Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Original Xbox360

• 22-12-2010 9:38pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 26

I've got the original xbox360, before they even put the HDMI slot on the back of it and i'm wondering if the newer xboxs run quicker?

I was playing fifa 11 the other day and noticed it always slow whenever i was selecting teams among other times and over in one the lads' house it was runing perfect. He has the white xbox but only bought it about a year ago.

Is there difference in performance in the newer xboxs? Mine has red-ringed of death 3 times and been repaired. I've had it for nearly 4 years...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

he could have the game installed to the hard drive, this would make it a bit quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

West10th wrote: »
    I've got the original xbox360, before they even put the HDMI slot on the back of it and i'm wondering if the newer xboxs run quicker?

I was playing fifa 11 the other day and noticed it always slow whenever i was selecting teams among other times and over in one the lads' house it was runing perfect. He has the white xbox but only bought it about a year ago.

Is there difference in performance in the newer xboxs? Mine has red-ringed of death 3 times and been repaired. I've had it for nearly 4 years...

Nope, no real difference between them (even the new 'slim' models) , as gooch said, if you can install it to the hard-drive it'll help a bit with loading. It could be that your xbox is going to Red Ring again soon, my old 4 RRoD launch day 360 always started lagging and doing weird things before it decided to die again. You've probably went through it enough too to notice it happen before :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

installing makes a huge difference for loading the fifa games on 360. if you have or can make the room on your hard drive, you have to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

No, they're just far less liable to break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

In theory they could have made the new slim XBoxes run quicker, because of all the technological advances since the original was made. But then the problem would be that you have a splintered user base and users having different experiences with games running differently on each console. (Just look at the PC gaming hassles for an exaggerated view of what can happen with different hardware running at different speeds, etc.)

As others have mentioned, installing the game to the hard drive (if you have room) can generally make a world of difference. Also, if you're on an older console, it is possible that you have installed and deleted a load of Demos, DLC, Arcade games, etc. This can probably cause fragmentation of files on the disc and maybe affect load times.

Something to look at would be this (http://www.ehow.com/how_6668855_defrag-xbox-360-hard-drive.html). I've never done it myself, so can't guarantee an improvement - one thing to note is that "Clearing the console system cache to defrag an Xbox 360 hard drive deletes all the previously downloaded game updates. You will need to re-update each game the first time it is played."
    1. Turn on the Xbox 360 console to open the Dashboard menu.
    2. Highlight “My Xbox” in the Dashboard menu.
    3. Select “System Settings” from the “My Xbox” section of the menu. Press right on the controller to scroll through the “My Xbox” section options. Press the “X” button on the controller to select it from the menu.
    4. Select “Memory” from the system settings. It is the third option from the top of the list.
    5. Highlight the Xbox 360 hard drive in the storage devices selection menu.
    6. Press the “Y” button on the controller to open the hard drive options menu. “Clear System Cache” may not initially be visible on the menu. This is the option needed to defrag an Xbox 360 hard drive.
    7. Press “X,” “X,” “Left Bumper,” “Right Bumper,” “X,” and “X” to add “Clear System Cache” to the menu. This is not necessary if this option is already visible.
    8. Select “Yes” on the confirmation prompt. A status bar will appear. The system cache will be cleared and the hard drive defragged when the process is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 26 West10th

Yeah, looks like the xbox is knackered, keeps crashing BF2 and red dead but interestingly new vegas running fine (after the patch of course) as well as fifa...

How would I write fifa to the HD if I only have the CD?

Advertisement