Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in oz/new zealand

Options
  • 23-12-2010 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi folks,

I've just joined this site so apologies if this is on another thread. My story is i have already been to australia 3 years ago on a WHV. Now 27, with 2 years experience as a supply teacher since graduating. Mad keen to move back to oz, especially sydney. Prospects here not looking good, but would prefer to be in sydney anyway. Never realised until searching recently that it costs around $6,000 to just apply for skills visa, crazy with no certainty of a job either. I suppose it is worth it if I stay long term. Has anyone been able to obtain posts before moving to oz, like an expo event? Or sponsorship?

Also considering New zealand, as at least I can apply for a WHV as i havnt been before, the agencies there tell me I can get plenty of supply work and then hope to get skilled visa after that year.
    Any stories for anyone teaching out there would be great.

Happy xmas to all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It only costs $2575 to apply for a visa, $6000 would be all in including agents fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 diarmuid81

the information below is what a migration agency told, plus their fees were $3000 on top of that, i dont plan to use an agency. I have enough points to have a good application

475 APPLICATION COSTS
    The costs (in Australian dollars) to migrate on the 475 visa are:
    1. The skills assessment fee ($450)
    2. The government application fee ($2,575)
    3. Medical tests (approximately $350)
    4. Character/police checks (approximately $30)

But on the oz immigration website it says the following for costs:
    $2575-
    1st instalment
    $3575-
    2nd instalment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If your wife or Partner (if any) is Irish then you don't have to pay the 2nd instalment, its only for those who do not have adequate English. Only the main applicant pays the $2575 and any English speaking dependents are included.

If its just yourself then its still $2575 plus the Skills assessment and Meds/PCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Teaching jobs in Oz are a bit hit and miss. Teachers are not really in demand especially in big city areas like Sydney and Melbourne. If you are secondary qualified in the rarer subjects like woodwork, metalwork, science subjects like physics/chemistry and maths, you would have a good chance of getting sponsored by a school. However, again that's not always an ideal scenario. The schools that normally are willing to sponsor are the tough schools that can't hold onto teachers. Western Australia was sponsoring a few years back but they have now stopped, which is surprising given the huge influx of people into the mining area.
    Darwin and the NT are supposedly more willing to sponsor but the lifestyle in that area is a fair bit different, much like in Western Oz where most of the sponsorship opportunities were in remote regional areas. It's worth looking into.
    Teaching jobs are getting scarer by the day here at home and it looks like things will get worse. The gov are still cutting back and there is still a huge influx of people into profession. Many don't realise just how bad the job situation is. New Zealand has teachers on the short skills list but I think you need 3 years experience to get the points. Both countries should have plenty of subbing work though and you'd never know, you might get offered sponsorship by a Catholic school for example. The Catholic sector is growing all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 diarmuid81

Cheers for the reply mandrake, helped to clear that up. It's just a visa for myself i was looking at, so at least I know im looking at 2,200 in sterling if i decide to do it.

Tiger, thanks for the info. Even though I know loads who have been in oz and still there, I dont know anyone who has gone to teach out there so it helps to get some information on here. I have got emails from agencies kinda saying the same, no big promises of full time jobs, but they reckon plenty of supply work. My subject is business studies no not a shortage subject here or oz. thing is im getting plenty of subbing work at home so would be difficult to take the chance to go subbing in sydney or melbourne, with the costs involved. I might try your advice on the catholic schools, maybe email some of them direct about sponsorship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Tbh Diarmuid I don't think you would get sponsorship from Ireland. There just isn't the demand there for teachers. Even in the NT where there is supposedly demand, I haven't seen any of the govs come to Ireland or UK to recruit teachers. They did some years back but not anymore.
    The UK still seem to have a big demand but the conditions there can be rough in terms of behaviour and paperwork. There seems to be a big turnover in staff. You might get lucky though.

Advertisement