Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water mains frozen in Ennis?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Our mains is down to a dribble, water being turned of before 9 even though they say 9 there is no water from 8.30pm, tanks not refilling, no washing has been done since xmas eve, husband has taken the kids swimming so he can give them a shower. I did however manage to wash my hair yesterday took 45 mins to fill the basin. Were now have to use bottled water to flush toilets or leave basin to fill for 45 mins.

Its only getting worse for us, not better. if the council left the water on at night at least our tanks would have a chance of filling like they did before xmas eve.

And they want to introduce water charges!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Hey I finally got my water back today YAY!!
    but now I've noticed that there is a steady flow of water outside rising up from the stopcock.
    I can only assume that ice managed to crack the stopcock in some way and now that its thawed its leaking.
    So now what do I do?
    Is it a just a job for a plumber to replace the stopcock?
    Or do i need to tell the council or what?
    (I live in an estate)
    Any advice appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bossman07

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    but now I've noticed that there is a steady flow of water outside rising up from the stopcock.
    I can only assume that ice managed to crack the stopcock in some way and now that its thawed its leaking.
    So now what do I do?
    (I live in an estate)

report it to the council

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm not sure where the reasonsibility lies when it comes to stop cocks, it's the council's responsibility to get water to you, it's your responsibility to look after the water from there, if the gap in between gets damaged I don't know, although I don't think it's an expensive piece of kit, for the sake of waiting for a week to fix it you could try yourself

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    So now what do I do?
    (I live in an estate)

In the estate im in the construction company hired a fella to check and fix all broken stop cocks, out of over 200 houses there were 42 broken ones with water flooding out of them, one house either side of us had that problem, the council will only deal with council properties.

the guy who was fixing them in our estate used bonding tape.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wow, that's a very high failure rate, I'd make sure to get that checked before it's handed over to the council, might either be a problem with the model of stop cock or that they aren't installed right

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bossman07

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the reasonsibility lies when it comes to stop cocks, it's the council's responsibility to get water to you, it's your responsibility to look after the water from there, if the gap in between gets damaged I don't know, although I don't think it's an expensive piece of kit, for the sake of waiting for a week to fix it you could try yourself

depends on where the stopcock is situated ,if it is in the footpath outside your boundary you cannot dig up the path ,if its on your property which it might well be you can dig it up , it,s an awkward situation really as council will be unindated with calls, if your out of town and stop cock in grass verge no problem work away on it

Clareman wrote: »
    Wow, that's a very high failure rate, I'd make sure to get that checked before it's handed over to the council, might either be a problem with the model of stop cock or that they aren't installed right

The stop cocks are high up (as the council wanted ) so they can be read when water charges come in, The developer wanted them lower in the ground.

Our stop cock didn't freeze because we had extra insulation in there as it froze up on us 5 years ago when we first moved in. I didn't see the people fixing the stop cocks put any extra insulation in ( all the balls floated out and down the road) and its suppose to freeze again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pedroThePirate

There's no excuse for siting stopcocks higher, on the grounds
    of it being easier to read meters ! ! ! That's crap.

All water meters (proper ones, anyway) have a magnifying
    polycarbonate lens cover which enables the meter to be read
    easily from a distance of 1 metre or more. If Clare CoCo
    have any other kind, they ordered them off the back of a
    cereal packet, which wouldn't surprise me, actually.

:D

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Still no water in Crusheen. Council are saying its low pressure, locals saying a broken pipe in Barefield. If only the council could tell you exactly what the problem is and give you a timescale for when it will get fixed.

Good to see cars getting washed in Ennis. Surely this should be banned for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

glineli wrote: »
    Still no water in Crusheen. Council are saying its low pressure, locals saying a broken pipe in Barefield. If only the council could tell you exactly what the problem is and give you a timescale for when it will get fixed.

Good to see cars getting washed in Ennis. Surely this should be banned for the moment.

Likewise in Doora. No water for 4-5 days now. No explanation, no timeframe for it to be returned, no communication other than Clare Co Co website stating that water in Doora will be turned off each night...I wish...meanwhile the main concern is to get water to pubs in town tonight:confused:

Bif wrote: »
    ...meanwhile the main concern is to get water to pubs in town tonight:confused:

LOL ! :D

Heaven forfend that glasses should remain unwashed for
    the annual ritual of sinking tanker-loads of the black stuff
    down our quivering gobs and blocking up the mobile phone
    networks with inane midnight messages . . .

I'm going to watch Film Four at home with a Pot Noodle
    and the wife.

Chris

Bif wrote: »
    Likewise in Doora. No water for 4-5 days now. No explanation, no timeframe for it to be returned, no communication other than Clare Co Co website stating that water in Doora will be turned off each night...I wish...meanwhile the main concern is to get water to pubs in town tonight:confused:

I was told yesterday that the priority was to get the hotels back up and running for tonight, good to know where the small villages stand in the whole scheme of things!!

I rang the council today, they said they have just started to get a few reports from crusheen about no water so will look into it. What a joke!!!

Folks,
    Spoke with the council twice today and have recieved no clear technical reason / logical explanation for there being no water in Doora for 5 days when many other areas have some supply. I also asked could we not have supply for one hour a day to fill house tanks and was told that is not possible. That is about the same amount of information as I got five days ago. Obviously it is the same in Crusheen. Co CO now appear to be saying that this will go on for another week at least. I would like to know how many other areas have no water supply at all. Please post if your area has no supply at all.

BTW enjoy the pot noodle...can't beat them! :D Happy New Year to one and all. Will it surpass 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

There's no excuse for siting stopcocks higher, on the grounds
    of it being easier to read meters ! ! ! That's crap.

All water meters (proper ones, anyway) have a magnifying
    polycarbonate lens cover which enables the meter to be read
    easily from a distance of 1 metre or more. If Clare CoCo
    have any other kind, they ordered them off the back of a
    cereal packet, which wouldn't surprise me, actually.

:D

Chris

When I was living in the states 10 years ago the city I was in installed stopcocks with rfid chips that they didn't even have to open to read - a truck with a special metre reading device could drive through an estate and collect the data off every house without even having to stop. The city said they cost less than the older stopcocks they had been installing.

That was 10 years ago. You would think the new metres/stopcocks here might have something like that.

@CptSternn:

It might be wishful thinking, possibly bordering on
    an opium dream, to imagine that CCC are even aware
    of this technology, let alone in possession of the skills
    base required to implement it.

I wouldn't hold my breath . . .

Chris

Still no water in crusheen, still no idea when we will get it back. All we are told is that its low pressure. This is a joke!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 clareit

Clare county council is run by muppets and gobsheens. They are the worst shower of black and tans in the country. The only thing you can expect when asking those feckers a question, is a downright lie in response. When the water charges come in, everyone in the county (country even) should refuse to pay them. Lets face it, if it doesn't rain for 2 days then we are on water rations, When it does rain, the effluent of farmer paddy's field fills the water system with cowcrap! I propose a new welcome sign when entering Clare. "Welcome to Clare, Enjoy ye cup-a-cowcrap (whilst supplies last)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Still no water in crusheen, still no idea when we will get it back. All we are told is that its low pressure. This is a joke!!

Your best bet is to get hold of Pat Flynn or Gordon Deegan and get them to plaster it all over the national newspapers. Guaranteed to get a result.

The situation is now truly desperate.

My daughter and her family on Rathbán on the Tulla Road
    still have no water and she is coming to Kilkee tomorrow
    so that she and my grandchildren can have showers and
    wash their hair here ! ! She says they now look like
    tinker kids because they have had no water since before
    Christmas.

CCC have no fit excuses for all this. Ennis's water supply
    gives you gastroenteritis in the Summer and is off during
    freeze-ups. Fine choices in a "civilised" EU country.

Hats off to the councillors, driving about in their "11"-reg
    Lexus's and Merc's and bingeing about on junkets all over
    the continent at our expense.

Chris

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0103/breaking18.html

I'd be interested to know what defines "full supplies", I've had water for the past few days, but haven't had enough pressure for water to fill the tank during the day, I don't think that defines "full supplies"

Sure, how do they expect the pressure to build up if they keep switching it off? Only in Ireland. Is it asking too much of our elected officials to tell us the truth instead of lying through thier teeth to us about the state of affairs? It would seem that the county planner isn't qualified to build with lego, never mind plan for an entire county. I also live in Crusheen, and we were one of the lucky houses that didn't freeze, but have had no water, not even a drip out of the tap since the 26th. The amount of my neighbours that have telephoned the council and even gone in to them, that have been told "Oh, we are not aware of any problem in Crusheen other than the current restrictions" Lies, Lies Lies!! The council should either stop lying to us and give us a proper timeframe and acknowledgement of the fault, or hand the county over to someone who can run it properly (The Rubber Bandits get my vote). Brian Meany must be creaming his pants at the moment over all that lovely water he is partly responsible for conserving at the expense of making his county stink!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

There still a standpipe in Cratloe still!!!

Cool. Who said ranting never got you anywhere? We just got our first water since the 26th. It's brown and undrinkable, but it's back. Wonder how long for?

clareit wrote: »
    Sure, how do they expect the pressure to build up if they keep switching it off? Only in Ireland. Is it asking too much of our elected officials to tell us the truth instead of lying through thier teeth to us about the state of affairs? It would seem that the county planner isn't qualified to build with lego, never mind plan for an entire county. I also live in Crusheen, and we were one of the lucky houses that didn't freeze, but have had no water, not even a drip out of the tap since the 26th. The amount of my neighbours that have telephoned the council and even gone in to them, that have been told "Oh, we are not aware of any problem in Crusheen other than the current restrictions" Lies, Lies Lies!! The council should either stop lying to us and give us a proper timeframe and acknowledgement of the fault, or hand the county over to someone who can run it properly (The Rubber Bandits get my vote). Brian Meany must be creaming his pants at the moment over all that lovely water he is partly responsible for conserving at the expense of making his county stink!

Its back tonight, but for how long?

My own theory, they turned off the likes of Crusheen to keep hotels like the auburn in business during the busy christmas period. I spoke to one councilor and he hinted that maybe Crusheen was actualyl turned off on purpose, when i asked him to repeat it, he didnt. What they have done tonight is turn off the gort road and left us on. Why couldnt they do this last week, at least give us something.

As you have rightly said, its all been lies, lies and more lies. Water pressure this, broken pipes that. Its a joke!!!

maybe Crusheen was actualyl turned off on purpose
    They still sore we won the County Final? ;)

Balagan wrote: »
    Your best bet is to get hold of Pat Flynn or Gordon Deegan and get them to plaster it all over the national newspapers. Guaranteed to get a result.

TG4 and RTE showed people in Doora queuing for water and the water was back on the next day and it has been on since without being shut off...coincidence?

Looks like water gone again in Crusheen!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Same here on the Kilrush road. It comes and goes depending on the time and day. We can hear the tank filling in the attic when it's on, and sometimes that is 4am and other times its like 4pm. No rhyme or reason. The hot water runs out constantly because the boiler has yet to fully fill and the water that does come out looks a bit brown.

Advertisement