Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi in Newbridge, traffic problem?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Aldi have bought the overflow carpark from the Keadeen hotel and have planning permission in for a new store there. This will cause major traffic problems (as I they are not bad enough already!).

I believe they are running a new entrance to the hotel from before the Maxol where McIntyre is digging.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I felt that the new Tescos in Naas would make the traffic problems on the Monread Rd and around Sallins far worse but to be honest it really hasnt. If its designed properly it might not be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Monread road never had the same traffic levels to start with that Newbridge does. Takes anything up to 20 mins to get into newbridge at most times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I don't think it will have much effect on the traffic at all.

It is only at school times etc were that road gets congested.

I use it everyday myself but i am avoiding it at the moment as you cannot even turn on to it almost any time of the day with the Christmas rush.

Is it getting it's own or taking over the traffic light sequence there at the Maxol for it's shop?

Maybe thrown in another roundabout and have it resemble the Monread road in Naas eventually :pac:

When is the new shop due for opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

niallam wrote: »
    Monread road never had the same traffic levels to start with that Newbridge does. Takes anything up to 20 mins to get into newbridge at most times of the day.

To be fair at times the Monread Road can be as bad if not much worse than that road into Newbridge. Its not uncommon for their to be a line of traffic pretty much from one end to the other, and certainly going half - two thirds the way down. I thought Tescos would just jam the whole thing up to a complete standstill but to be fair to them they seem to have designed it well enough that its not having too much of an effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I don't think a aldi store copuld cause any sort fo traffic problem - maybe the op works for a competitor.

The average shopper in aldi spends less than 20 minutes in the store and the average number of car park spaces needed for an aldi store is about 120.

Maybe if you could show where in the country an aldi store has caused any trafic problems whatsoever, you'd have an argument, but otherwise, think of another reason to oppose a good value store coming to the area.

The opened in kildare town last week - ZERO traffic delays, in Naas, they cause ZERO traffic delays, In clondalkin they cause ZERO traffic delays, etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

@91011 I'm not opposed to the store at all, actually I welcome it. I'm mearly wondering what peoples views are on it. They previously applied for planning permission in Newbridge at Langton Cross and were turned down due to traffic considerations. The whitewater was built with the promise of a traffic plan being implemented, it wasn't.

The road they are building on is a very busy road after 4pm everyday and very very busy all weekend. It will be interesting to see the traffic plan they submit.

As regards the opening schedule, if they get pemission by March it would be open by September at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I thought previous location was opposite Dunnes in Finlays car park - this would have caused traffic problems as there are simply too many entrances & roads in the that part of town.

At the keadeen, there's little other entrances except for the maxol garage, so there won't be competing traffic hazards.

Also, with an aldi in naas & now one in Kildare, it won't be attracting "new" traffic to the area and as such will be targeting local shoppers and won't add to the traffic problems in the town.

Advertisement