Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tim Cahill. £1.75Million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

:rolleyes:

by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Great list, Wenger is incredible at finding talent.

quite a chunk of them are bordering 10 million pounds so they would not apply to bargain territory here.

and scott parker is not a touch of cahill, ask any manager who they would want in their team....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

quite a chunk of them are bordering 10 million pounds so they would not apply to bargain territory here.

and scott parker is not a touch of cahill, ask any manager who they would want in their team....

5 of them are £7 million + and 7 of them are less than £1 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A Nazi in a Jewish pub i'd say
    Nazis are cool. Also I spose e has done well at a small club :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

You have to love the "nobody" signings that end up to be top class.

Wenger is king of these signings. My mate is a mad arsenal fan. I remember him telling me once that when signing a player, he get the player scouted by ten seperate scouts. Explains so many great signing, god only knows what has happen the last year or two.

Hate to highjack a thread but what are the chances of putting a list of bargain players together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think the fact he is still playing for everton shows a real lack of ambition from the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Imagine paying £7.25 for this CM combo

c_71_article_1022718_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Keane was a british record IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

slingerz wrote: »
    Keane was a british record IIRC

He was indeed, but it doesn't belittle the value IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Warper wrote: »
    Cahill has been undoubtably one of the best bargains in PL history. He can play anywhere, always gives 100% and is the best header in the League bar none. He is a legend.

Anywhere except a big club.

To be honest, he's great for the level he's at, but would be found wanting at a higher level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Great list, Wenger is incredible at finding talent.

And what has Wenger won since 2004?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

FatherTed wrote: »
    And what has Wenger won since 2004?

The FA Cup

Wenger has failed to bring in players that were quite as good what he has had before though. Henry, Bergkamp, Viera, Pires, Ljungberg, Cole, Campbell etc...

It seems everytime he replaces a great player, it's with a really good, but not quite as good player. That's not a dig at the man, just the facts as i see them.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think the fact he is still playing for everton shows a real lack of ambition from the man.

I think it shows the qualities of a player painfully lacking in todays game.

Cahill could have handed in a transfer request years ago, but clearly the term pride and passion for playing for a particular team are lost on you

Cahill doesnt need gloves, scarves or snoodie things, he is raw passion and action. suck on that mario balotelli !, (the second greatest player in the world if we are to believe)

look at players like lescott, ireland, robinho the list goes on.....spineless gutless players hell bent on seeking further glory

you could name a dozen players whose career went pete thong just because of your idealism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think it shows the qualities of a player painfully lacking in todays game.

Cahill could have handed in a transfer request years ago, but clearly the term pride and passion for playing for a particular team are lost on you

Cahill doesnt need gloves, scarves or snoodie things, he is raw passion and action. suck on that mario balotelli !, (the second greatest player in the world if we are to believe)

look at players like lescott, ireland, robinho the list goes on.....spineless gutless players hell bent on seeking further glory

you could name a dozen players whose career went pete thong just because of your idealism

He loves being adored by Everton fans, thats fair enough. Big fish in the small pond comes to mind, and again there's nothing really wrong with that. Except when history comes calling, it'll show him as not having won anything and it'll show he didn't have ambition to play for a bigger club. You'd swear Cahill was born and bred in the Wirral the way you mention pride and passion for playing for a particular club.

You could also name far more than a dozen players who won trophies and medals because of his idealism too, but I suppose deep down they weren't happy or something right?

Cahill hasn't played for a bigger club mostly because no bigger club has been banging on Everton's door demanding his services, he's just not that good. It's about levels. He is perfect for the level he is at. Can't say i'd want him in my team if we're trying to boss the game in a big Champions League game.
    It's not as if he's been giving top teams the middle finger saying he's Everton through and through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Easily one of the best pieces of business ever done in the league.

9-Tw-1993-8-B.jpg

£530,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

eagle eye wrote: »
    My top 5 bargain transfers. I'm talking bargains here, I mean Kenny Dalglish went for £440,000 from Celtic to Liverpool which was a British transfer record at the time, its still a great buy but not a bargain.

Kevin Keegan cost £35,000 back in 1971 when he moved to Liverpool.
    Paul McGrath £400,000 from Manchester United to Aston Villa 1989.
    Denis Irwin £675,000 from Oldham to Manchester United in 1990.
    Peter Schmeichel from Brondy to Manchester United £530,000 1991.
    Eric Cantona from Leeds United to Manchester United £1.2 million 1992.

Are you guys only talking about the EPL here? Because Henrik Larsson for £650,000 has to be near the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

d.anthony wrote: »
    Are you guys only talking about the EPL here? Because Henrik Larsson for £650,000 has to be near the top.

Did you not know by now that football doesn't exist outside of the Premiership

Corholio wrote: »
    He loves being adored by Everton fans, thats fair enough. Big fish in the small pond comes to mind, and again there's nothing really wrong with that. Except when history comes calling, it'll show him as not having won anything and it'll show he didn't have ambition to play for a bigger club. You'd swear Cahill was born and bred in the Wirral the way you mention pride and passion for playing for a particular club.

You could also name far more than a dozen players who won trophies and medals because of his idealism too, but I suppose deep down they weren't happy or something right?

I can name Gerrard and Carragher in the same boat, they could have left their clubs long ago if they wanted to move to a 'big' pond.

Gerrard is unlikely to have a mantlepiece of league titles to brag to his kids but you cant help but admire his passion, likewise carragher is a player probably most hated by Evertonians but he too loves nothing more than putting on the red shirt.

whose to say if Cahill moved to a 'bigger' sexier club his career would be the better for it....Everton are one of the oldest clubs in the world and the longest club playing top flight football along with Arsenal, clearly Cahill knows each time he puts on the blue shirt he is representing an institution.. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

As a red it kills me to say it but the guy is pure quality. Fantastic attitude and work rate a real plus for Everton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

If people want to throw up best ever transfers then well Messi to Barcelona blows all whats gone before out of the water. Easily the best bargain of all time /

Warper wrote: »
    If people want to throw up best ever transfers then well Messi to Barcelona blows all whats gone before out of the water. Easily the best bargain of all time /
    Didn't he come up from the academy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

You can't compare prices in the 90s to the prices today. Therefore 1.75 million would be far less if Cahill was bought in the 90s.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Didn't he come up from the academy?

Yep, I am sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

You would think with a name like Cahill the Irish granny rule would have come into play. Wikipedia says he tried to declare for Ireland prior to WC2002?! Christ how we could do with him now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Henry, Bergkamp, Pires and Overmars were not bargains?

I think compared to Veron and Rio Ferdinand who were bought around the same time they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I can name Gerrard and Carragher in the same boat, they could have left their clubs long ago if they wanted to move to a 'big' pond.

Gerrard is unlikely to have a mantlepiece of league titles to brag to his kids but you cant help but admire his passion, likewise carragher is a player probably most hated by Evertonians but he too loves nothing more than putting on the red shirt.

whose to say if Cahill moved to a 'bigger' sexier club his career would be the better for it....Everton are one of the oldest clubs in the world and the longest club playing top flight football along with Arsenal, clearly Cahill knows each time he puts on the blue shirt he is representing an institution.. :p

LOL at mentioning Gerrard and Carragher. As poor as Liverpool are now and as much as I dont like them, they're a million miles ahead of Everton in recent acheivments and ambition. Everton's 'pond' is a lot smaller than Liverpool's.

So Cahill is playing with Everton because theyre the longest club playing top flight football, and because of some ancient importance? Sure he might as well sign for Notts County then instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Henry, Bergkamp, Pires and Overmars were not bargains?

I think compared to Veron and Rio Ferdinand who were bought around the same time they were.

Massive changes happened in English football in those few years. When Arsenal signed Bergkamp, English football was vastly different than when United bought Veron. A lot, lot more money came into the game in a few years. The notions of value or sense went out the window. It is not exactly a like-for-like comparison.

Henry, Bergkamp, Pires and Overmars were also extremely well-known when they signed, they were hardly "finds". Also Bruce Rioch was actually the manager that signed Bergkamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Massive changes happened in English football in those few years. When Arsenal signed Bergkamp, English football was vastly different than when United bought Veron. A lot, lot more money came into the game in a few years. The notions of value or sense went out the window. It is not exactly a like-for-like comparison.

Henry, Bergkamp, Pires and Overmars were also extremely well-known when they signed, they were hardly "finds". Also Bruce Rioch was actually the manager that signed Bergkamp.

A bargain = value for money. All those signings were value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

But he seems more exceptional because he came from the championship at 25/26. And the kind of debates we have these days about, will he make the step up.

Does he remind anyone else like Denise Wise back in the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Tim Cahill is an exceptional player in what he has achieved in the EPL.

Most top clubs would cream themselves if they signed him for the price Everton did and would let everyone know about it too.

An exceptional talent that could be a star in every team bar Barcelona if you ask me.

One of the finest players in the air that the game has ever seen for a guy of 5' 10".

Dempsey wrote: »
    An exceptional talent that could be a star in every team bar Barcelona if you ask me.

Ronaldo, Kaka, Alonso, Pedro Leon, Di Maria, Ozil, Khedira, Cahill................. what's wrong with this picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Domo-kun wrote: »
    Where we're from has absolutely nothing to do with his name. He is from Australia and there they pronounce it Cay-hill so what way we pronounce it here has nothing to do with it. It only shows up ignorance on behalf of the Irish when they call him Cah-hill. Its his name so let him at least have the right to pronounce how he wishes.

Cay-hill is an English mispronunciation that became the predominant pronunciation globally largely due to the popularity of the film Cahill U.S. Marshall. I don't know in Tim's case, but most Cahill's abroad would make an attempt to keep to the Irish pronunciation. But sometimes it's impossible to do so, even I've reverted to cay-hill abroad to make life easier, much to my chagrin. For all you know, he could be secretly wishing everyone called him 'Cah-hill' :P
    tommyhaas wrote: »
    And by the same token, would you refer to Thierry Henry as ''Terry Henry'' or ''Thierry Hon-ree''

As Domo-kun was saying, where we are from dosent come in to it, its where they're from

But calling him "Cay-hill" is like calling Henry "Terry". :pac:

Jesus christ, why are people arguing about how to pronounce his name, who gives a shít really?

Ronaldo, Kaka, Alonso, Pedro Leon, Di Maria, Ozil, Khedira, Cahill................. what's wrong with this picture?

Easy to say that Kaka is living on his past reputation with you.

Also, Cahill is a far more consistent performer and MoTM winner than Khedira or Özil.

Throwing out fancy foreign names that have signed for Real Madrid means fcuk all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Jesus christ, why are people arguing about how to pronounce his name, who gives a shít really?

Ah relax, it's not like it's the first time a thread has gone off-topic on these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

DH2K9 wrote: »
    You can't compare prices in the 90s to the prices today. Therefore 1.75 million would be far less if Cahill was bought in the 90s.

+10000000000
    People never get this. It's ridiculous the way Keane and the like are always mentioned when this subject comes up. And then the response of ''well Keane (or whoever) was a bargain considering how good he was''.. ugh. If that's the criteria then why not use Rooney and Drogba too? Cahill is in a completely different price bracket to those early 90's signings.

Very good player and very cheap but let's not get carried away. He's at his level at Everton. Any top club would like to have him in the squad but he wouldn't be in their first 11 plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

DH2K9 wrote: »
    A bargain = value for money. All those signings were value for money.

That is not the point, they were being compared in terms of money spent directly to transfers which took place in a different financial climate. I didn't say they weren't value for money. I was also responding to claims that Wenger "found" Bergkamp (who he did not sign) or Pires (who had already set up a winning goal in the European Championship Final).

Rio Ferdinand, one of the players in question, has also clearly been value for money given United's success and his role in it. Veron obviously was not value for money.

Also, bargain normally implies that the transaction took place at a special or discounted price. Not that it is value for money. Rio for example, was value for money but was not a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

£650,000 for 242 competitive goals.

henrik_larsson_682x_530364a.jpg

• Advertisement

Also, Cahill is a far more consistent performer and MoTM winner than Khedira or Özil.

Throwing out fancy foreign names that have signed for Real Madrid means fcuk all

You think Ronaldo, Kaka and Di Maria are just fancy names? Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If he's good enough to play for any team but Barca then how come he's only played for Milwall and Everton?

Surely if he's that good a big club would have come in for him by now.

Don't get me wrong I like Cahill as a player but Everton is about his level tbf.

Corholio wrote: »
    LOL at mentioning Gerrard and Carragher. As poor as Liverpool are now and as much as I dont like them, they're a million miles ahead of Everton in recent acheivments and ambition. Everton's 'pond' is a lot smaller than Liverpool's.

So Cahill is playing with Everton because theyre the longest club playing top flight football, and because of some ancient importance? Sure he might as well sign for Notts County then instead.

In terms of actually winning the grandest trophy of them all (the title), Liverpool are no bigger than Everton tbh.

Gerrard has won no league title with Liverpool and never will, Im admiring his passion for playing for Liverpool and declining moves to clubs where he could win more, thats all.

exactly!

Pro. F wrote: »
    +10000000000
    People never get this. It's ridiculous the way Keane and the like are always mentioned when this subject comes up. And then the response of ''well Keane (or whoever) was a bargain considering how good he was''.. ugh. If that's the criteria then why not use Rooney and Drogba too? Cahill is in a completely different price bracket to those early 90's signings.

Very good player and very cheap but let's not get carried away. He's at his level at Everton. Any top club would like to have him in the squad but he wouldn't be in their first 11 plans.

i think that is utter bs actually, i love this rose tinted outlook some fans have, how old are you btw? i bet you are a member of the united bandwagon when they were churning in titles year after year...

exactly!
    You think Ronaldo, Kaka and Di Maria are just fancy names? Are you serious?

Same question to you

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    If he's good enough to play for any team but Barca then how come he's only played for Milwall and Everton?

Surely if he's that good a big club would have come in for him by now.

Don't get me wrong I like Cahill as a player but Everton is about his level tbf.

I dont know, you'd have to ask him but I haven't confused his sense of loyalty with lack of ambition. I definitely couldnt see him going to another club to be rotated and get honours in a Jonathan Greening type way.

Just because he has only played for Everton & Millwall doesnt mean that he isnt good enough and couldn't play well for other top European Clubs.

I think you want to oversimplify the criteria for what makes a really good player and what doesnt.

I think you want to oversimplify the criteria for what makes a really good player and what doesnt.

But you think he'd get into the Real Madrid team ahead of the others listed above? Since you believe Ronaldo, Kaka and Di Maria are "fancy names" correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I definitely couldnt see him going to another club to be rotated and get honours in a Jonathan Greening type way.

:confused:

Domo-kun wrote: »
    :confused:

He has a Champions League Winner's Medal despite not playing one minute of UCL football that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Frisbee wrote: »
    The FA Cup

So has Portsmouth. Next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement