Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should there be a Transfer Window for managers?

• 23-12-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

just reading about rafa benitez..and the nonsense that went on with sam allardyce at blackburn..where's the sense in hiring a manager and 5-10 backroom staff..and sacking them 6 months later. is it time to introduce a transfer window for managers and backroom staff.

Transfer Window for Managers 28 votes

YES
    0%
    NO
    25%
    pickarooneyA Dub in GlasgoBeekaymicksNozebleedheffomike54Pauleta 7 votes
    HUH!?
    75%
    Kingp35Chardee MacDennisd22ontourtolosencredzerdrogYakultDozen Wicked WordsSK1979BERBAKess73L'profDeeper BlueDolph Starbeamtitan18nkay1985niallkDegagKiwi_knockDH2K9Pinturicchio 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope, while some mangers are binned for the wrong reasons or far too hastily, a genuinely bad one could have you down by Christmas so a board/CEO should have the freedom to fire as they see fit, even if its a harsh decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

NO
    mike65 wrote: »
    Nope, while some mangers are binned for the wrong reasons or far too hastily, a genuinely bad one could have you down by Christmas so a board/CEO should have the freedom to fire as they see fit, even if its a harsh decision.

yep i hear you...but what right does a club have to take a manager from another club who may be in a similar position...hovering above the relegation zone but good managment the only thing keeping them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

NO
    I voted Yes by accident. Im against it. Last year for the NFL season there was a coach called Jim Zorn, who basically had all his power stripped and had to stand on the sideline for about 5-6 games whilst the owner employed other coaches to make the plays. It was seriously embarrassing. The owner tried to embarrass him into quiting. The NFL doesnt have a situation where you cant sack coaches mid season but if that was the rule and it happened in football it would be farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

HUH!?
    It's an interesting suggestion but i think it could only exacerbate the problem that exists. What if a team are in a poor run of form with only 5 days to the end of the "manager transfer window?" A chairman then has to choose betwenn giving that manager 6 months to improve things or to find a new manager. I think most chairmen these days would choose the latter. Wouldn't work IMO.

There has to be better support for managers, but this isn't the answer i think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

NO
    I think there should be limits on when you can sign/fire managers OR you should be able to fire underperforming players whenever you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think there is certainly a case for not allowing managers to be poached in the middle of the season. I'm thinking Owen Coyle last year for example who imo was the difference between Burnley staying in the Premier League and being relegated.

His leaving when he did left that club in freefall. Had they been able to hold on to him until the season ended they they had time for a new manager to come in and set things up as he wanted.

I don't think you can stop clubs firing somebody but I don't think you should be allowed poach an employed one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭bobbyg

No they get compensated financially for being sacked early.

Advertisement