Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 litres of ham and onion flavoured Coca Cola?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

This is what I have left after cooking Nigella's ham in coca-cola recipe. She says not to throw away the cooking liquid, but I'm struggling to think what I can use it for. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had the same problem last year when I boiled the ham in apple juice, and thought it would make a suitable base for a soup. Let's just say I was wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I asked some friends, and so far they've suggested another Nigella recipe for Black Bean soup (thinking long and hard about that one) and also using the stock in home baked beans - which sounds more promising. For now, I think I'm going to freeze the stuff because I can't envisage making a pot of baked beans between now and Christmas - unless someone comes up with another idea, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I believe it's customary in the Lawson household to store it in the fridge and make night time raids on it while dressed in acres of satin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Add dark muscovado sugar to taste, reduce it, use as a glaze for roast duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Engine cleaner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I cooked noodles and pak choi in it last year, very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

A few years ago I used the left-over stock from the Coca-cola ham to make the Black Bean Soup - as suggested in 1 of Nigella's book.

Let's just say, that it was the worst tasting soup ever! :(

Think you're just better off dumping the coca-cola stock - it's done it's work in flavouring the ham anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Try making a glaze out of it for chicken, or for your next joint of bacon/ham? I'm not sure how long it would last for, but it could make an interesting marinade.
    The duck suggestion from a previous poster sounds very yum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I've made Nigella's black bean soup, which is lovely. The sweetness of the cola and ham would destroy the inherent spiciness of the soup, although maybe a cup of the cola stock might be alright with it, rather than chugging the whole lot in?

Advertisement