Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

Anyone an recommendations for New Years Eve?

Before anyone says stay in or get the hell out of here, I am already doing option B. Its for a friend coming over from England.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well I'm going to, er, where is it again...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

need a few recommendations myself, was tinkin of the mercantile of dame street, a tenner in and with a decent bank, get tickets in advance though, heard that dandeloin in stephens green was 50 quid in and free drink, just what i heard though, any one else got any recommendations, looking for somewhere that won't be wedged and where you won't get ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Rezident

need a few recommendations myself, was tinkin of the mercantile of dame street, a tenner in and with a decent bank, get tickets in advance though, heard that dandeloin in stephens green was 50 quid in and free drink, just what i heard though, any one else got any recommendations, looking for somewhere that won't be wedged and where you won't get ripped off

Same as. Haven't actually heard of anywhere good yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Rezident wrote: »
    Same as. Haven't actually heard of anywhere good yet.

the only difference between new years and a regular weekend night is all the same shite places just charge a tenner in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Rezident

ok looks like there's Dublin Gospel Choir in Christ Church - €30
    Guinness Storehouse - €79! Ouch.
    any good or any better ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

We went out last New Year's Eve and it was one of the quietest nights I've been out in Dublin. The weather was bad that night, but most places were almost deserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

yeah they have heard of the guineas night, also pointed them towards the phantom fm night.

Was in the mercantile two years ago and it was terrible. They had no heat working were gonna kick us out at 12.30. twas terrible night the year before that it was awesome though who knows.

so hard to get a guaranteed good night in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

everyone is invited to my New Years Eve party....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Depends on your scene but I'd be more inclined to go somewhere like the long hall, stags head or grogans and just have a few pints/drinks without all the hype and bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

vicar street are doing a night of music, collaborations and comedy, tickets 35euro and looks good, tickets on ticketmaster.

http://www.visitdublin.com/events/alldublinevents/Detail.aspx?id=237&mid=8715

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

The Japanese Popstars & Kormac's Big Band are playing at Tripod.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/The-Japanese-Popstars-tickets/artist/987385

• Registered Users Posts: 34 chogxox

Here's the link to the Dublin New Year Festival that's happening from December 30th til Jan 1st.

http://www.dublinnewyearfestival.com/

The Dublin Gospel Choir are in Christ Church Cathedral on New Years Eve doing a concert before the ringing of the bells, then 'New Year Live' at Guinness Storehouse has Republic Of Loose and lots of other bands and DJs with food etc and there's loads of other free entertainment happening too including the 'Solas' event in Dublin Castle so if money is tight there's still loads of things to see and do.

Hope this is of some help!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Looks like Crawdaddy or Bernard Shaw for my group! Looking forward to it loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭pink100

heading to guiness storehouse ....variety of bands and dj's...hoping I made the right choice cause the tickets are expensive.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

Looks like it could be a ****e night in Dublin. Bank Holidays are dead there, I don't expect much from NYE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Depends on your scene but I'd be more inclined to go somewhere like the long hall, stags head or grogans and just have a few pints/drinks without all the hype and bullsh1t.
    Best pubs in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Mercantile is a dump man. Most hostile bouncers and a boring atmosphere.

We done the Wright's/Hotel pack. See how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I was thinking of Whelans but my preference would be a few pints in a pub somewhere but noone else wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Fibbers or Sub Lounge.

I did have a blast in Fibbers last year! :) Was the only girl dressed up too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tigar999

Try Vanilla night club, they seem to have a good DJ there for the night.
    Or Dandelion night club.
    But New Years normally very dead in Dublin and not enough buzz, as nobody makes effort for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've got five friends over from the UK for the night. Two couples and a single bloke on the pull. Therefore I'm having to think of something for everyone. I've been warned that NYE in Dublin is pretty quiet but that's fine, really. I was thinking of just heading down to Temple Bar as at least there should be some kind of craic down there, if nowhere else.

Will all the pubs be charging to go in tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Anyone know if there are plans for fireworks in City Centre tonight?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've got five friends over from the UK for the night. Two couples and a single bloke on the pull. Therefore I'm having to think of something for everyone. I've been warned that NYE in Dublin is pretty quiet but that's fine, really. I was thinking of just heading down to Temple Bar as at least there should be some kind of craic down there, if nowhere else.

Will all the pubs be charging to go in tonight?
    Yes, they will be charging out the ass. Basically I don't think you can get in anywhere for less than €10.

Most places that don't charge will charge between €10-€20 tonight.
    Places that usually charge hike their prices. AFAIK you also needed to buy these tickets in advance (someone told me XXI, a shíthole, sold tickets on ticketmaster this year :confused:).

Is that just places in Temple Bar which will be charging or other places in the City Centre (the likes of Sinnotts, Bruxelles, Cafe en Seine)?

I object on principle to paying to get into a pub, particularly if it wil be less busy than a normal weekend evening.

Is that just places in Temple Bar which will be charging or other places in the City Centre (the likes of Sinnotts, Bruxelles, Cafe en Seine)?

I object on principle to paying to get into a pub, particularly if it wil be less busy than a normal weekend evening.
    Yep, all charging. I know for a fact that Cafe en Seine is charging €10. Doors open at 8pm, but I was told by a friend of a friend who is a manager (or something) there that the queue will start around 6ish.

Well they hope that the queue will start at 6pm. That seems to conflict with all the stories I've had that Dublin will be quiet.

Is the 'doors open at 8pm' thing pretty standard across town?

Well they hope that the queue will start at 6pm. That seems to conflict with all the stories I've had that Dublin will be quiet.

Is the 'doors open at 8pm' thing pretty standard across town?
    Dublin is usually mental on NYE. That's why I never go out. Don't know where people are going that is quiet really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sandvigen

I just moved here yesterday, and doesn't really know anyone, yet..

Is there anyone who wants a norwegian guy to join them today?
    I do feel ready to party, and I'm quite excited, even though I end up at a bar alone :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 kirr

Anyone know if there are plans for fireworks in City Centre tonight?
    Anyone? I didn't find any information about the fireworks today... wouldn't they usually do something in IFSC area?

Advertisement