Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

silencers

Options
  • 22-12-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

just a few questions on silencers:

- do i need to apply for a silencer for both my rifles or if i get approved for one can i use it on both rifles?

-does a silencer effect accuracy?

-are all silencers made to fit all rifles or do i need to buy a specfic one for my type of rifle?

-is hearing protection a good enough reason for wanting one?{in the eyes of the law that is:rolleyes:}

tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

You need to apply for a silencer on any rifle you wish to use a silencer on. The permission to use one will be specific to the gun you apply for, so if you have two rifles and you're granted permission to use it on rifle A, you cannot use it on rifle B. If you apply and get permission for both, you can get a mod for both or use one between the two.

A moderator can enhance accuracy, I've yet to hear of a properly threaded rifle using a mod giving worse accuracy.

You will get a specific type of thread put on your rifle barrel. Your gunsmith will advise you what it is, or if it's factory threaded your dealer will be able to tell you. Then you need to buy a moderator which will fit that threading.

I doubt it. But if you get a hearing test done and it's found your hearing has been damaged by loud noises that may help. Common reasons are to avoid noise pollution and disturbance, to better hear what's going on in the immediate environment around you, to not spook livestock or quarry species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

johngalway wrote: »
    You need to apply for a silencer on any rifle you wish to use a silencer on. The permission to use one will be specific to the gun you apply for, so if you have two rifles and you're granted permission to use it on rifle A, you cannot use it on rifle B. If you apply and get permission for both, you can get a mod for both or use one between the two.

A moderator can enhance accuracy, I've yet to hear of a properly threaded rifle using a mod giving worse accuracy.

You will get a specific type of thread put on your rifle barrel. Your gunsmith will advise you what it is, or if it's factory threaded your dealer will be able to tell you. Then you need to buy a moderator which will fit that threading.

I doubt it. But if you get a hearing test done and it's found your hearing has been damaged by loud noises that may help. Common reasons are to avoid noise pollution and disturbance, to better hear what's going on in the immediate environment around you, to not spook livestock or quarry species.

+
    All threads are either Metric or Imperial.
    Generally a gunsmith can supply you with both options.

** skinny Barrelled rifles may require an adaptor to fit large moderators.

These can be bought or custom made.
    If you go lamping I'd recommend a low profile mod so not to catch the light.

Last point, if you like shooting without a mod, you'll love shooting with one on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

tommyboy26 wrote: »

- do i need to apply for a silencer for both my rifles or if i get approved for one can i use it on both rifles?

-are all silencers made to fit all rifles or do i need to buy a specfic one for my type of rifle?

-is hearing protection a good enough reason for wanting one?{in the eyes of the law that is:rolleyes:}
    tommy

In a word NO it not a reason. My Super told me if that was a problem then stop shooting, not the answer that I was looking for.

Try some of this for reason for use (not all true of course):
    • Health and Safety. To prevent hearing damage to me and others nearby.
      To be aware of what and who is around me when hunting in the ‘field’ and to be able to hear people giving me instructions and warnings. Hearing protection is not an option under these conditions.

• Improved accuracy of bullet placement on animals and thereby given a humane kill. This is one proven enhancement of using a sound suppressor.

• Public Safety and Peace. To reduce the noise pollution to the public if and when they are within hearing of shots being fired. I have shooting permissions on lands where this can happen. On occasion the night shooting of vermin is needed and again the use of a sound suppressor will reduce the noise pollution to the public.

• I have permissions to shoot on lands for the control of vermin where horses are kept and at time in foal and also other livestock. The sounds of shooting will stampede the horses and a sound suppressor is required on these occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭andrew cross

tommyboy26 wrote: »

tommy
    hi i have a question, using a silencer can i use same .22 ammo thanks

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Don't use rat shot ;)

But any other ammo would be fine. Best results will be with subsonics.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Kieron854

eu health and safty law says that a tool (rifel) used in a wookplace (farm,range,forrest) must have the noise moderated at source where practible, i.e. the use of hearing protection is not enough as someone else might not know you are about to operate the tool and not have hearing protection on .this does apply here but i tried it with super and got nowhere but ther you go.

Kieron854 wrote: »
    eu health and safty law says that a tool (rifel) used in a wookplace (farm,range,forrest) must have the noise moderated at source where practible, i.e. the use of hearing protection is not enough as someone else might not know you are about to operate the tool and not have hearing protection on .this does apply here but i tried it with super and got nowhere but ther you go.

And thats a very good reason when you need the rifle for your work ie a ranger but not for your leasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Question

Can a farmer (who works his own land) ask for a moderator for hearing protection under said rule ?

The reason i say this is the HSA can inspect a Farm/Workplace ; and close it down if it deems so fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Kieron854

the land owner/buisness operator is responsible for the health and safty of the premisis weather your there for busness or pleasure is irrelavent if your rifel discharge causes dammage to anybodys hearing on the permisis he is responisibe so a letter from a farmer demanding a mod to be allowed shoot should suffice on health and safty grounds but you bringing up a problem that they may not be aware of in an already problematic situation for the farmer

• Advertisement
Advertisement