If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Stations Not Showing On Philips PFL Sets

Options
  • 22-12-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi There, A number of Philips owners have some real concerns of late as being discussed over here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056123899

To Clarify:

A. In Ireland mode, television tunes all the (17) available services, but without names or ordered channel numbers and no MHEG5 Digital text.

B. In Uk Mode, televisions tune the 7 television channels correctly named and ordered with full MHEG5 Digital text but no radio stations appear.

C. This leads to the conclusion that the set IS fully capable of receiving Saorview but it will require a software update to match the Standards To The Ireland Setting.However, Philips seem to be of the opinion that there is no service here only tests and do not seem interested in discussing any software update until such time as there is an Official Saorview Service launched.

Is there anyway you could get us some additional information as to when and if there are plans to address this by Philips, given that:

1. The minimum specs for Saorview are and have been in the public domain for sometime now.

2. The large amount of these sets which have been sold by not alone The Philips Shop, but also several other retailers.

I apologise for jumping in here, as I did not purchase either of my sets from yourselves, but if you could use your influence with Philips technical department regarding our concerns we might have a better idea as to where we are going with a future software update, and indeed allay fears that are growing about the future compatability of these sets.

Thanking You In Advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Hi,

Please see the notice at the top of the forum about delays - here's a link:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056126555.

I dare say that John or Ash from the Philips Shop will be along to have a look at your query, but please bear in mind that this is a commercial forum - see the Charter here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564744 for details.

@all,

Please leave this thread clear for response from RS or The Philips Shop - if you wish to discuss Saorview etc, please feel free to visit the Terrestial TV discussion forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56 where the topic is under active discussion.

Cheers,

Ritz

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

As per
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056126824

The moderator has asked that no-one post anything in that thread. Respectively agreeing to that, this post just as a bump. Thread is two weeks old or more, obviously silly season but even something just to say that we're chasing Philips on it....

I have a list of issues with a Philips PFL8404 that I'd like to address to Philips - is there a phone no / contact email where they can be contacted? Mostly love the TV - just some niggles that still niggle 8 months on....

-ZB

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@zaphodbeeb,

I've merged your new thread with the original query, which seems to have fallen under the radar, understandable given the time of the year. My request to leave the thread for answer by the guys here was to avoid it becoming a discussion which belongs elsewhere.

Just for info, Ash from the Philips Shop did post on the thread on the Terrestial forum quoted by the OP in the original query, see his response here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056123899&page=2 , Post 58, as follows:

Hi Folks

Strange this..

I have just check out a few of our TV's in store -

a 26PFL3405H tune in yesterday and i get the RTE radio stations and can check the EPG for them as well,

a 42PFL5405H same as above (tuned in last month)

and finally a 46PFL8605H all RTE radio stations present and correct.

As its Silly Season, sorry, Christmas time, Philips HQ have shut down so it will be the New Year before we can chase this up for you.

It maybe TV model or indeed location specific.

Sorry not of more help folks.

Happy Christmas
    Ash

I'm sure Ash will return to this query when time allows.

On the issue of contact information, if you navigate to Philips support page for your model of TV - this http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=42PFL8404H/12&slg=en&scy=IE for instance for a 42PFL8404 - there is an option on the top right hand side of the screen to Live Chat with Philips Customer Support, as well as phone and email contact details.

@all,

I would re-iterate my general request that this thread be left for RS/The Philips Shop to deal with, plenty of scope for discussion about related matters on the Terrestial Forum.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Folks

Yes we are aware of this issue and both John and I have pointed it put to the Philips folks in Ireland.

John sent a very detailed email discussing this to Philips prior to Christmas and it has been bumped across to the technical dept I believe.

I was also discussing this issue with the chap that looks after the Service side in Philips Ireland at lenght and passed on this info so something seems to be happening.

I have no fear that in time there will be a firmware update that resolves this issue in full.

When we hear about it we will post up.

Thanks for your patience folks

atb
    Ash

Hi Zaphodbeeb

Sorry for overlooking your post:o

Just tried to reach you on the phone number I have - no joy.

Could you pm me a mobile number and i'll give you a buzz for a chat re your
    PFL8404

Cheers
    Ash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

on the original issue. PM'ing Ashley on other queries.

HI Zaph'

will look at 'em and respond

Cheers
    Ash

Hi Folks

A little news to everyone re the RTE Radio stations on Philips TV's

Philips tech department are 100% aware of this issue and have planned a meeting with the tech side of RTE with view to getting the issue resolved.

I will post up once I have news to report back.

hang in there folks:)

Atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

I'm digging up very very old thread but I have philips 47PFL8404 telly and I tried to use it for [font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Saroview.[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Since I was unable to setup any channel I checked with philips support and here goes what they told me:[/font]

Frank: I double checked that - your TV is DVB-T.
    Frank: Yet the signal that is broadcasted is DVB-T2
    Tom: so it isn't compatibile
    Frank: And for this reason you will experience trouble with receiving some if not all chennels.
    Tom: ok - good to know
    Frank: Unfortuantely it is no longer compatible with the new signal - but there is a simple solution on how to solve this isue.
    Tom: external box ?
    Frank: I suggest supplying yourself with a digital box - not from a particular supplier but one that you can by from any electronic shop. The important thing is that it must be able to handle DVB-T2.
    Frank: They are fairly inexpensive and will do the job.
    Tom: ok

So for all users of **PFL8404 - You need to buy external box.

I searched boards up and down but unable to find similar thread already.

Tom

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

I'm digging up very very old thread but I have philips 47PFL8404 telly and I tried to use it for Saroview.
    Since I was unable to setup any channel I checked with philips support and here goes what they told me:

Frank: I double checked that - your TV is DVB-T.
    Frank: Yet the signal that is broadcasted is DVB-T2
    Tom: so it isn't compatibile
    Frank: And for this reason you will experience trouble with receiving some if not all chennels.
    Tom: ok - good to know
    Frank: Unfortuantely it is no longer compatible with the new signal - but there is a simple solution on how to solve this isue.
    Tom: external box ?
    Frank: I suggest supplying yourself with a digital box - not from a particular supplier but one that you can by from any electronic shop. The important thing is that it must be able to handle DVB-T2.
    Frank: They are fairly inexpensive and will do the job.
    Tom: ok

So for all users of **PFL8404 - You need to buy external box.

I searched boards up and down but unable to find similar thread already.

Tom
    Tom,

I'm not 100% sure why you are posting this here?

If you purchased an 8404 from us it will be capable of receiving Saorview as all the 8404's we sold were 'H' designation which means that they are capable of receiving Saorview - however as they were initially released prior to the commencement of the Saorview certification process they were not Saorview certified.

Please feel free to PM me if you have a specific issue but perhaps its a little unfair to just quote Philips support on a 'Talk to' forum without having contacted us in the first instance to give us an opportunity to address the problem..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Mod Comment:

@somebody_else,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum, it's the post stickied at the top of the list of threads for the forum - we do not welcome the pointless resurrection of old threads, and the forum is specifically for queries to Richersounds, not general information/your opinion etc - see earlier comment from me on this thread, there's ample opportunity for discussion on the Terrestial TV forum or the Home Entertainment Forums.

If you have a query for Richersounds as mentioned by John above, feel free to open a new thread.

I'm closing  this thread.

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.