Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xavi on Mourinho

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I half agree with what he is saying. Jose will be remembered as a legend but none of his teams will I reckon because of his coaching style.
    orourkeda wrote: »
    Winners are remembered.

Anybody listen to Tim Vickery on Off The Ball on Monday? He is brilliant. Not only winners are remembered. In football it's not only what you do, it's how you do it.

Real football fans remember the Dutch team of 74 and 78 etc...

Despite Inter winning the CL alot of people believe Barca are the best team in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Xavi doesn't talk shit because he's a saint and makes 100000 passes in every game.

If we can attribute these quotes to somebody else, then I can come out and admit it's bollocks though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ush1 wrote: »
    Anybody listen to Tim Vickery on Off The Ball on Monday? He is brilliant. Not only winners are remembered. In football it's not only what you do, it's how you do it.

Real football fans remember the Dutch team of 74 and 78 etc...

Despite Inter winning the CL alot of people believe Barca are the best team in Europe.

Dead on. Hungary's Magical Magyars are much more fondly remembered by history than the West German side that beat them in the World Cup final. Mourinho is like Germany in a way - extremely effective but not exactly memorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Everbody relax, it's complete bullsh!t.

Did a search for the article, could only find one.

From TrialFootball.com.(http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/barcelona-star-xavi-amazing-swipe-real-madrid-coach-mourinho-1334721)

Enough said already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gimmick wrote: »
    Player at big club in mind games against the bigegst rival shocker! Fúcking hell.

I am sure if "scholesy/Stevie Me/JT26" said similar about Ancelotti/SAF/Wenger the Manyoo/Chelski/Pool boys would have their cocks out beating them ever so hard at how clever he is.

It is amazing the bitterness that exists in this forum.

Me, bitter??? Jesus wept, I think your defense mechanisms have gone into overdrive!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

While I also don't like the conservatism of JM teams sometimes, there does seem to be a sneaky Wenger-esque petulance about the need to 'play football' when you meet teams like Barcelona.

Very few teams can live with Barcelona playing them at their own game yet they - and their acolytes - seem to cry foul when teams play tight and refuse to let themselves get passed to death. The ways things are going, there will be a FIFA directive to stand still and let teams like Barca and Arsenal pass around you like training cones and win 10-0. It's got so bad, a small part of me was almost amused by the booting the Dutch gave the Spanish last summer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see, say, United, play football considering the resources at their disposal but you can hardly say that the best games are always flair vs flair or that winning, pragmatic teams like those of JM are automatically worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It seems Xavi has forgotten about Porto and what Mourinho did there.

Looks like Xavi hasn't got the brain to match his footballing talent.

Nobody's perfect I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

stovelid wrote: »
    While I also don't like the conservatism of JM teams sometimes, there does seem to be a sneaky Wenger-esque petulance about the need to 'play football' when you meet teams like Barcelona.

Very few teams can live with Barcelona playing them at their own game yet they - and their acolytes - seem to cry foul when teams play tight and refuse to let themselves get passed to death. The ways things are going, there will be a FIFA directive to stand still and let teams like Barca and Arsenal pass around you like training cones and win 10-0. It's got so bad, a small part of me was almost amused by the booting the Dutch gave the Spanish last summer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see, say, United, play football considering the resources at their disposal but you can hardly say that the best games are always flair vs flair or that winning, pragmatic teams like those of JM are automatically worse.

Coming from where?

If you mean on boards.ie, I think you'll find the anti-Barca petulance is the one in the ascendency!

Never did Guardiola once moan about Inters, or any other clubs tactics.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    It seems Xavi has forgotten about Porto and what Mourinho did there.

Nope, it seems either Xavi didn't say anything, or what he did say was taken out of context.

This is Trialfootball.com we're talkin about...c'mon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Everbody relax, it's complete bullsh!t.

Did a search for the article, could only find one.

From TrialFootball.com.(http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/barcelona-star-xavi-amazing-swipe-real-madrid-coach-mourinho-1334721)

Enough said already.

http://www.revistagq.com/videos/xavi-hernandez-en-exclusiva-para-gq/709

Tribal have translated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think he is wrong anyway didn't mourinho popularise the 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation ?

Caludio Ranieri was using it at Chelsea when Jose arrived, he just added one or two players and kept the same basic shape. Replaced Jasper Gronkjaer with Robben, later replaced Duff. Added Essien, etc. The team played in much the same way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

#15 wrote: »

I don't speak foreign, does he actually say what they quoted him as saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

There is a reason why he is the highest paid manager in the world and has been for most of his relatively short managerial career. Love him or loathe him but he is the best manager in the world today. Just look at what he has acheived in such a short space of time, no other manager has won as much in such a time-frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

MOG7 wrote: »
    I don't speak foreign, does he actually say what they quoted him as saying?

I don't speak Spanish either, so I'm relying on info from another forum. Apparently it's accurate, and Xavi was pretty humble throughout the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Warper wrote: »
    There is a reason why he is the highest paid manager in the world and has been for most of his relatively short managerial career. Love him or loathe him but he is the best manager in the world today. Just look at what he has acheived in such a short space of time, no other manager has won as much in such a time-frame.

Bob Paisley's will probably never be beaten.

In order:

BP
    SAF
    JM

"The times i had here wernt all great, we only finished 2nd one season...." the great bob paisley

thebullkf wrote: »
    Bob Paisley's will probably never be beaten.

In order:

BP
    SAF
    JM

"The times i had here wernt all great, we only finished 2nd one season...." the great bob paisley

GTFO, Fergie number 1 forever

Btw, Clough > Paisley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thebullkf

GTFO, Fergie number 1 forever

really??....if JM wins a double this year and a couple more league's alsewhere he'll be rightly regarded as the best ever.... its hard enough doing it in your comfort zone with the same spine of players for 5 years or more a la SAF,BP...but to do it with different teams,in different country's in the top footbaslling competition in the world.... most reasonable people would disagree with you.

Btw, Clough > Paisley

you're obviously a United fan... your bias is hardly showing at all....:rolleyes:

I reckon BP is better than SAF due to the short span ot time it took to accumulate such a haul of trophy's.... one i doubt will ever be beaten, based on his record,if he were to manage as long as SAF he'd have 42 major trophy's.....

Advertisement