Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which airline to fly from Dublin to Sydney with?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey

I was looking for some advice about which airline to fly to sydney with next march? I am traveling by myself and would like to avoid the hassle of having a lot of changes. I was looking at Emirates and Malaysia airlines, both look good but ther is a difference of about 200 euro in the flights.

Anybody have any suggestions or feedback which would help me decide?

Thank you

Elley

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Etihad are the most direct as only one stop over
    they also have a sale on
    http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/Etihad/ie/en/home/Pages/sales.aspx
    Dublin Sydney EUR 1152
    01 Jan 11-25 Jun 11 & 16 Aug 11-17 Dec 11

I have flown 3 times, never a hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Second vote for Etihad - have flown with Qantas and Virgin in the past, and found Etihad are better. Mind you I've only ever done it in business or first class - so not sure what economy is like.

There was an article in the Irishtimes or Indo lately about the guys who prepare the food for the airlines, and he was saying that Etihads economy food is as good, if not better, that most other airlines business class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Etihad frequent flyer here - haven't used any airline but I have no reason to switch - cheap, good customer service and as direct as you can get. I've also heard good things about Singapore but never used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭vill@in

Haha I saw the title and thought I'd add my two cents worth but it seems I was beaten to it!

Have done it one - with Etihad via Abu Dhabi. No major complaints- service was pretty good. I had a couple of long (12 + 14 hour) stopovers in that airport which isn't the best, but otherwise fine.

Will be flying with Malayasian Air in the New Year... Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I've flown with Etihad as well..no complaints and very good service. The food is very good too for airplane food. The staff are very friendly and make that extra effort, from what I've seen..very helpful to people with young kids etc. Inflight entertainment has good choice of recent releases. The stopover in Abu Dhabi is only a few hours...v handy when you just want to get there. Haven't flown with anyone else. They used to be lax with the baggage weight but are tighter now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Etihad here too, never flown with them meself but friends give them the thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 elley29

Thanks for the tips I'm kinda swaying towards Ethiad. Just that Malaysian soo cheap. But I prefer comfort for such a distance on my own..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

See my comments regarding Etihad Vs Singapore here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69647283&postcount=28

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I normally fly with singapore - aer lingus to heathrow then onto singapore and melbourne. Even with the recent issues with the a380 it is my perferred aircraft. It is just so quiet, even if it does seem like it is never going to get off the ground. The SQ in flight entertainment is also fantastic and Changi is the best airport to kill a few hours.

I flew with malaysian back in 2005 and they were fine. The onky thing i didn't like was that the stop over in KL was at some hideous hour of the morning and the terminal was so muggy and humid. I have never noticed that problem at changi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 crascred

Had booked Ethihad to South Africa 18 months ago, there was a problem and the plane couldn't take off. Once the travel agents had got on to them they were excellent in re routing me with Luftansa through Frankfurt and on to Joberg. Flight back was grand and there were loads getting a connection in Abu Dhabi from Sydney to Dublin.

Having done Dublin London Bangkok Sydney mostly with Qantas Id certainly like the idea of one stop over and it is handy assuming you dont want to stopover in SE Asia.

Safe Journey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

One thing to note, if it isn't the case already, Virgin Australia will be doiing the Abu Dhabi <-> Sydney leg for Etihad soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Flown with Singapore airlines a few times now and have to say they are brilliant. One example coming from Jakarta to London, I get on the plane and there is two rows at the back empty, I asked the really hot looking stewardess can I move nback there as Im tired and need sleep. She says wait til the aircraft is in the air Mr......... Just before the plane levels off she comes over to me and guides me to the second last row and tells me lie down. I do, she then comes over two minutes later with two blankets and two cushions for my head and tucks me in, I kid you not.

Had the dinner and dessert, yummy affair, expect good food with Singapore Airlines. I conk out for 4/5 hrs, upon awaking I sit up rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, when I open them the air hostess is in front of me smiling, Im sorry Mr......., I didn't want to wake you but, when you were asleep we gave out some Ice cream, would you like some, uh...yes please, gets me a magnum ice-cream, and a glass of beverage, no alcohol for me on long flights.

With Singapore Air, expect them to know your name, address you with a smile, friendly and courteous. They will do everything in their power to help you have a comfortable flight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Yeah but you are paying Singapore at least an extra €300 for these extras, Singapore are one of the most expensive airlines in the world, I don't know how they get any business tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 delboi101

padma wrote: »
    Flown with Singapore airlines a few times now and have to say they are brilliant. One example coming from Jakarta to London, I get on the plane and there is two rows at the back empty, I asked the really hot looking stewardess can I move nback there as Im tired and need sleep. She says wait til the aircraft is in the air Mr......... Just before the plane levels off she comes over to me and guides me to the second last row and tells me lie down. I do, she then comes over two minutes later with two blankets and two cushions for my head and tucks me in, I kid you not.

Had the dinner and dessert, yummy affair, expect good food with Singapore Airlines. I conk out for 4/5 hrs, upon awaking I sit up rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, when I open them the air hostess is in front of me smiling, Im sorry Mr......., I didn't want to wake you but, when you were asleep we gave out some Ice cream, would you like some, uh...yes please, gets me a magnum ice-cream, and a glass of beverage, no alcohol for me on long flights.

With Singapore Air, expect them to know your name, address you with a smile, friendly and courteous. They will do everything in their power to help you have a comfortable flight.

I fully agree. The service with SA is top class. Its like a flying hotel. Right fair enough, its a bit more expensive than the rest but for the service and comfort (not to mention the 300 or so movies and tv shows you can watch) its a small price to pay on a ten hour flight. Best airline Ive ever flown with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Another vote for Etihad - I posted up a similar thread a few months ago.
    Also, a friend of mine paid GBP417 pounds sterling for 9 KILOS of excess baggage with Malayasian Airways last week, one way via Kuala Lumpur. This same friend also had to spend a week in London stuck trying to get to Dublin during the recent snow.
    A different friend who flew in from Sydney over the Christmas flew straight to Dublin, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I'm flying with singapore in 2weeks and have flown with them twice before. like padma says the service is hard to beat and you get great food.

When I priced flights they were about 100 more expensive than the rest, however I wanted to fly on the A380 for the experience eeekk :confused: also some airlines charge for changing flights in economy and singpaore don't.

looking forward to my trip with them now shortly :D

heard malaysian airlines are very good as well, usually a bit cheaper than singapore

Advertisement