Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**IS IT TOO LATE TO TAKE UP ECONOMICS**

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

& Does anyone else have any other tips on how to achieve a good grade in Economics?. Looking for a B2+..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ricky92

Why economics??? Do agi science way easer!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Rapid revision + Exam Papers + Marking Schemes = A1

Seriously for most subjects a teacher isn't required if you can make enough use of the marking schemes and economics is no exception. Focus on the exam qs after each chapter and what's in the marking scheme and you won't go far wrong

Rapid revision + Exam Papers + Marking Schemes = A1

Seriously for most subjects a teacher isn't required if you can make enough use of the marking schemes and economics is no exception. Focus on the exam qs after each chapter and what's in the marking scheme and you won't go far wrong

Thanks Gordon Gecko! I think I am gonna focus on the Macro section first, it looks much more appealing in my opinion!! Too many graphs in Micro at the start! :L

Any other advice regarding choosing Macro or Micro and which one is easier and more likely to appear on the exam paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

Definitely keep up to date with current affairs. Loads of economics is theory, but reading about in action can help explain loads of concepts. Other than that you sound fine. Send me a PM if your struggling or anything. Good luck
    I'd also suggest beginning with macro if it means anything at this stage...

Thanks!! Can I ask why would you start with Macro?

Well tbh they don't have to be dealt with completely separately. It'd be debatable whether one is easier. The basic micro is a good foundation i suppose but my teacher began macro and now moves back and forth so.. You said the graphs put you off but they're not really hard so I wouldn't let that influence your decision. Trying to give advice without making the decision for you, like don't just do it because I say so- it's my opinion. I read back the thread and there doesn't seem to be a sentiment either way. But to answer your question ehh macro is more interesting I think and I just found it to be more appealing. So hope that helped, maybe not haha but what I'm really trying to say is that I'm sure either way it won't have a bearing on how you do. The other economics class in my school have a different teacher and they've focused solely on micro since day one. So yeah good luck again

Thanks so much!! Think i'm going to do the introduction chapter in Micro and then proceed to Macro.. More theory and definitions in macro which I like a lot and find easier to learn. :D is www.cso.ie the website to check for all the latest statistics regarding unemployment, imports, exports etc?.

Yeah the cso would be good. Use a couple of resources- newspaper, internet and stuff. Nothing strenuous but just a flick through each every couple of days and you'll do well.

• Advertisement

Thanks!! Is it hard to get a B2+ in Higher Economics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 AtomicMess

Our Economics teacher told us that Economics is the most easiest marked exam subject because they're trying to encourage more people to take the subject.
    I get taught Economics once a week by a teacher in my school.
    We started in January 2010 and we were at Banking in the May,
    so its handy.
    And good on you for thinking about these things now.

Thanks so much! Wow I didn't know that but I suppose it makes sense as Economics is a huge topic in current Irish life..
    I'm doing it myself but I have a 17 months so I have loads of time!

Hey i'm back and just looking for one last piece of advice. I started Economics on Monday and have so far done chapter 1 & 2 (Introduction to Economics and Utility)
    I have learnt the following
    CHAPTER 1
    1. What is Economics?
    2. What is a social science
    3. What is an Economics system
    4. What is opprotunity cost
    5. What is a free market/centrally planned/mixed Economic system

Chapter 2
    1. What is utility/total utility/marginal utility
    2. Marginal Utility formula
    3. Underlying Consumer Behaviour Traits
    4. Economic Goods
    5. Law of Diminshing Marginal Utility
    6. Law and Formula for Law of equi marginal returns (of consumer behaviour)
    7. Assumptions underlying LDMU

Is that all that has to be covered from these two chapters or is there info missing?. I'm working solely from Rapid Revision Economics.. Thanks! Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Hey i'm back and just looking for one last piece of advice. I started Economics on Monday and have so far done chapter 1 & 2 (Introduction to Economics and Utility)
    I have learnt the following
    CHAPTER 1
    1. What is Economics?
    2. What is a social science
    3. What is an Economics system
    4. What is opprotunity cost
    5. What is a free market/centrally planned/mixed Economic system

Chapter 2
    1. What is utility/total utility/marginal utility
    2. Marginal Utility formula
    3. Underlying Consumer Behaviour Traits
    4. Economic Goods
    5. Law of Diminshing Marginal Utility
    6. Law and Formula for Law of equi marginal returns (of consumer behaviour)
    7. Assumptions underlying LDMU

Is that all that has to be covered from these two chapters or is there info missing?. I'm working solely from Rapid Revision Economics.. Thanks! Any help appreciated.

That looks alright to me. Those chapters only ever come up as short questions and they're the basis for much terminology that comes up in later chapters. I say move on and come back to those chapters if you feel you've missed anything.

Ok thanks! I'm thinking I might do Supply and Demand and maybe Elasticity this week. Or should I do Supply and Demand and a Macro chapter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Ok thanks! I'm thinking I might do Supply and Demand and maybe Elasticity this week. Or should I do Supply and Demand and a Macro chapter?

Supply & Demand comes up alot as a whole question & can be hard to get your head around as they're the first real group of diagrams to learn, might be best to just do supply & demand this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fifi17123

definatly not! im doing economics im in 6th year if you learn the micro economics really well and learn all the definations you'l pass, the macro is more or less about the current state of the nation and you have options of questions on the paper you have loads of time i took up music the start of 6th year and im finding it grand. start it now and if you're finding it hard work on it over summer and get a grinds teacher. you said you're doing business i don't do it but i heard a few parts over lap. ud have to go into a bit more detail than the revision books you could prob get a c or b with them its a good place to start though!

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Supply & Demand comes up alot as a whole question & can be hard to get your head around as they're the first real group of diagrams to learn, might be best to just do supply & demand this week!
    Thanks!. Yeah i've looked through the chapter in Rapid Revision and it doesn't actually look too challenging. I think I might do Supply and Demand and Population in the Macro Economics Section. I want to do some Macrro as I want to have an even balance in the division of the two sections. Population overlaps quite a lot with the Human elective in Geography so I don't think it will be too big of a push to get that done with Supply and Demand. So far it's going good though I have to say I like it!. I have 10% of the course done, I know it's only the easy chapters but I feel good to say i've done 10% of a Leaving Cert. Higher Level course in one week! Ha :P I'm a freak! Anyways any other tips and or advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NotYetKatie

Yes, Economics is perhaps the easiest subject I do, you can catch up in no time and easily get that B, if you put enough work in :).

• Advertisement

Yes, Economics is perhaps the easiest subject I do, you can catch up in no time and easily get that B, if you put enough work in :).
    Thanks! Is Rapid Revision Economics deatiled enough to get me that B?. I hope to have 4/20 chapters done at the end of the week. I want to get through the course by the end of the summer so I have the whole year to constantly do exam papers over and over again as I think this is the best way to achieve the highest possible grade. Are Economics papers repetive in the questions asked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NotYetKatie

Thanks! Is Rapid Revision Economics deatiled enough to get me that B?. I hope to have 4/20 chapters done at the end of the week. I want to get through the course by the end of the summer so I have the whole year to constantly do exam papers over and over again as I think this is the best way to achieve the highest possible grade. Are Economics papers repetive in the questions asked?

I'm not quiet sure about Rapid Revision, but our teacher gave us all our notes through Revise Wise, either way I'd say it is. If you put the work in, you could have the course finished by the end of the summer and the exam papers aren't too repetitive but the questions asked each year are usually relevant to "today's" Economy.

Advertisement