Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

converting super8 to video

• 22-12-2010 8:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭

possibly not the best forum to ask in, but does anyone know where in dublin i might get this done? any idea how much it might cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

possibly not the best forum to ask in, but does anyone know where in dublin i might get this done? any idea how much it might cost?

i used muck around with super 8 but not in ireland so i couldn't recommend anyone in particular. google threw up a few results
    www.super8ireland.com (they are based in galway, and i'm not affiliated with them/haven't used them) look promising given they do proper frame by frame transfer, and not just by projecting your film and recapturing it with a digital camera which is what i know some places do. (that's passable if you're stuck but not preferable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Fujicare on Abbey Street do it as far as I know.

Gunns may be able send them off.

Just to confirm though, by video, you mean digital recording, and not VHS?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DVD at a minimum, preferably just a video file.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

video capture cards are pretty common, source some cables and a cam with video out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

video capture cards are pretty common, source some cables and a cam with video out?

I don't think super 8 cameras typically have a video out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I know you said you want to drop it on somewhere but to be honest you are better off doing it yourself.
    Ive been down this road a few times, heres the best balance of ease and quality. Get a digital8 camera off ebay that has firewire out and plays Video8 and super8. Most do, but not all. Get a firewire card if you need one. Then its as simple as getting free DV software, give the tape a filename and click capture. The capture part could literally be done on a Pentium II so dont worry about the spec of your PC.

If you are doing it you might as well do it right. This will give you a DV video format which is the way to go if you plan editing. Even if you dont its the best base format to start with and archive. You'll need 15-20GB of storage per tape.

When you are done, sell the camera on ebay and call it good. I have a list of cameras that you can put into a custom search on eBay to find one that you need. Let me dig it up....

/edit OK here's the info you need: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055648658
    E&OE, be SURE to check that the model plays Video8\Super8 before you bid ;)

/edit #2 OK turns out I'm way off base here, Super8 is a lot different! Ill leave this post up for the benefit of those that it might actually help. You can try a post (or have this one moved) to the audio/video editing forum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I know you said you want to drop it on somewhere but to be honest you are better off doing it yourself.
    Ive been down this road a few times, heres the best balance of ease and quality. Get a digital8 camera off ebay that has firewire out and play Vide8\super8. Get a firewire card if you need one. Then its as simple as getting free DV software, give the tape a filename and click capture. The capture part could literally be done on a Pentium II so dont worry about the spec of your PC.

If you are doing it you might as well do it right. This will give you a DV video format which is the way to go if you plan editing. Even if you dont its the best base format to start with and archive. You'll need about of storage 15-20GB per tape.

When you are done, sell the camera on ebay and call it good. I have a list of cameras that you can put into a custom search on eBay to find one that you need. Let me dig it up....

Unless I'm -completely- misunderstanding what you're saying (which is quite possible), I think you'd be hard put to find a digital cam that plays super 8.

I was originally planning on doing this, but I eventually buckled after weighing up the pros and cons. So the wife is getting a canon SD camcorder for christmas. She's also expressed dissatisfaction at the turnaround time on still shots I take of the kids. It's the start of a slippery slope ...

Actually, if you can dig up a projector ...
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Movie_Making_Manual/Post-production/Telecine#Amateur_telecine_of_Super_8mm_footage:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

slightly off topic, how much would you pick up a super 8 cam for ?

love the quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

thebaz wrote: »
    slightly off topic, how much would you pick up a super 8 cam for ?
    I just sold one for a tenner.

There's also a place in Dun Laoghaire that does frame-by-frame telecine 8mm digital converts.

My Uncle video'ed some old family footage using a projector, screen and a DV camcorder and the results were pretty good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement