Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is A&E in UCHG closed on Christmas Day?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Half-listening to Galway Bay FM this late afternoon. Thought I overheard someone announcing that the "A&E unit will be closed on Christmas Day."

Can anyone clarify what the story is and whether I heard right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

No, would that not be mad? They may operate with less staff but would always have people working

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Can't see that going well..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mc3ac

I think what you may have heard was the Galway Clinic A+E (private) is closed Christmas Day, but open every other day. University College Hospital A+E (public) is open as normal as far as I know. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

That would make sense. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Nope, unfortunately no day is ever sacred for medics. They work on a skeleton staff though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Private sector have the day off and the public sector have too work! Cut their pay again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 abcde123

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Private sector have the day off and the public sector have too work! Cut their pay again!!!

Not only do the private sector have that day off a lot of them have every other day off, so be thankful for the employment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Well I know doctors who will be working in UCHG on xmas day so I severely doubt they're having the hospital open and just closing A&E, it'd be complete nonsense.

Unfortunately with the snow, ice and the amount of alcohol being consumed, A&E will be quite busy on Xmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

A & E in UCHG is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I used to work there and last year I worked 10 hours Christmas Eve night, Christmas Day night and New Years Eve Night as well as a load of other crappy hours in between. It was not fun.

This year, I have a different job, and I'm off from today until the 4th of January. This will be much more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I think mc3ac is probably right, you may have got mixed up with the private clinics A&E, the regional A&E is always open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope, unfortunately no day is ever sacred for medics. They work on a skeleton staff though.

Fortunately for the rest of us, though.

And TBH, it depends on what type and level of medic they are.

The vast majority of GPs will not be working - but some lucky souls will be pulling shifts for Westdoc and Citydoc. Ladies and gentlemen, we salute you, whilst hoping like hell that we personally don't need your services.

The vast majority of consultants will not be working, but some will be on call and some will be called.

As for interns, registrars and NCHDs (or whatever they're called here) ... cannon fodder for unsociable hours. Again we salute them, too.

OP, I heard the ad you're referring to. It was definitely for the Galway Clinic.

Advertisement