Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check ESB timer signal

Options
  • 23-12-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Like many people before me on this forum I have storage heaters and I have problems :)
    I took a look in the distribution board/breaker box in our apartment a few days to try and understand how exactly our storage heating works.
    Thanks to bunch of previous posts here I was able to figure things out, and fix the wiring on badly installed devireg 710-2.
    So now everything looks right, but the devireg does not kick in at night, and so the contactor controlling the heaters does not come on.

Some things I've already checked:

1. The contactor does work if I apply voltage to it directly.
    2. The heaters come on fine if I set the contactor to always on.
    3. The outdoor thermistor gives reasonable readings per the spec sheet.
    4. Setting the day dial to constant and the night dial to +4 doesn't help, even after 11pm (day light stays green, night light stays red).
    5. I shorted terminal 4 and 6 for testing per the spec sheet, and both lights went red as they should.
    6. I just checked the voltage to contact 2 on the devireg which is supposed to be the ESB timing control, and it's 0. Since it's past 11pm, and I know the ESB clock to the building has the correct time (checked earlier today), this should be live right?

So basically I'm left wondering about the ESB timing signal. It's a brown wire that just disappears into the wall and I have no idea how to check it, or even check if it's the correct wire (given the mess the original installer made). Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Actually, it might be the devireg after all.
    I just checked the timing signal wire connected to terminal 2 on the devireg, and unconnected.
    Unconnected it reads live, connected it reads ground. So a short in the devireg.
    I'll double check tomorrow when I've had some sleep, but looks like I need to buy a new unit :( Anyone know where I can get one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you can search here-there's been plenty of similar questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Would be interested to know did you resolve problem with new Devi Reg. There should be a 6amp MCB on board with a single brown which feeds ESB timeclock and then a single brown from timeclock which feeds terminal 4 on Devi reg. No 4 and No 2 are connected together. No 1 is then connected to the contactor.
    Will you post outcome. Thanks

JOHNPT wrote: »
    Would be interested to know did you resolve problem with new Devi Reg. There should be a 6amp MCB on board with a single brown which feeds ESB timeclock and then a single brown from timeclock which feeds terminal 4 on Devi reg. No 4 and No 2 are connected together. No 1 is then connected to the contactor.
    Will you post outcome. Thanks
    I'll be sure to update when I get the new unit.
    As for the 6amp MCB on the board, there isn't one. There's single brown that comes from the wall behind the board, but I have no idea where it originates.
    When you buy a house/apartment they should come with full plumbing and wiring schematics :)

Maybe they used a 10 amp - as far as i know there should be a signal wire from fuseboard to timeclock and a signal wire back.

• Advertisement

New devireg fixed things, hurray, no more fiddling with storage heaters every day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tomtomsto

I have the very same issue: the green light never turns red, so the Devi reg never triggers the contactors.

I would be very interested to know where you bought a 710 replacement from, as it is impossible to find anywhere since discontinued.

It may not be a problem with Devi Reg it could be the ESB time clock which is not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tomtomsto

I think it is an issue with the Devireg, since I have also an electric boiler working during off-peak hours, and this is working fine, so the off-peak signal works.

The issue with the Devi 710 is that there are absolutely no like-for-like replacements on the market, either from Devi or other suppliers. It is not possible to find something else to put on an electric board, so some extensive re-wiring would be required to replace a broken 710, if a replacement cannot be bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you mean electric water heating?

that prob does it's own timing

there's a manual online for the devireg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gilligan

Hi Cian,

Can you provide the name of the place where you picked up the devi reg710-2? I have looked around and unable to get one...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 snnowwy

gilligan wrote: »
    Hi Cian,

Can you provide the name of the place where you picked up the devi reg710-2? I have looked around and unable to get one...thanks

BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 8 daveve

Has anyone replace a devi reg 710, If you did, can you let me know with what and is there any problems replacing it.

Advertisement