Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Quest 6 heading to the West

Options
  • 22-12-2010 11:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Thank god it is. It's the last game in the series to not be translated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've been avoiding getting into Dragon Quest for a while now, I know it'd be the end of me. I'm seeing IX at very reasonable prices of late though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My advice is to get into it. A far superior series to Final Fantasy. There's a good reason it's the biggest series in japan. It's superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Any exact release date yet? Wiki said "TBA". I don't know if it's better than FF as a series, but it's certainly more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Thank god, though I hear it's quite a different beast to 4 and 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My advice is to get into it. A far superior series to Final Fantasy. There's a good reason it's the biggest series in japan. It's superb.

I actually cannot wait for DQ:VI to arrive on our shores, the DQ series is great. That said, there's a few weak spin off titles I'm not keen on.

Same can be applied to the Final Fantasy series (spin offs). Although nothing (personal choice) will top the sight, spectacle and sheer majesty of Final Fantasy 6 (SNES) or Final Fantasy 7 (PS).

I'd go so far as to stick my neck out and say Final Fantasy 6 is the greatest JRPG ever made. Closely, very, very closely by Final Fantasy 7 and The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.

After that it gets very tough to choose. With a gun held to my head I'd choose my JRPG's in this order:
    1. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
    2. Final Fantasy VII (PS)
    3. The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES)
    4. Mother 2 (SNES)
    5. Mother 3 (GBA)
    6. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
    7. Dragon Quest V (SNES)
    8. The Secret Of Mana (SNES)
    9. Kingdom Hearts 870,034.2765/4² Days (To The Nearest Decimal Point) (NDS)
    10. Star Ocean (SNES)

Honourable mentions:

Front Mission, Breath Of Fire, Tales Of Phantasia and (not JRPG but I don't care) Shadowrun.

Sorry for straying OT some what. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No Terranigma? For shame. Still think Dragon Quest VIII is light years ahead of anything else in the series - the second best JRPG of the last gen behind Rogue Galaxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

No Terranigma? For shame. Still think Dragon Quest VIII is light years ahead of anything else in the series - the second best JRPG of the last gen behind Rogue Galaxy.

You know I actually had that game for SNES years ago (Terranigma) but never actually got round to devoting any proper time to it hence it's not in my top 10.

Noticed I only listed 9 titles so going to add my 10th now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Woo, between this and P3P coming to europe, I am extremely happy.

EDIT:

My top 8 rpgs (that I've played):

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (PS2)
    Final Fantasy V (GBA)
    Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
    Star Ocean: First Departure (PSP)
    Chrono Trigger (DS)
    Pokemon Platinum (DS)
    Dragon Quest: The Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)
    The World Ends With You (DS)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Is Dragon Quest: The Journey Of The Cursed King the only non-handheld console game released outside japan?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

carbonkid wrote: »
    Is Dragon Quest: The Journey Of The Cursed King the only non-handheld console game released outside japan?

No. Dragon Quest 1-4 on the NES got released in America and Dragon Quest VII also came out in america for the PS1 under the Dragon Warrior name. DQ 8 was the first game released in Europe although I'm not sure but the GBC remakes might have made it here as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Think i need to give dragon quest ago...ive a feeling it'll be even better than a FF game. Is DQVIII a good one to start with? Im not that big into handheld games.

carbonkid wrote: »
    Think i need to give dragon quest ago...ive a feeling it'll be even better than a FF game. Is DQVIII a good one to start with? Im not that big into handheld games.

Dragon Quest 8 is absolutely amazing. Give it a chance because it's old school and starts off slow but once you get out of the first town and start gaining abilities it gets way better. Word of advice, you can't master all weapons so stick with one and have one as secondary if you must, I secondaried the boomerang for the main character.

Advertisement