have any water at around 9 this morning, but it's back now. If you have problems, leave the kitchen cold water tap open slightly, if your water comes back that'll get the water flowing and should keep it from freezing over again

Yes, that flow is important.

Stationary water will freeze far more readily because the
    thermal mass is not changing.

Chris

• Advertisement

All water tanks empty and not refilling, thinking its down to low water pressure, not enough presure to fill up tank in attic until nighttime when demand is less. Still have mains water.

Fingers crossed, cant find any forzen pipes in attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ayman

Our heating is now officially gone since yesterday afternoon. Think the boiler like blew up or something. Sure was making a hell of a lot of noise. We'd manually put some water in the tank in the attic before trying to get it going again after it cut out. What a week this is going to be

Ayman wrote: »
    Our heating is now officially gone since yesterday afternoon. Think the boiler like blew up or something. Sure was making a hell of a lot of noise. We'd manually put some water in the tank in the attic before trying to get it going again after it cut out. What a week this is going to be

Is that a combi boiler that fills from the pressurised main or a gravity-fed
    boiler from a small tank next to your big CW tank ?

What you were hearing was entrained air in the heating circuit going through
    the boiler heat exchanger. It is doubtful that you have actually ruined the
    boiler, though. They're pretty robust at resisting that kind of treatment.

If you have no mains water pressure, you can't recharge the pressure in a
    combi boiler, so it's probably off until the mains come back on.

If you have a gravity-fed system, you could refill the header tank from
    another source of water, manually. Then, bleed all your rads and run the system.

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭trance2004

In Ballyduff, no water since yesterday. Tanks in the garage not filling up, but one of the taps in the bathrooms still gets water from whats left in the tanks.
    It looks like our stop cock is located outside the front gate with the meter, would it be safe to put some old towel in and pour hot water over?

DON'T ever do that ! ! !

Pour hot water in by all means but never put a towel or
    any other cloth material over the stopvalve. It will absorb
    the water, freeze solid, and you'll never be able to turn
    off the supply to stem leaks when the thaw happens !

Put polystyrene granules or bubble wrap in there to
    insulate - never cloth or paper.

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

No water in our house in Cappahard :(
    New baby
    Should = No toilets / No showers :(

Oh joy!
    Am blessed that my parents live 5 minutes away and am keeping me supplied with water for the toilets but its a pain having to go to my mothers for a shower every morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭trance2004

No worries pedro, wont touch it. It looks like the weather is improving a bit. 3 days no water so far. Maybe we can get it back very soon due to frost going away.

Still no water for me, although people closer to the front of the estate are starting to see trickles through their taps, hopefully soon it'll come down to my house soon enough, once everyone elses tanks fill and open taps are closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

angelfire9 wrote: »
    No water in our house in Cappahard :(
    New baby
    Should = No toilets / No showers :(

Where are you in Cappahard Anglefire? I'm in Waterside and sometime between 12.30 and 8.30pm last night lost the cold water in my kitchen. Still seem to be able to flush the toilets and use other cold water taps and have hot water. Had thought maybe the council shut the water down overnight but i guess not. Hopefully it's nothing major and with the thaw will sort itself out soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Good advice given by Clareman and pedroThePirate.

Clare CoCo and other Local Authorities could have helped peolpe a lot by giving advice on their Web site before the freeze came.
    They could have advised on
    - how to reduce risk of freezing pipes.
    - what to do once external pipes are frozen.
    - what to do once internal pipes are frozen.
    - How to prevent flooding when pipes thaw out.

I fear half the countries houses and commercial premises will be flooded now that the thaw has set in.

Advertisement