Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tim Cahill. £1.75Million

• 23-12-2010 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I know I am as about as fond on this forum as a Nazi in an irish pub but surely Tim Cahill is one of the finest signings by any manager in the top flight?

He ridicules players like Balotelli with his arrogance, petulance and sky high wages.

Tim Cahill, he will have a statue erected soon in his honour, with a gold plated head of course.
    :)

Interesting article here..

"Bill Kenwright recounts many stories about players he has signed for Everton but the one he tells about Tim Cahill is a personal favourite.

It goes like this. Back in the spring of 2002, David Moyes was settling into his role as manager at Goodison Park and had identified a central defender was required; one of the players he was following was Darren Purse, then of Birmingham City.

Eager to see what Purse could do in a high-pressure game, Moyes took his chairman to St Andrew’s to watch Birmingham play Millwall in the Championship play-off semi-final but his attention kept turning to the bundle of energy causing havoc here, there and everywhere.

‘I remember David leaning over to me and saying, “Bill, look at the wee black-haired boy who is running from box to box”,’ Kenwright recalled. ‘I then spent the next hour watching Tim Cahill. He was just mesmeric.’

Two years and countless spying assignments later, Cahill became an Everton player but little could

Moyes and Kenwright have imagined that the £1.75million they invested in the Australian would reap such spectacular rewards.

What Cahill has achieved in six-and-a-half goal-filled years on Merseyside in relation to what he cost gives the 31-year-old a claim to be included in the top 10 most successful transfers in the history of the Barclays Premier League.

Everton captain Phil Neville said: ‘Tim has got a hunger and fearless determination to go with his will to win and agility. He wants to succeed in everything he does and, when the big games come along, he is the one you can rely on. It makes him stand out from the rest.’

How he proved that at Manchester City on Monday. Cahill was immense in Everton’s 2-1 win and scored the opener. But just as important was the relentless running that pestered Kolo Toure and Vincent Kompany to the point of distraction.

When compared to the theatrics of Mario Balotelli and the eight minutes Pablo Zabaleta needed to have stitches in his cut, from a clash with Cahill, his attitude was a breath of fresh air.

But that is the way Cahill is and why he makes things happen for Everton in so many different ways.

The goals — 64 in 225 appearances — say a lot about what he contributes but there is more to his game than just poaching headers.

Cahill goes to war with central defenders, grappling and scrapping with them. He might not be the most technically accomplished performer but how City, for example, could do with someone of his ilk.

Neville said: ‘Before I came to Everton, I’ve got to admit I didn’t know a great deal about him other than he had been sent off for celebrating after he had scored a goal at City (in September 2004).

‘I was looking forward to playing with Duncan Ferguson and Mikel Arteta. It was only when I joined in training I saw Tim was special. He soon became the one player I would tell everyone from outside the clubabout. Now he is the one every team make plans for but nobody can stop.’

Roberto Mancini may have fumed about City’s defenders falling asleep on Monday, but Kompany and Toure are not the first to be caught napping by Cahill.

‘He is a ghost,’ Neville said. ‘Every team will have their pre-game meeting and Tim’s name is bound to figure when they start to discuss set-pieces. Everyone will be drilled, everyone will know what to expect but the amount of times he pops up unmarked is remarkable.

‘It’s a special knack. Players like Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholes have it, the ability
    to be in the right place at the right time. Tim has got it, too.’

Evidence of that is illustrated by Cahill’s haul of nine league goals this season but his hopes of contending for the Golden Boot at the end of the campaign will be dashed due to his commitments in
    the Asia Cup next month.

The repercussions for Everton could be enormous. Moyes has tried to put a brave face on Cahill’s absence, urging his team-mates to follow his example when he flies out to Qatar on January 2.

But Neville said: ‘He is going to be such a massive loss. It’s not just his goals. It’s the infectious personality and the fact he is a leader. He trains like he plays and doesn’t know any other way of doing things.

‘Everything is geared to him being in top form of a weekend, and he looks after himself through the
    week to make sure that happens.

'He believes he belongs on the biggest stage and he has shown it time and time again.’

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He ridicules players like Balotelli

Does he? Have to say he's gone up in my estimation for that.

What kind of stuff does he say to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

He has been one of the better signings. Theres no doubt about it. Where exactly he ranks is entirely a matter of opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Great player.

Thats it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

A Nazi in a Jewish pub i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

A Nazi in a Jewish pub i'd say

Yeah that wasn't the best comparison(?) from the OP I thought myself.
    Rangers fan in an Irish pub, possibly?

But yeah Cahill, great player.:P
    D'ya call him Cah-hill or Cay-hill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

baz2009 wrote: »
    Yeah that wasn't the best comparison(?) from the OP I thought myself.
    Rangers fan in an Irish pub, possibly?

Im a Cay-hill man myself!

But ye what a great player, every player in the league could learn from his ability to win headers! By no means the tallest but his reading of the ball is sensational!

And as for his contribution to every single game he plays? Unbelievable! The man is a stone cold fighter, one of those guys that just hates to lose and I dont think there's a team in this league that wouldnt want him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

'He believes he belongs on the biggest stage and he has shown it time and time again.’

I rate Cahill highly but if he believes he belongs on the biggest stage, why is he at Everton? No offense to Everton or anything, I like Everton.

Fantastic signing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He's a super player, and a complete bargain at £1.75m........... but there's definitely been at least 10 more impressive pieces of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He's a super player, and a complete bargain at £1.75m........... but there's definitely been at least 10 more impressive pieces of business.

Like who?

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Like who?
    Just for starters

15.jpg

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just for starters

15.jpg

9 more?

9 more?

I'll give ya this one too

£2.7m

hyypia_.jpg

Imagine paying £7.25 for this CM combo

c_71_article_1022718_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Quality player, the kind of player who you love to watch as a neutral but when he's against your team he drives you up the wall.
    Is there a better header of the ball in the Premier League?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

J. Marston wrote: »
    Quality player, the kind of player who you love to watch as a neutral but when he's against your team he drives you up the wall.
    Is there a better header of the ball in the Premier League?

Cay- Hillllll for me

He is awesome, Evertonians love him. If Moyes was to write out qualities of an ideal player, Cahill would tick all the boxes

Corholio wrote: »
    I rate Cahill highly but if he believes he belongs on the biggest stage, why is he at Everton? No offense to Everton or anything, I like Everton.

Fantastic signing though.

Im sure lots of players want to play in the worlds biggest stage, Stephen Ireland wants to play in the grandest biggest baddest stage of them all, but he didnt think it was aston villa reserves.

The greatest stage can be playing at a club you love, are respected and have great fans.

its not all about the money and the grass is not always greener, right stephen ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Im sure lots of players want to play in the worlds biggest stage, Stephen Ireland wants to play in the grandest biggest baddest stage of them all, but he didnt think it was aston villa reserves.

The greatest stage can be playing at a club you love, are respected and have great fans.

its not all about the money and the grass is not always greener, right stephen ;)

What's stephen ireland got to do with anything??? :confused:

The greatest stage IMO is the elite finals and tournaments. What you described is being happy in football, which there's nothing wrong with, and more power to him if he's happy there.

But he's not playing on the biggest stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Cahill to be honest does ridicule Balotelli, basically because he has a great record in the premiership, once Ballotelli knocks his 1 red per 2 games status he might begin to gain respect from the public, but untill then, he is nothing but young player of the year :P

Which imo is still to be proven, suitors in the epl could have beaten him imo, like rafael and wilshere :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Like who?

1irwin_666x450_559733a.jpg

curry-muff wrote: »
    Cahill to be honest does ridicule Balotelli, basically because he has a great record in the premiership, once Ballotelli knocks his 1 red per 2 games status he might begin to gain respect from the public, but untill then, he is nothing but young player of the year :P

Which imo is still to be proven, suitors in the epl could have beaten him imo, like rafael and wilshere :P

Balotelli is an embarrasment tbh

his work rate is about -.05 % of Cahills...

He is not fit to lace the boots of most decent players in the prem

a bit like this pussy , seems City never learn....

photoblog20robinho20festeja20sus20goles20real20madrid20420-20olympiakos202.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

9 more?

No denying that he is one of the best cheapo signings to make a mark in the Premier League in the last ten years. A consistent performer who scores and sets up goals, he is one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Im a Cay-hill man myself!
    Cay- Hillllll for me

Are ye Irish or what? It's Cah-hill for **** sake!!!!!!1112

Does my ****ing head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I dislike the phrase "gives one hundred percent" or the more ludicrous "gives one hundred and ten percent". Often those guys spend time spectating and complaining.

Tim Cahill gives more than anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

My top 5 bargain transfers. I'm talking bargains here, I mean Kenny Dalglish went for £440,000 from Celtic to Liverpool which was a British transfer record at the time, its still a great buy but not a bargain.

Kevin Keegan cost £35,000 back in 1971 when he moved to Liverpool.
    Paul McGrath £400,000 from Manchester United to Aston Villa 1989.
    Denis Irwin £675,000 from Oldham to Manchester United in 1990.
    Peter Schmeichel from Brondy to Manchester United £530,000 1991.
    Eric Cantona from Leeds United to Manchester United £1.2 million 1992.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

eagle eye wrote: »
    My top 5 bargain transfers. I'm talking bargains here, I mean Kenny Dalglish went for £440,000 from Celtic to Liverpool which was a British transfer record at the time, its still a great buy but not a bargain.

Kevin Keegan cost £35,000 back in 1971 when he moved to Liverpool.
    Paul McGrath £400,000 from Manchester United to Aston Villa 1989.
    Denis Irwin £675,000 from Oldham to Manchester United in 1990.
    Peter Schmeichel from Brondy to Manchester United £530,000 1991.
    Eric Cantona from Leeds United to Manchester United £1.2 million 1992.

They were a good few years before cahills move !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I know I am as about as fond on this forum as a Nazi in an irish pub but surely Tim Cahill is one of the finest signings by any manager in the top flight?

Good player, but no!

Player|Price
    Dennis Bergkamp|£7.5m
    Patrick Vieira|£3.5m
    Nicolas Anelka|£0.5m
    Emmanuel Petit|£2.5m
    Marc Overmars|£7.0m
    Fredrik Ljungberg|£3.0m
    Thierry Henry|£10.5m
    Lauren|£7.2m
    Robert Pires|£6.0m
    Sol Campbell|Free
    Kolo Toure|£0.15
    Gilberto Silva|£4.5m
    Cesc Fabregas|Free
    Jens Lehmann|£2.0m
    Robin Van Persie|£2.75m
    Mathieu Flamini|£1.0m
    Emmanuel Eboue|£1.0m
    Emmanuel Adebayor|£7.0m
    Theo Walcott|£9.1m
    Tomas Rosicky|£6.8m
    Alexandre Song Billong|£1.0m
    Aaron Ramsey|£5.0m
    Marouane Chamakh|Free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

baz2009 wrote: »

My Australian housemate ate the head off me for pronouncing it Cay-hill during the world cup.

Great player though, Man United could do with a player like him in the middle of the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

L'prof wrote: »
    Good player, but no!

Player|Price
    Dennis Bergkamp|£7.5m
    Patrick Vieira|£3.5m
    Nicolas Anelka|£0.5m
    Emmanuel Petit|£2.5m
    Marc Overmars|£7.0m
    Fredrik Ljungberg|£3.0m
    Thierry Henry|£10.5m
    Lauren|£7.2m
    Robert Pires|£6.0m
    Sol Campbell|Free
    Kolo Toure|£0.15
    Gilberto Silva|£4.5m
    Cesc Fabregas|Free
    Jens Lehmann|£2.0m
    Robin Van Persie|£2.75m
    Mathieu Flamini|£1.0m
    Emmanuel Eboue|£1.0m
    Emmanuel Adebayor|£7.0m
    Theo Walcott|£9.1m
    Tomas Rosicky|£6.8m
    Aaron Ramsey|£5.0m
    Marouane Chamakh|Free

With the exception of Henry, Vieira and Bergkamp, Cahill has probably been more important for Everton then any of the above ever were for Arsenal. Obviously, a few of the above are better players then Cahill, but they havent contributed to their club what Cahill has to Everton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Freddie Ljunberg 2002 was all Freddie!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Does my ****ing head in.

Where we're from has absolutely nothing to do with his name. He is from Australia and there they pronounce it Cay-hill so what way we pronounce it here has nothing to do with it. It only shows up ignorance on behalf of the Irish when they call him Cah-hill. Its his name so let him at least have the right to pronounce how he wishes.

Good player, but no!

Player|Price
    Theo Walcott|£9.1m
    Tomas Rosicky|£6.8m
    I don't think so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Kolo Toure at 0.15m seems like the best piece of business from that list imo especially when you think that after 7 seasons (the first few must have been at pretty low wages) which included him being Sol's CB partner during the invincible year and was part of the defense that got 10 consecutive clean sheets on their way to a CL final before they sold him for 16m.

Cahill was obviously brilliant business too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Domo-kun wrote: »
    Where we're from has absolutely nothing to do with his name. He is from Australia and there they pronounce it Cay-hill so what way we pronounce it here has nothing to do with it. It only shows up ignorance on behalf of the Irish when they call him Cah-hill. Its his name so let him at least have the right to pronounce how he wishes.

Actually you have it backwards. The Australians pronounce it Cah-hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Does my ****ing head in.

And by the same token, would you refer to Thierry Henry as ''Terry Henry'' or ''Thierry Hon-ree''

As Domo-kun was saying, where we are from dosent come in to it, its where they're from

tommyhaas wrote: »
    With the exception of Henry, Vieira and Bergkamp, Cahill has probably been more important for Everton then any of the above ever were for Arsenal. Obviously, a few of the above are better players then Cahill, but they havent contributed to their club what Cahill has to Everton
    I don't think so.

That's not the point I was was making, I'd have every one of those players before I'd have Cahill. Regardless of the impact they've had at the club, the OP stated that "Tim Cahill is one of the finest signings by any manager in the top flight." and I strongly disagree. I just picked players from my own club that I'd have ahead of him in that category and there's plenty more at other clubs too. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player, but the OP is way OTT in his praise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

FFS its CaHill there is no Y in there anywhere.....

That's not the point I was was making, I'd have every one of those players before I'd have Cahill. Regardless of the impact they've had at the club, the OP stated that "Tim Cahill is one of the finest signings by any manager in the top flight." and I strongly disagree. I just picked players from my own club that I'd have ahead of him in that category and there's plenty more at other clubs too. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player, but the OP is way OTT in his praise!
    The same point still applies. I'd much rather have Tim Cahill than either of Walcott or Rosicky. Two guys that spend more time injured than fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

The same point still applies. I'd much rather have Tim Cahill than either of Walcott or Rosicky. Two guys that spend more time injured than fit.

walcott is the most overrated footballer ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

In fairness, its a lot easier to make an impact at Everton than it is at Arsenal, no offense Everton.
    Take Robbie Keane as an example, lets say for arguments sake Spurs let him go for something ridiculous like £2m. Now if he goes to United he would only warm the bench most of the time, but if he went to a Championship club he could play a massive part in clinching promotion for them.
    Despite the fact that he would have made hugely different impacts at different clubs it wouldn't make him any more or less a bargain for either club.
    The deal doesn't become "better value" for either club, they still got the same player for the same price, the only thing that was different was the level of expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

super player. one of my favourite players in the league, outside of united. defo would be a good player at the bigger clubs like united, chelsea, city, spurs and arsenal.

would love him at united.

• Advertisement

I'll take your point on Rosicky, too many "if's" and "buts" surrounding him, which is a great shame, but I wouldn't even consider trading Walcott. Cahill came to the premiership from Milwall at the age of 25 whereas Walcott came from Southampton at 17. Will he ever achieve his maximum potential? Who knows, but I think he'll prove to be a very good player in the future.

Cahill is a fantastic player.

He'd be welcomed in any team in the league tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

been a fantastic signing for everton and everton are a weaker outfit without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I never heard anyone calling the general Martin Cay-hill. Shur isn't it an Irish name, just another one that the Brits can't pronounciate properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Cahill has been undoubtably one of the best bargains in PL history. He can play anywhere, always gives 100% and is the best header in the League bar none. He is a legend.

In fairness you have to add Fabregas in that as well because he has been exceptional until his recent injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Scott Parker is better

Scott Parker is better

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Good player, but no!

Player|Price
    Dennis Bergkamp|£7.5m
    Patrick Vieira|£3.5m
    Nicolas Anelka|£0.5m
    Emmanuel Petit|£2.5m
    Marc Overmars|£7.0m
    Fredrik Ljungberg|£3.0m
    Thierry Henry|£10.5m
    Lauren|£7.2m
    Robert Pires|£6.0m
    Sol Campbell|Free
    Kolo Toure|£0.15
    Gilberto Silva|£4.5m
    Cesc Fabregas|Free
    Jens Lehmann|£2.0m
    Robin Van Persie|£2.75m
    Mathieu Flamini|£1.0m
    Emmanuel Eboue|£1.0m
    Emmanuel Adebayor|£7.0m
    Theo Walcott|£9.1m
    Tomas Rosicky|£6.8m
    Aaron Ramsey|£5.0m
    Marouane Chamakh|Free

Great list, Wenger is incredible at finding talent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Great list, Wenger is incredible at finding talent.

i,m beginning to think he takes an decent player and makes em great rather that buying great players,
    Really brings out best in players,

• Advertisement
Advertisement