Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roast potatoes

Options
  • 22-12-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

any have a good way to make really good roast potatoes? also can i have the turkey and the potatoes in the oven at the same time, not the same tray obviously.

Comments

Aunt bessies ;)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Aunt bessies ;)
    I had to google that... I am assuming they are frozen? are you for realz?? :rolleyes:

Irishrover, I too need a good (not aunt bessie style) was of doing my roasties as this is the first time I will ever attempt them! :o and yes, the potatoes can go in with the turkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

As Heston Blumenthal ad on the telly says, lots of square edges, boil for 10 mins, and roast in oil. Goose oil/fat is the best tasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭IRISHROVER98

ok so once i put them into a pan of cold water, bring it to the boil, and leave them for 10mins?

Well according to Gino D'Acampo frozen roasties are the way to go!

But I'm sure someone will know better than a top chef!

• Advertisement

ok so once i put them into a pan of cold water, bring it to the boil, and leave them for 10mins?

when you drain them, you should give them a good shake to break them a little for a much better texture when roasted.

Pretty much, you can steam them if you have a steamer, to keep the moisture down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

You can have your turkey out of the oven and resting (covered in foil) and it will stay hot while your spuds are roasting - i saw Jamie Oliver doing these http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegeterian-recipes/perfect-roast-potatoes on tv the other day - they looked yum and his recipes are usually spot ono

i will admit where i am stuck, so to speak, is do i bring the water to the boil then add them? or put them into cold water, when that starts to boil, leave them for 10mins, is that how i do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Roast potatoes are a must in this house, and my OH would have them every day if he could.

Boil water, add potatoes for 7-10 min and then into a hot oven, 220-225 for 30-40 min, in pre-heated duck/goose fat, coat the potatoes fully in the oil. Turn once or twice. Works for us

So they have to be cooked in top oven, and not in with the Turkey. But if you only have one oven, no reason not to take out turkey once done and let it "rest" covered in tin-foil (it will stay hot, promise). Put up the heat in the oven and then add the potatoes and you'll be good to eat in 40 min.

Home cooked the only way. :)

• Advertisement

i will admit where i am stuck, so to speak, is do i bring the water to the boil then add them? or put them into cold water, when that starts to boil, leave them for 10mins, is that how i do it?

hmmm, it dosen't really matter, but the 'boiling for 10 minutes' would be the important part.

Cooking is all about experimentation. try some in the cold water first, and when they start to boil, add the rest, and see if there is much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 123MEE

Bring them to the boil and then drain them, leave them uncovered with the ring off for about 5 minutes so they dry out. Put some oil (ideally goose fat but olive oil or anything really will do) in a baking tray and heat in the oven for 5 minutes. Then carefully; don't get burnt, place each spud in the tray and coat with oil and some sea salt if you like. You can put these in the oven for 10-15 mins before you take out the turkey. When you take out the turkey and leave to rest, turn up the temp of the oven to about 220C and give the spuds a turn. They should take about 35-40 mins. Enjoy :D

Trial and error in this house says boil first and then add

I'd be a boiler then adder too!

Oh yeah, the quality of the spuds is very important.

If you have good spuds, you will be a long way to having good roast spuds.

kierank01 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, the quality of the spuds is very important.

If you have good spuds, you will be a long way to having good roast spuds.

Maris Pipers are best, but you won't be able to use these for Mash

juke wrote: »
    Trial and error in this house says boil first and then add

I suggest they need to be boiled from cold, otherwise they may cook too fast on the outside and fall apart

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

all i do is cover them in oil, cook slowly from cold and people always love mine
    sometimes i put in basil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Oh no don't boil them, just add them around 50 minutes before turkey is done, and for god sake don't buy frozen ones.

123MEE wrote: »
    I suggest they need to be boiled from cold, otherwise they may cook too fast on the outside and fall apart

OH found that they are more crispy when they are put into boiling water - but I do keep an eye on them from about 5 min, to make sure they don't disintegrate.

Isn't mad, all the different ways people swear by :)

Makes me want to experiment

• Advertisement

what would be the best oil to use and how much would roughly be suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dublinvillian

normally olive oil an rosemary , does it for me , but sometime i make up a mix of soy sauce and olive oil , makes them nice a brown

what would be the best oil to use and how much would roughly be suitable

any type of oil you have will do, best = goose fat, but olive or veg oil will do just as good a job. Put in about 2-3mm.

Goose fat nicest
    Olive oil healthiest!!!

If using Olive Oil use regular, not extra virgin. You can buy Goose fat in most supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Just to add my method (which is a lot like 123's) - put pan of cold water on stove, add spuds, bring to the boil, boil for about 7 minutes, drain and allow to dry out a bit. Put them back in the saucepan and shake vigorously to roughen the edges (so they go extra crispy). Take your turkey out of the oven (it will stay warm) to rest. Put some goose fat (you can buy it in pots) in a roasting pan, put it into a 200 degree oven to melt and heat. Once it's sizzling, add the spuds, basting to make sure they're covered in fat. Cook for 25 mins, then turn, and cook for another 15 mins, whilst you're dealing with veg, carving turkey etc.

Perfect every time. If also cooking Yorkshire puddings, put those in about 15 mins after the potatoes, and they should be ready around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭danois

* 4kg potatoes
    * 2tbls fresh rosemary
    * 2tsp paprika
    * 2tsp brown sugar
    * 10tbls olive oil
    * 10 garlic cloves (with the skin on)

Measurement Conversion Calculator
    Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius/gas mark 5
    2. Peel and cut the potatoes in half and par boil the potatoes for 10 - 12 minutes, then drain.
    3. Pour some oil into a baking tray for a shallow fry and heat in the oven till hot.
    4. With the pestle and mortar crush the rosemary, sugar and paprika together.
    5. Place in a bowl and add in a few drops of olive oil.
    6. Add the potatoes to the bowl and using your hands, cover well with the marinade.
    7. Return the covered potatoes to the baking tray and place the garlic cloves all around them.
    8. Roast in a pre-heated oven for approx. 40-50 minutes.
    9. Half way through cooking turn the potatoes.
    10. Serve and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Maris Pipers are best, but you won't be able to use these for Mash
    Why not? :eek: I made mash from them a few days ago and they were fab. I didn't realise they weren't a "mashing" potato. What would you suggest for mash, I might pick some up tomorrow?

I make roasties by chopping potatoes leaving sharp edges and with as much surface area as possible. (got that tip from nigella!:D)
    The reason potatoes (and all root veggies) are best boiled from cold is because they take longer to cook than other veg, if you start them in boiling water, the outside tends to be broken up and overdone by the time the middle is done. Although as you are finishing them in the oven, it probably wont make a difference. It's just a habit of mine really, so I stick with it.

So bring to the boil, boil for about 6/8 mins. Take out and drain really well. In the meantime have your roasting dish with oil in it, heating in the oven. drizzle more oil over the potatoes, salt, pepper, whatever herbs you're using, bash around a bit to coat the potatoes and break them up slightly then tip into the hot oil. Stick them back into the oven, turn them every few mins, I'm terrible for allowing one side to burn :o. I reckon they take about 40 mins, I've never really timed them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Golden wonders make great roasties and mash!

Be careful with the pre-boiling for roasting with these, though. Start with cold water and once they start to boil check regularly as the outside can disintegrate very quickly. Definitely no more than 10 minutes boiling and dry them over heat. don't forget to give the saucepan a shake while drying, as this makes them nice and flowery and adds to the crispiness when roasted

For the best mash, use a steamer

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

Whispered wrote: »
    Why not? :eek: I made mash from them a few days ago and they were fab. I didn't realise they weren't a "mashing" potato. What would you suggest for mash, I might pick some up tomorrow?

I make roasties by chopping potatoes leaving sharp edges and with as much surface area as possible. (got that tip from nigella!:D)
    The reason potatoes (and all root veggies) are best boiled from cold is because they take longer to cook than other veg, if you start them in boiling water, the outside tends to be broken up and overdone by the time the middle is done. Although as you are finishing them in the oven, it probably wont make a difference. It's just a habit of mine really, so I stick with it.

So bring to the boil, boil for about 6/8 mins. Take out and drain really well. In the meantime have your roasting dish with oil in it, heating in the oven. drizzle more oil over the potatoes, salt, pepper, whatever herbs you're using, bash around a bit to coat the potatoes and break them up slightly then tip into the hot oil. Stick them back into the oven, turn them every few mins, I'm terrible for allowing one side to burn :o. I reckon they take about 40 mins, I've never really timed them properly.

stick with the maris pipers they're a good all rounder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Par biol the potatoes for 8-10 mins, drain and give a good shake. Toss in seasoned flour and coat well in hot goose fat and roast until crispy. Lush...

Advertisement