Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our water pipe is frozen! any good idea?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

We just came back from another city and found our water pipe is frozen!

The plumber told me 'he could do nothing about it ' and suggested we use water in the tank only when it's very necessary(brush teeth...) He also said all we could do is to wait for the sunshine...

Now we have to borrow water from our neighbor:eek:

Any idea? Thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Which pipe is frozen?
    Can you get a hair drier out to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Melt snow in a bucket and use it for the toilet cistern.

Open the cold water tap in the kitchen.
    Attach the hose from a wallpaper steamer/stripper to the tap and turn it on.
    The steam will heat up the pipes, and depending on the location/distance of the blockage, might unfreeze the pipes.
    This worked for me in January, but didn't work this time around (No water supply for 3 days now).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 2blonde1988

My parents ones froze last year,theirs are underground and they put hot ashes or the fires next day ashes on the area.it seemed to work,they had no water for a week before thinking of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

We live in the 2nd floor(apt) of a building in Tyrrelstown.

I didn't find where is outside the pipe, i don't know which part of the pipe is frozen as well.

The plumber told me that every family have a seperate pipe system,that's why our neighbour has the water. He also told me some families are facing the same problem.

==b

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Have you an attic above you where the pipes are? Open the trapdoor to let the heat in - nowadays with the insulation the heat can't travel through to the attic and pipes there freeze....

Good Luck :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Ours is gone too .. Maybe it has been shut off. Clonee area btw

what2do,yes,there is an attic of the whole building,is there the pipe? The door is out of our door,we couldnt get there as we dont have the ladder,and it's very high!

maybe we won't have the water during the whole christmas ...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Are you sure it's frozen? The water is off tonight in Blanch and surrounding areas. 9pm to 9am I believe.

From Fingal County Council website -
    Wed 22nd Dec - Clonsilla, Clonee, Castaheany, Huntstown, Hansfield,Ongar,Mulhuddart, Blanchardstown, Barnhill, Westmanstown

no water for 3 days...:(

Advertisement