Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xavi on Mourinho

• 23-12-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Barcelona midfielder Xavi has taken an amazing swipe at Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho. Xavi says Mourinho will not be remembered in the history of the game because he isn't an innovator.

"I'm sure Mourinho is a great coach, but he will not enter the history of football. To go down in history you must do different things and he does not bring new things to the game," said Xavi.

"This is one thing that Pep Guardiola has done, he has redesigned football, as did Arrigo Sacchi, (Sir Alex) Ferguson and (Johan) Cruyff, who also have contributed something new.

"Mourinho wins, because he was with Chelsea and Inter Milan, and I'm sure he is a great coach, but he does not bring anything new."

Can't say I agree with that. I think if Mourinho retired today, he would be remembered as a great manager.

What does everyone think?
    Is Mourinho on the same level as the 4 that Xavi mentioned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

JM has went about 8 years without loosing a home league match (has he lost one yet, not sure about how he's doing in Spain?). It's doesn't matter who your managing, thats an incredible record.
    I've never been his biggest fan but he won't be forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thebullkf

if he wins the CL this year,and a league or two in spain,and other country he should rightly be regarded as the greatest ever.
    SAF is the most successful,but his record is tarneished somewhat with the amount of Skullduggery,unpleasentness,and bullying that he still persists in--take nothing away from him ,but true legends don't have sullied reputations- Pele,Bob Paisley to name but two.
    Nothing against flawed gehius's except their talent is somewhat equated with controversey...thats why Best,Gazza,Maradona will never be as good as or regarded as highly as people with equal,or more talent but with infinitely more class.

Mourinho's an arrogant swine,but humble and appreciative on reflection....SAF has no class..refusing to speak with BBC over his son's dodgey dealing's,bullying of anyone and everyone in the EPL- some call it great tactic's,i call it Classless.... Pyrrhic |Victory if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mourinho's record is second to none, he'll definitely be remembered as a great coach. It'll be very interesting to see how long he continues to produce the goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I'd have expected better from Xavi tbh.

ditto^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I'd have expected better from Xavi tbh.

Nah those Man City lads are dodgy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

#15 wrote: »
    Can't say I agree with that. I think if Mourinho retired today, he would be remembered as a great manager.

What does everyone think?
    Is Mourinho on the same level as the 4 that Xavi mentioned?

Jose commands respect and gets the best out of his squad

compared to say certain spaniard.

its not rocket science, he just seems to have an aura about him that where ever he goes, he is successful.

some people are ticked off by him but you cant deny that he is a good manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

thebullkf wrote: »
    if he wins the CL this year,and a league or two in spain,and other country he should rightly be regarded as the greatest ever.
    SAF is the most successful,but his record is tarneished somewhat with the amount of Skullduggery,unpleasentness,and bullying that he still persists in--take nothing away from him ,but true legends don't have sullied reputations- Pele,Bob Paisley to name but two.
    Nothing against flawed gehius's except their talent is somewhat equated with controversey...thats why Best,Gazza,Maradona will never be as good as or regarded as highly as people with equal,or more talent but with infinitely more class.

Mourinho's an arrogant swine,but humble and appreciative on reflection....SAF has no class..refusing to speak with BBC over his son's dodgey dealing's,bullying of anyone and everyone in the EPL- some call it great tactic's,i call it Classless.... Pyrrhic |Victory if you will.

I don't know where to start, but I want to start but I have to go to bed.:(:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It's just the old Barca-Real thing, I wouldn't take too much notice.

Xavi is a born and bred Catalan, so probably hates Real Madrid with a passion, as most Catalans would.

I'm guessing if Mourinho was Barca manager he'd be hailing him a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

aidan24326 wrote: »

Xavi is a born and bred Catalan, so probably hates Real Madrid with a passion, as most Catalans would.

It's more than that though since Mourinho worked at Barca years ago and that whole altercation last season when he knocked Barca out with Inter last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If this were the case then Arthur Rowe would be a legend outside of Tottenham for inventing push and run in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

I think it has to be said that he has not proven himself, He has managed the best teams in their respective countries, you put any have decent manager in charge of the teams he managed and they would have had similar success.

He did well at Porto winning the UEFA Cup but the Champions League was extremely lucky. Man Utd having a fair goal disallowed that would have knocked them out, getting Deportivo in the semi, which was 50/50 game and Monaco in the Final.

At Chelsea, who at the time had unlimited money and could buy anyone they wanted were always going to win the league that year regardless if Ranieri was still there.

At Inter, who had the league won for the last 3 years, they were lightyears ahead of the next best team in Italy. Again winning the CL was lucky, Barcelona were just unlucky on that day, you can say all you want about Inter defending heroically, but Barca had countless chances to qualify for the next stage but were uncharacteristically wasteful in front of goal. Bayern in final was hardly the hardest of opponents.

Now at Real, in a two team league, hammering the other teams, just says alot at the moment about the quality of the mid-table teams in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Xavi is talking shiit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

aidan24326 wrote: »

I doubt that and Jose will never be manager with his style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mourinho > Guardiola

What is it with Barcelona and commenting on other clubs recently? A stupid statement to make.

MRPRO03 wrote: »
    I think it has to be said that he has not proven himself, He has managed the best teams in their respective countries, you put any have decent manager in charge of the teams he managed and they would have had similar success.

He did well at Porto winning the UEFA Cup but the Champions League was extremely lucky. Man Utd having a fair goal disallowed that would have knocked them out, getting Deportivo in the semi, which was 50/50 game and Monaco in the Final.

At Chelsea, who at the time had unlimited money and could buy anyone they wanted were always going to win the league that year regardless if Ranieri was still there.

At Inter, who had the league won for the last 3 years, they were lightyears ahead of the next best team in Italy. Again winning the CL was lucky, Barcelona were just unlucky on that day, you can say all you want about Inter defending heroically, but Barca had countless chances to qualify for the next stage but were uncharacteristically wasteful in front of goal. Bayern in final was hardly the hardest of opponents.

Now at Real, in a two team league, hammering the other teams, just says alot at the moment about the quality of the mid-table teams in Spain.

rubbish...he made them the best.... luck???..... :rolleyes:....;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Again winning the CL was lucky, Barcelona were just unlucky on that day, you can say all you want about Inter defending heroically, but Barca had countless chances to qualify for the next stage but were uncharacteristically wasteful in front of goal.
    I call bull**** on that personally.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Mourinho > Guardiola

What is it with Barcelona and commenting on other clubs recently? A stupid statement to make.

Sick of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Mourinho > Guardiola

They have the right to, dont ya know they are more than a club

Rubbish. Inter provided a masterclass in defending a lead. They did what as necessary to go through. What would you have done? Commit players forward and got hammered on the counter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Mourinho > Guardiola

What other clubs have they been commenting on?

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    What other clubs have they been commenting on?

Messi saying Fabregas should move to Barcelona and also saying that Liverpool need to 'act humanely' and let Mascherano leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

you put any have decent manager in charge of the teams he managed and they would have had similar success.

Ah the Allardyce approach to management.

Messi saying Fabregas should move to Barcelona and also saying that Liverpool need to 'act humanely' and let Mascherano leave.

Oh, you mean these comments...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/473881-beware-sensationalist-football-stories-by-the-daily-star

Don't buy everything you read.

And this destroys any hope of Xavi (long shot, but might want a PL bagde) moving to Man Utd in the near future since it's inevitable that Mourinho will manage Utd :(

I can only find one website running this Xavi quote and they don't say where or to whom he supposedly said it. It's very suspicious considering Guardiola has ordered his players not to talk trash about Real or Mourinho as Mourinho thrives on that.

I'm calling bullshít on this one.

If the quote is real, Xavi still calls Mourinho a great coach. He just says he wll not go down in history in the true sense of it. Even if he does win the CL with Real Madrid he hasn't changed football, has he? He'll just be an outstanding statistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I think he is wrong anyway didn't mourinho popularise the 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation ?

I think he is wrong anyway didn't mourinho popularise the 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation ?

eh?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Winners are remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Its weird, I kind of agree with what Xavi said - the not changing football part, although if there's one manager I'd want at Spurs it'd be Mourinho. He will undoubtedly be remembered as one of the all time great coaches, already.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

Rubbish. Inter provided a masterclass in defending a lead. They did what as necessary to go through. What would you have done? Commit players forward and got hammered on the counter?

They lost the game, you do know that ?

Where was the ''Masterclass in Defending'' when they lost 5-0 to Barca with 11 players ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

They still got through and won the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bodhishopa wrote:
    I can only find one website running this Xavi quote and they don't say where or to whom he supposedly said it. It's very suspicious considering Guardiola has ordered his players not to talk trash about Real or Mourinho as Mourinho thrives on that.

I'm calling bullshít on this one.

Yeah I would share your scepticism as I think other sites would have picked up on this if he did indeed say it.

With regards Mourinho not being an innovator, that might well be true but I don't see where it says you need to reinvent the wheel in order to be regarded as a true great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Guardiola did beat Mourinho tactically recently don't forget, although I think that was more to do with mistakes from Jose than anything great from Pep it shows that Guardiola may have the upper hand but I doubt it will stay like that in the 2nd match they play which is pretty much a guaranteed Real win IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Guardiola letting Xavi act as his sh*t stirrer perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

JPA wrote: »
    eh?!

How many teams used that formation before his team at Chelsea ? I don't remember many .I'm not saying he made it up himself just that a lot of clubs have used it since he started playing that way

Where was the ''Masterclass in Defending'' when they lost 5-0 to Barca with 11 players ?

Lost the battle but won the war. Inter are remembered for winning the Champions League not losing to Barcelona twice at Camp Nou ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

L'prof wrote: »
    It's more than that though since Mourinho worked at Barca years ago and that whole altercation last season when he knocked Barca out with Inter last season.
    Trilla wrote: »
    Xavi is talking shiit
    Mourinho > Guardiola

Player at big club in mind games against the bigegst rival shocker! Fúcking hell.

I am sure if "scholesy/Stevie Me/JT26" said similar about Ancelotti/SAF/Wenger the Manyoo/Chelski/Pool boys would have their cocks out beating them ever so hard at how clever he is.

It is amazing the bitterness that exists in this forum.

How many teams used that formation before his team at Chelsea ? I don't remember many .I'm not saying he made it up himself just that a lot of clubs have used it since he started playing that way

Ajax have played that system since the 70s or before.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Player at big club in mind games against the bigegst rival shocker! Fúcking hell.

I am sure if "scholesy/Stevie Me/JT26" said similar about Ancelotti/SAF/Wenger the Manyoo/Chelski/Pool boys would have their cocks out beating them ever so hard at how clever he is.

It is amazing the bitterness that exists in this forum.

It's not bitterness, I just hate players doing this. I have never ever once liked any United player commenting on other clubs.

Whether it's Gary Neville dissing Liverpool, or Evra dismissing Arsenal, I didn't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Is there really uproar about this? Wtf like, Xavi makes a comment (obviously a false sh*t stirring one) about a manager who's entire coaching structure is based on psychological mind games, and now the statements only reinforce the fact that Barca and Xavi are the most evilest villains in the history of the game. :p Mission accomplished for Mr. Hernandez then I suppose. :p

eZe^ wrote: »
    Is there really uproar about this? Wtf like, Xavi makes a comment (obviously a false sh*t stirring one) about a manager who's entire coaching structure is based on psychological mind games, and now the statements only reinforce the fact that Barca and Xavi are the most evilest villains in the history of the game. :p Mission accomplished for Mr. Hernandez then I suppose. :p

OK, Ronaldo makes a statement that Guardiola is not special, you and gimmick are not allowed to comment :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Did people actually read what he says?

I completely agree with him in his context. Mourinho is a brilliant coach. But has he ''re-designed'' football ala Guardiola, Ferguson and Cruyff? Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

OK, Ronaldo makes a statement that Guardiola is not special, you and gimmick are not allowed to comment :p

Difference there is that I hate Ronaldo to begin with, so his statement would annoy the sh*t out of me. People here are jumping on a newly formed bandwagon of hate. I guarantee you next someone from Real Madrid will mention that Guardiola isn't a good manager, he just inherited a very special group of players. I'll await the uproar when that comes too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

eZe^ wrote: »

I think you mean Señor Hernandez :pac:

I'd be calling bs on this story too, nobody else is running the story. If it is true and that is what he meant to say which is very very unlikely then i would agree Xavi is talking bs.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Did people actually read what he says?

I completely agree with him in his context. Mourinho is a brilliant coach. But has he ''re-designed'' football ala Guardiola, Ferguson and Cruyff? Not a hope.

Mourinho is a mecenary who goes from league to league, winning. Portugal > England > Italy > Will eventually will something in Spain. Aiming for a treble of CL wins. It's something unique.

Mourinho is more special than Guardiola atm, could change in the future. Guardiola is not anywhere near the likes of Ferguson, Cryuff, in the future, he could surpass/level with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

People really havent a clue about football.Just reading through these post i think people are talking complete and utter BS!

Jose mourinho is a great manager because every side he has managed he has won either the domestic league or/and the champions league.
    Anyone who says he was lucky against barcelona last season is just talking out their A**,the man went on to win the CL ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Colinboy wrote: »
    People really havent a clue about football.Just reading through these post i think people are talking complete and utter BS!

Jose mourinho is a great manager because every side he has managed he has won either the domestic league or/and the champions league.
    Anyone who says he was lucky against barcelona last season is just talking out their A**,the man went on to win the CL ffs!

I guarantee you didn't even read the whole article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Xavi is such a great little footballer, but he's quite obviously talking out of his arse. Mourinho, albeit being a somewhat unlikable character in some people's eye, has already put himself in the position of greatness because of what he already acheived, and partially out of charisma.

• Advertisement
Advertisement