Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New puppy

• 22-12-2010 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

I just got a new puppy yesterday, it was a rescue pup so it wasn't planned although I had wanted one for a while.

I've never had a dog, or any animals growing up so I feel a bit lost. I had nothing for her and she came with nothing, so last night I slept in the sitting room with her and she would only sleep in my arms but I cant do that every night obviously, I'm wrecked today, so I bought her a little bed and bowls and some toys today.

I've been reading about training, at the minute I'm just trying to catch her as she goes and put her on newspaper, and a lot of sites mention using a cage for puppies as somewhere for them to sleep and play then taking them out to go toilet. Is that a good idea? I do want somewhere where I can keep her if I have to go out to the shops or while I'm out of the room or cleaning but keeping her in a cage seems a bit cruel, I dont know?

Oh and tonight I have put her in the kitchen with her bed and toys and Ive put paper all over the floor, is that an ok place for her sleep for now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi op, what kind of dog did you get and how old is she?
    she should be ok in your kitchen tonight but be prepared if the bed has been eaten (thats what happened in my house anyway) :D
    i have no experience with crate training but a lot of other posters here really recommend them. i personally left my pup in the kitchen if i was popping out for a while and every nite, left a lot of papers on floor for him and had no problems.
    bring her outside as soon as she eats or drinks and she'll soon get the hang of toilet training.
    post pics if you get a chance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Superwhy

Thanks, shes a Pom cross and is 8wks old. Shes so cute.

Is it ok to take her out now, even though its -whatever degree outside? I just thought it would be too cold for her and shes so little!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Firstly you will need to take her to a vet to get her vaccinations, she will need 2 doses a few weeks apart. It's advisable not to take her out in public untill a week after her second batch as she won't be immune to the horrible disease the vaccinations protect against. I also have all my pets microchipped in case they should ever go missing. Feed her on a high quality dry dog food (you can add water to start with if she finds it too hard to eat dry!) and give her only water to drink.

Crate training helps with toilet training, house training and establishing and helping the pup to learn the rules. Here are a few previous threads which should help you a lot! Don't let her chew on anything that isn't hers, it makes life a lot easier later on ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056056919

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056052493

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056015979

There's also a lot of good advice in this thread although my pup turned out to have some medical issues which was the cause of her problems.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055965879

Most importantly - enjoy your puppy, they don't stay puppies for long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Don't worry about crate training, it's not cruel. My three dogs were all crate trained. We used to only put them in there when we left the house and that was only ever about two hours, four tops and they were fine with it. All you have to do is settle them when they go into it and they lie down and fall asleep.

When it comes to toilet training, you just have to be consistent. If you see her sniffing around in corners, take her out. The rule to live by is as soon as she wakes up from a nap or eats or drinks anything, out she goes. Puppy bladders are quite small so they tend to need to pee a lot. The more you bring her out, the sooner she'll catch on to what's you expect from her. That's what I did when mine were pups and they were fully toilet trained after a few months.

adrenalinejunkie is right. She can't go out in public places, especially where there's grass until she has all her shots, but your garden or back yard should be fine. I think letting her out to do her business is okay as she won't be out there on her own and for long. Once she's done something, praise her, whisk her back in and wrap her up and she'll associate going out as a good thing and be more willing to do it.

The best advice I could give is to just enjoy her. Pups are a lot of work but just accept that some things may be eaten, there will be some accidents and have fun teaching her and just watching her be a puppy!

I wish you and her many happy and healthy years together! She looks adorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

shes beautiful :D
    i second whats already been said, crate training gives them a safe place to call their own and you`ll know she`ll be safe and happy if you go out!!!
    just be consistant in all your training and stay with her while you have her out to pee etc with LOTS of praise like a mad person when she goes....worth a few odd looks from the neighbours lol!!
    as shes quite small, while you wait for her to finish her course of needles you can carry her out and about to see things, just dont put her down on the ground etc!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Superwhy

Thanks for the replies, I think I will get her a crate, I'd feel better about leaving her if I knew she was safe and I like the idea of her having her own little space.

She's had her first lot of injections and the charity I got her from will give her her second lot of injections after xmas. They've been really good and said they will help me out if I ever need it.

I haven't taken her outside at all yet though, I've just been trying to get her to go on the newspaper, not very successfully I'll admit so I will try taking her outside soon.

Advertisement