Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double standard of EU 'Prevention of revision of the Past'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Morlar wrote: »
    Personally I consider calling someone a 'a nauseating little anti Semite.... ' to be over the line, not at it or near it or brushing against it.

When you don't have a point to make or when you are losing an argument to lash out with insults should not be tolerated in my view.

In this case this one is not a response or a reaction it is the initiation of an exchange of insults which I have so far refrained from responding to.

I've been known to be generally supportive of Israel and the IDF but the anti-semitism card is one that I don't think is necessary to be used on this forum as those in Ireland who oppose Israel generally don't do so for racial or ethnic reasons but for political, moral or ethical reasons (although I think those reasons are generally wrong.

Playing the anti-semitism card is usually the prelude to ending a discussion rather than starting one as its seen as an insult by most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I've been known to be generally supportive of Israel and the IDF but the anti-semitism card is one that I don't think is necessary to be used on this forum as those in Ireland who oppose Israel generally don't do so for racial or ethnic reasons but for political, moral or ethical reasons (although I think those reasons are generally wrong.

Playing the anti-semitism card is usually the prelude to ending a discussion rather than starting one as its seen as an insult by most people.

I don't think it should be a threadlocker in this case but it should certainly warrant an infraction of some sort. imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭depaly

In fairness to Morlar even though I may not agree with a lot of his viewpoints, he is not anti-semitic.

All he has done in this thread is point out that while the Holocaust killed 6 million, Stalinist terror murdered closer to 20 million but it doesn't have the same level of awareness and the EU are in effect are helping to impose this double standard.

As for the Hollywood thing it was an attempt to show a comparison with Jewish leadership in the Bolshevik party and communism in general by percentage of population. Marx, Engels, Trotsky etc all identified as Jewish (whether 'jewishness' can be considered an ethnic group is a whole other debate) for example. Jews in the USSR probably made up around 5% of the population but constituted closer to 30-40% of the communist leadership. This helps explain the Nazi attempt to paint a link between communism and Judaism.

Likewise people who identify as Jewish in the Untied States only make up 1.7% of the population. Proportionally you'd expect a handful of Jewish people to be the heads of the film studios as a result, not every single one as is the case. This is just using the laws of averages. This kind of shows that when people use the phrase 'disproportionate involvement' it is fair to use in this case. A comparison would be with people of Hispanic origin in the US who comprise 15% of the population or African Americans who make up 12%. How many people from these backgrounds are or have been studio heads in the past?

Just as yourself and Morlar would
    no doubt be struck by the
    'disproportionate involvement'
    of the Irish in U.S. policing and
    firefighting.

What that has to do with the EU's
    'double standard' is anybody's guess...

A massive generalisation about the Irish 'who oppose
    Israel'!!!!!
    Like Dev, you can 'look into the hearts of the people'!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

depaly wrote: »
    Just as yourself and Morlar would
    no doubt be struck by the
    'disproportionate involvement'
    of the Irish in U.S. policing and
    firefighting.

What that has to do with the EU's
    'double standard' is anybody's guess...

Are you ignoring everything I posted on purpose?? I clearly stated that I disagree with a lot of what Morlar says but that calling him anti-semitic isn't fair.

As a matter of fact people of Irish descent are disproportionally represented in U.S. police and fire departments. They only make up 5% of New York's population for example but 50% of NYPD officers but quite what that has to do with the EU's double standard is up to you to prove. You're the one who has dragged this thread way off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

A massive generalisation about the Irish 'who oppose
    Israel'!!!!!
    Like Dev, you can 'look into the hearts of the people'!!!!

You're as guilty of generalising just as much in the opposite direction. Do you have any respectable research that proves Irish opposition to Israel is not based on the actions of the Israeli government and military as regards the Palestinians????

Quite what Eamonn De Valera is doing popping up in this thread is beyond me.

What has been discussed in this thread is the disparity between treatment of the victims of different regimes in 20th century Europe.

It should be clear that in the context of this thread memorialisation does not refer exclusively to Ireland nor does it refer outside of the WW2 related realm.

I would say that it is vastly over estimated, in my view.

I don't recall saying 'my culture'. The rest of your post descends into the fascetious.

I find the disproportionate involvement of jews in the media to be . . . . disproportionate. If anything is distasteful in this it is the dis-proportionality and what that entails.

That's right when you have nothing to say start calling names & slinging that mud, that'll work. No one will notice that :)

No, you said 'our culture', as if you were
    speaking for all of us.
    Which you aren't.

Anti semitism, which reached it's nadir
    with the Holocaust, existed before, during
    and after the 'WW2 realm'.
    It exists in present day Europe, unlike the
    Communist oppression of the Soviet Union.
    So perhaps is more immediately pressing.
    All the murdered millions deserve to be
    acknowledged, respected, recorded and
    mourned.
    Germany, for example, has, to a great extent,
    acknowleged, repudiated and attempted to
    atone for it's Nazi past.
    The practicalities of holding Russia
    to account are another story.
    The hope would be that, in due course,
    it would also be on a voluntary basis.
    Many facts are already known.
    Some have been provided on this thread.

In any event, the declaration being sought
    is about people in the EU condoning or denying
    Communist atrocities, is it not???

I wasn't 'slinging mud'. I was giving an
    honest opinion.
    Whether people 'notice that' is entirely
    up to themselves.

I'd agree that the japaneese were guilty of vile, heinous crimes and got off extremely lightly. Not just WW2 but pre WW2 in Nanking etc as well as their inhumane treatement of british, american & australian prisoners of war.

Re the death tolls - I'd prefer not to get bogged down in pure numbers but I would basically agree with these (while making the point that they all flow from the same source) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Book_of_Communism

I would also make the point that the list above does not include mass rape, torture or ethnic cleansing (except where pople died) which are also warcrimes. Also it is difficult to give accurate numbers and the true total could be significantly higher. The overall disparity probably also contributes to the difference between the levels of research focus on those crimes of different regimes. BTw that Holdomor figure is widely varying - I have read elsewhere it is between 8 - 10,000,000.

'It should be clear that in the context of this thread memorialisation does not refer exclusively to Ireland nor does it refer outside of the WW2 related realm.'

I think you've gone outside your self declared
    'realm' with that post.

Personally I consider calling someone a 'a nauseating little anti Semite.... ' to be over the line, not at it or near it or brushing against it.

When you don't have a point to make or when you are losing an argument to lash out with insults should not be tolerated in my view.

In this case this one is not a response or a reaction it is the initiation of an exchange of insults which I have so far refrained from responding to.

I had plenty of points to make, and made them.
    I didn't 'lash out'.
    I gave an honestly arrived at conclusion.

The russians only admitted to the Katyn massacre in order to improve trade relations with Poland, they didn't do it for moral or ethical reasons.

The russians/soviets have not admitted to the vast majority of crimes that they committed both during the war and post-war.

If your so smart then name the russians that have been prosecuted and/or convicted of war crimes.

I don't recall mentioning the motivation of
    Russia in admitting to the Katyn massacre.
    I'm impressed, however, at how you seem
    to have the inside track.

I thought that this thread was about EU
    declarations, and not convictions and
    prosecutions of Russians.
    In any event, I respectfully suggest that
    the various European countries would have
    had some difficulty in achieving same.
    Given that the Soviet Union was a nuclear
    superpower.
    Today's Russia is not an insignificant military
    force, either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Katyn wanst monumental For the Russians admitting they had Massacred all those Polish Officers, it was Monumental because Russsia Finally admitted that it had covered it up and Blamed the Germans.
    An investigation conducted by the Prosecutor General's Office of the Soviet Union (1990–1991) and the Russian Federation (1991–2004), has confirmed Soviet responsibility for the massacres. It was able to confirm the deaths of 1,803 Polish citizens but refused to classify this action as a war crime or an act of genocide. The investigation was closed on grounds that the perpetrators of the massacre were already dead, and since the Russian government would not classify the dead as victims of Stalinist repression, formal posthumous rehabilitation was ruled out.[15] The human rights society Memorial issued a statement which declared "this termination of investigation is inadmissible" and that their confirmation of only 1,803 people killed "requires explanation because it is common knowledge that more than 14,500 prisoners were killed."[16]

In November 2010, the Russian State Duma approved a declaration blaming Stalin and other Soviet officials for having personally ordered the massacre.[17]

So Why isnt there a Weisenthall Centre Type investigation Hunting down the perpetrators of these Crimes???

I don't recall mentioning the motivation of Russia in admitting to the Katyn massacre. I'm impressed, however, at how you seem to have the inside track.

I thought that this thread was about EU declarations, and not convictions and
    prosecutions of Russians.In any event, I respectfully suggest that the various European countries would have had some difficulty in achieving same.
    Given that the Soviet Union was a nuclear superpower.
    Today's Russia is not an insignificant military force, either.

I could suggest a lot of things to you but they wouldn't be anything respectful about them, so in future I think I'll just refrain from replying to you.

Just as yourself and Morlar would no doubt be struck by the 'disproportionate involvement' of the Irish in U.S. policing and firefighting. What that has to do with the EU's 'double standard' is anybody's guess...

Going by your 'logic', for you to even mention this disproportionality betrays the fact that you are nothing but 'a nauseating little anti Irish'.
    No, you said 'our culture', as if you were speaking for all of us. Which you aren't.

I would never claim to speak for anyone else least of all someone like you. The use of the word our culture would be intended to indicate a common culture we all share in the mainstream.
    Anti semitism, which reached it's nadir with the Holocaust, existed before, during and after the 'WW2 realm'.
    It exists in present day Europe, unlike the Communist oppression of the Soviet Union. So perhaps is more immediately pressing.

Crimes of the soviet regime exsisted long before the nsdap came to power and continued for a long time after they had left the worlds stage, affecting a LOT more people. How this makes them less pressing than those of other regimes is something you have yet to explain.
    All the murdered millions deserve to be acknowledged, respected, recorded and mourned.

Only some more than others going by your atempts at justification of a double standard in this regard.
    Germany, for example, has, to a great extent, acknowleged, repudiated and attempted to atone for it's Nazi past. The practicalities of holding Russia to account are another story. The hope would be that, in due course, it would also be on a voluntary basis. Many facts are already known. Some have been provided on this thread.

Your reasons for why crimes of the communist/soviet regime should be addressed in some sort of fluffy, voluntary manner at some 'vague future date' - would not be very impressive.
    In any event, the declaration being sought is about people in the EU condoning or denying Communist atrocities, is it not???

If you read the thread all will be revealed or perhaps not in your case but it would be a good start.
    I wasn't 'slinging mud'. I was giving an honest opinion. Whether people 'notice that' is entirely up to themselves.

I could give an honest opinion of you but it would not be very flattering. It would include some long words you might have problems with so I better not. Also I don't feel the same level of desperation as you do at losing an argument due to having no valid points whatsoever coupled with a milimetre deep level of understanding of 20th century European history.

'It should be clear that in the context of this thread memorialisation does not refer exclusively to Ireland nor does it refer outside of the WW2 related realm.'

I think you've gone outside your self declared 'realm' with that post.

Keep up with these posts - they must be very impressive to the people who dip into and out of the thread but for people who read it in sequence you will find they are less impressive.

'Playing the anti-semitism card is usually the prelude to ending a discussion rather than starting one as its seen as an insult by most people'.

Do 'most people' consider it an 'insult' if there is
    actually anti-semitism???
    Whether one's in possession of a deck of cards
    or not........
    Funny people.

As you can see I'm still very much in the discussion.
    Whereas it is you who have opted out
    of replying to me!!!!!!!!!!!

Katyn wanst monumental For the Russians admitting they had Massacred all those Polish Officers, it was Monumental because Russsia Finally admitted that it had covered it up and Blamed the Germans.

So Why isnt there a Weisenthall Centre Type investigation Hunting down the perpetrators of these Crimes???

I gave you the reason in the post directly
    before yours.
    Perhaps you didn't read it.

By the way, I agree that Simon Wiesenthal did
    a tremendous job.

Going by your 'logic', for you to even mention this disproportionality betrays the fact that you are nothing but 'a nauseating little anti Irish'.

I would never claim to speak for anyone else least of all someone like you. The use of the word our culture would be intended to indicate a common culture we all share in the mainstream.

Crimes of the soviet regime exsisted long before the nsdap came to power and continued for a long time after they had left the worlds stage, affecting a LOT more people. How this makes them less pressing than those of other regimes is something you have yet to explain.

Only some more than others going by your atempts at justification of a double standard in this regard.

Your reasons for why crimes of the communist/soviet regime should be addressed in some sort of fluffy, voluntary manner at some 'vague future date' - would not be very impressive.

If you read the thread all will be revealed or perhaps not in your case but it would be a good start.

I could give an honest opinion of you but it would not be very flattering. It would include some long words you might have problems with so I better not. Also I don't feel the same level of desperation as you do at losing an argument due to having no valid points whatsoever coupled with a milimetre deep level of understanding of 20th century European history.

Keep up with these posts - they must be very impressive to the people who dip into and out of the thread but for people who read it in sequence you will find they are less impressive.

I've never accused you of logic!!!
    I'll take your contrived, reciprocal and
    totally illogical insult on the chin!!!!
    I won't throw a hissy fit and run whining
    to the moderator like yourself!!!!

'a common culture we all share in the mainstream'.
    Could you translate that gobbledegook for us???

The rest of your spoofology and bluster seems
    of no consequence to me, and adds precious
    little to the debate, I'd suggest....

You shouldn't judge people as 'dipping in and
    out of the thread'. If you're so sure that this
    happens - then perhaps you will outline again the
    'Double Standard' that pains and torments you
    so much.

This time in a clear, informative and sensible
    manner.

I've never accused you of logic!!! I'll take your contrived, reciprocal and totally illogical insult on the chin!!!! I won't throw a hissy fit and run whining to the moderator like yourself!!!!

'a common culture we all share in the mainstream'. Could you translate that gobbledegook for us???

The rest of your spoofology and bluster seems of no consequence to me, and adds precious little to the debate, I'd suggest....

You shouldn't judge people as 'dipping in and out of the thread'. If you're so sure that this happens - then perhaps you will outline again the 'Double Standard' that pains and torments you so much.

This time in a clear, informative and sensible manner.

The word 'culture' I believe entered the thread in this post :

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69925869&postcount=47
    I don't like the distortion, I don't like the fact that it has become strategically vital and there is so much riding on it. I don't like how it has become a cash cow either so there is a lot to dislike about it. I don't like how it has pervaded our culture, media, films, art and books to the exclusion of what is numerically the greater suffering of those at the sharp end of communist oppression.

Since then you have misread that as to say 'My culture' and not 'culture' - I took that as an honest misunderstanding on your part & so corrected you to point out that it was not 'My culture' but 'culture' or 'our culture' ie the common culture.

If anyone else has an issue understanding the meaning of this word 'culture' in the context of the quoted post above let me know.

As to the rest of your post it is at your usual level and no surprises there. I am inclined to agree with the view that discussing anything with you is an utter complete and total waste of time.

I gave you the reason in the post directly
    before yours.
    Perhaps you didn't read it.
    Really??? Cos I read it but it didnt make any sense
    Deplay wrote:
    I don't recall mentioning the motivation of
    Russia in admitting to the Katyn massacre.
    I'm impressed, however, at how you seem
    to have the inside track.
    I think its essential to understand the Russian Attitude&Motivation towards these Massacres, once you understand that you will understand why so many of us view it as a Double Standard
    I thought that this thread was about EU
    declarations, and not convictions and
    prosecutions of Russians.
    the thread is about the LACK of EU wide Declarations and the implications that has on the conviction and Prosecution of Soviet war Criminals.
    In any event, I respectfully suggest that
    the various European countries would have
    had some difficulty in achieving same.
    Given that the Soviet Union was a nuclear
    superpower.
    Today's Russia is not an insignificant military
    force, either.
    So, Might is right??? is that what you are saying?
    By the way, I agree that Simon Wiesenthal did
    a tremendous job.
    Dont even start me on Wiesenthal, theres another thread here about the Deluded Selfagrandising Opportunist he was.

However I am in no mood for another one of your deflecting tangents, Could you outline your position in a short paragraph please?

The word 'culture' I believe entered the thread in this post :

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69925869&postcount=47

Since then you have misread that as to say 'My culture' and not 'culture' - I took that as an honest misunderstanding on your part & so corrected you to point out that it was not 'My culture' but 'culture' or 'our culture' ie the common culture.

If anyone else has an issue understanding the meaning of this word 'culture' in the context of the quoted post above let me know.

As to the rest of your post it is at your usual level and no surprises there. I am inclined to agree with the view that discussing anything with you is an utter complete and total waste of time.

I already addressed your arrogant
    assumption of what constitutes
    'our culture' and what you think
    'pervades' it.

Ignoring that, and descending into
    an adolescent variant of semantics
    is really clutching at straws.

If you weren't to 'discuss anything'
    further with me, it would at least
    mean an end to snide remarks about
    pervaded culture, Jews in Hollywood
    and how there's 'a lot to dislike'
    about the Holocaust in the various
    media.

That would be progress of a kind!!!
    And perhaps a hopeful sign that
    you are developing a modicum of
    cop-on......

Really??? Cos I read it but it didnt make any sense

Dont even start me on Wiesenthal, theres another thread here about the Deluded Selfagrandising Opportunist he was.

However I am in no mood for another one of your deflecting tangents, Could you outline your position in a short paragraph please?

Just for your information, Mahatma -
    the thread isn't about whether
    'might is right'.

It would be difficult to achieve
    prosecutions and convictions
    ( never mind arrests!!! ) of
    citizens of a nuclear superpower.
    You read that - and it doesn't make
    any sense!!!!
    Methinks you don't want to make
    sense of anything that doesn't suit
    you!!!!!!

You called for a 'Wiesenthal Centre
    type investigation' earlier.
    Now, you clearly have no time for the
    man, and do little to hide your
    distaste for him!!!!!!!!!
    You are contradicting yourself, and seem
    totally confused!!!!!

Maybe it's because you are similarly
    minded to Morlar, if you get my drift!!!!!

• Advertisement

Just for your information, Mahatma -
    the thread isn't about whether
    'might is right'.
    Really, in one breath you Say that

and then you go on to say
    It would be difficult to achieve
    prosecutions and convictions
    ( never mind arrests!!! ) of
    citizens of a nuclear superpower.
    so which is it
    You read that - and it doesn't make
    any sense!!!!
    Am I right in guessing that English isnt your first language???
    Methinks you don't want to make
    sense of anything that doesn't suit
    you!!!!!!
    I'm one of the few posters still willin to 'engage' with you in this discussion, primarily BECAUSE I want to make some Sense from your argument.
    You called for a 'Wiesenthal Centre
    type investigation' earlier.
    Important word Bolded
    Now, you clearly have no time for the
    man, and do little to hide your
    distaste for him!!!!!!!!!
    No secret there, I dislike the way most of the Holocaust industry functions, theres no business like Shoa business
    You are contradicting yourself, and seem
    totally confused!!!!!
    Oddly enough thats exactly what I thought when I read your post
    Maybe it's because you are similarly
    minded to Morlar, if you get my drift!!!!!
    No I dont 'Get your Drift'
    if you have something to say to me then SAY IT, otherwise keep your barbed lilttle jibes to yourself

'Am I right in guessing that English isnt your first language???'

Now where have I read that before??!!!!
    Regurgitating smart ass comments from past
    threads is not very original.
    Are you running out of ideas??
    Have you got any???

'No secret there, I dislike the way most of the Holocaust industry functions, theres no business like Shoa business'

And you're the fella who's so upset with
    'barbed little jibes'!!!!!
    You have the sneering, anti semitic smears down pat!!!
    As I know that you're not very original, I'm wondering where
    you read your propaganda....
    I'm inclined to go for the lefty, eirigi, Hamas fan club type
    of horse manure.
    It's hard to know........
    Because the neo Nazi neanderthals come out with the same
    hate-filled codswallop!!!!
    Well-matched fools on the lunatic fringe!!!!

Ah yes, I remember you well, Mahatma.
    Take your contribution on the first page.

'We're mintin it from this Holocaust Lark, and We're not Sharing'

Bit of a broken record, it seems....
    Obsessed, even.
    Unpleasant and ugly, certainly.

Yourself and some of your compadres on this
    thread are so obsessed with the 'Holocaust
    industry' that you seem to have completely
    missed the point that it is the EU which
    decides on these 'declarations'.
    And if yiz think the EU is unduly influenced
    by Jews or Israel - then yiz are even bigger
    fools than I thought!!!!!!!!!!

Tell ya what,How about you Lay out your main Points of debate on this topic in a nice clear manner and we can discuss that.

or you can continue with the ad homenims and run the risk that one of the Mods will see it and ban you.

I really couldnt be arsed gettin into a flame war

'Am I right in guessing that English isnt your first language???'

I said I wasn't going to reply but really this is a case of pot kettle black. If you criticise someone elses spelling or punctuation then you do rather open yourself up for criticism too.

And perhaps you could try formatting your posts so they went across rather than down. Also someone REALLY needs to disable the exclamation mark on your keyboard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ok, time out.

Locking for now, I'm at work and will take an indepth look a little later.

NTM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You shouldn't judge people as 'dipping in and
    out of the thread'. If you're so sure that this
    happens -

Well, it does happen, and unfortunately, one of the people dipping in and out is this moderator, so I've just spent the last while going back to see what I'm missing. And I just see people getting a little too 'into' the discussion.

I'm re-opening the thread, in the possibly over-optomistic and naive hope that we can go back to the topic of the various acknowledgements and/or regrets over various nasty incidents in world history and move away from the 'this is what I think you think' school of argument.

I'm just not sure that the two sides aren't talking past each other. A good brawl every now and then is all well and good, but even if nobody goes and specifically violates the charters, I may well just conclude that the disruption and heatedness is detremental to the forum and re-close the thread.

So, let's not go back to accusations of who's anti-semitic or not, as they don't really help the discussion of the main subject. The next thread lock will be permanent.

NTM

OK for those of you just joining us heres the Jist of the thread

ther exists a Double Standard at the administrative level of the EU where on the one hand they are activley pursuing an EU Wide legislation to bring the Holocaust Denial laws into effect across all 27 member States, while at the same time Rejecting an application from 4 Former Soviet Bloc Countries to have the same type of national legislation applied Union Wide in regards the crimes of the Red Army.

So IMO a Glaring Double standard Exists

I'm just not sure that the two sides aren't talking past each other.

I don't want to see the thread locked as this is an important discussion (despite the quality of thread we are left with).

Can I ask though do you think it's a case of 'both sides talking past each other' or perhaps of one side trying to deflect the trajectory of the discussion by various means ? Non relevant information, missing the point either intentional or otherwise, applying irony quote marks around the word 'crimes', and descending from there to sniping from the sidelines and then to base insults ?

Would you honestly characterise this as 'Both sides talking past each other' ?

OK for those of you just joining us heres the Jist of the thread

ther exists a Double Standard at the administrative level of the EU where on the one hand they are activley pursuing an EU Wide legislation to bring the Holocaust Denial laws into effect across all 27 member States, while at the same time Rejecting an application from 4 Former Soviet Bloc Countries to have the same type of national legislation applied Union Wide in regards the crimes of the Red Army.

So IMO a Glaring Double standard Exists

I asked who, in the EU, denies the crimes of the
    Soviets during WW2.

No one gave me a meaningful answer.

Rafa said the Russians!!??, but he clearly
    hadn't been paying attention.
    Earth to Rafa, Russia isn't in the EU!!!!

So this application is unecessary and
    irrelevant. Deceptively plausible, but
    false.

A 'Double Standard' doesn't arise, and
    Mahatma is getting his 'jist' in a twist
    over nothing!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I don't want to see the thread locked as this is an important discussion (despite the quality of thread we are left with).

Can I ask though do you think it's a case of 'both sides talking past each other' or perhaps of one side trying to deflect the trajectory of the discussion by various means ? Non relevant information, missing the point either intentional or otherwise, applying irony quote marks around the word 'crimes', and descending from there to sniping from the sidelines and then to base insults ?

Would you honestly characterise this as 'Both sides talking past each other' ?

Manic Moron mentioned 'two sides talking
    past each other' and I agree with him.

On one side, you have song-and-dance man
    Mahatma telling us 'there's no business
    like Shoa business'.

On the other, we have Morlar going into
    detailed semantics around the word
    'culture'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the moderator said, this type of
    irrelevant guff 'doesn't really help the
    discussion of the main subject'.

Advertisement